Worst parts about the movie?

Started by BishopShouldGo, May 20, 2017, 01:26:49 AM

Author
Worst parts about the movie? (Read 21,835 times)

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

David's long hair! How did he cut it perfectly like Walter's? Just keep it short, we would've assumed android hair doesn't grow!

The CGI aliens.

The stupid chestburster copying what David did. What the f**k was that? And what was that other shit with the full grown neomorph? Breathe up his nose or some shit and he'll trust you?

The lack of intensity, scares or suspense.

The fact that it actually wasn't all that gory. I thought it was going to be way gorier. Ledward being slumped over was a nice touch though.

The joking at the end. "Could you help a woman up?!" Ughhhhhh.

That one shot of the Covenant that looked so fake ughhhhh awkward.

Lope and Walter receiving underwhelming ends to their characters.

The stupid shower scene. Just kill 'em in another way? Have 'em get impaled in the hallway.

Tennessee awkwardly just being asleep in the chamber.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 20, 2017, 01:26:49 AM
David's long hair! How did he cut it perfectly like Walter's? Just keep it short, we would've assumed android hair doesn't grow!

The CGI aliens.

The stupid chestburster copying what David did. What the f**k was that? And what was that other shit with the full grown neomorph? Breathe up his nose or some shit and he'll trust you?

The lack of intensity, scares or suspense.

The fact that it actually wasn't all that gory. I thought it was going to be way gorier. Ledward being slumped over was a nice touch though.

The joking at the end. "Could you help a woman up?!" Ughhhhhh.

That one shot of the Covenant that looked so fake ughhhhh awkward.

Lope and Walter receiving underwhelming ends to their characters.

The stupid shower scene. Just kill 'em in another way? Have 'em get impaled in the hallway.

Tennessee awkwardly just being asleep in the chamber.

-Sometimes you just have to buy into the movie's bullshit. :)

-Alien see, Alien do.

-I thought most of it was very well done.

-Yeah, it wasn't scary at all, but I'd say it was creepy.

-But when it was it laid on the pizza sauce pretty heavy, but no it wasn't a gorefest.

-Yeah, silly line. Could've been cut.

-What shot are you referring to?

-I agree with both. I still don't understand how Lope got impregnated in like five seconds. I guess facehuggers have super sperm!

-Yeah, the scene was just dumb. Good deaths though.

-I don't recall that moment for some reason.

Also,

I thought it was silly for some the characters to go wondering off alone when they were at the Citadel.

BishopShouldGo

I can accept that. People just go off alone sometimes.

Highland

Highland

My main problem and this is with both movies, is that universe seems to be only populated with one intelligent being - David. The humans are dumb, the Engineers are potentially dumber, the creatures are dumb, everything that happens in covenant is tied back to someone doing something that is just unbelievably dumb. Wandering about planets masks off, sticking your heads in eggs, spilling liquid at your weapons facility, jumping into the jaws of a giant crane, not thinking that your Android buddy might not be your Android buddy....

This thread won't get much traction and the negative comments will subside, but yeah, I just can't quite grasp how incredibly brainless everything populating these movies seem.

marrerom

marrerom

The only part of this film I really didn't like was the "Alien vision".

SupraKirk

SupraKirk

Quote from: Highland on May 20, 2017, 04:14:26 AM
My main problem and this is with both movies, is that universe seems to be only populated with one intelligent being - David. The humans are dumb, the Engineers are potentially dumber, the creatures are dumb, everything that happens in covenant is tied back to someone doing something that is just unbelievably dumb. Wandering about planets masks off, sticking your heads in eggs, spilling liquid at your weapons facility, jumping into the jaws of a giant crane, not thinking that your Android buddy might not be your Android buddy....

This thread won't get much traction and the negative comments will subside, but yeah, I just can't quite grasp how incredibly brainless everything populating these movies seem.

I love and agree with most of your posts.

I'm such a fanboy. I want to like Covenant so bad, but good grief I can not get over how atrocious the writing is for plot development. It's infuriating seeing how dumb "space explorers" are. Especially when you can easily just write the scene a different way. So many of the bad parts are fixable. It's just too abundant out the film though.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: marrerom on May 20, 2017, 04:19:14 AM
The only part of this film I really didn't like was the "Alien vision".

Yea the Alien vision is one of my minor nitpicks with the movie.  I didn't care for it any more than I cared for the fisheye view that Alien 3 used for it's Alien Vision.  I'm not entirely sure what would be a good Alien Vision though, to be honest.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SupraKirk on May 20, 2017, 05:50:25 AM
Quote from: Highland on May 20, 2017, 04:14:26 AM

I love and agree with most of your posts.

I'm such a fanboy. I want to like Covenant so bad, but good grief I can not get over how atrocious the writing is for plot development. It's infuriating seeing how dumb "space explorers" are. Especially when you can easily just write the scene a different way. So many of the bad parts are fixable. It's just too abundant out the film though.

Yeah and I think that's why it's infuriating, you can have almost the same movie with the same outcome but just smarter. The past few days I've started to think maybe I'm just not getting it, maybe it's just supposed to be a slasher B movie.

Hudson

Hudson

I have other issues with this area of the plot, but yes, the initial reveal of what he looked like struck me as odd. Why did he suddenly stop caring about his appearance? He seemed pretty into his appearance when he was alone on the Prometheus.

QuoteThe CGI aliens.

They looked pretty terrible. My take on CGI is, if your eye can see that it's CGI, then it's already failed. Of course, this is 99.9% of the time that CGI is used. Special Effects are created so the audience doesn't have to suspend their disbelief, but they always have to with CGI.

QuoteThe stupid chestburster copying what David did. What the f**k was that? And what was that other shit with the full grown neomorph? Breathe up his nose or some shit and he'll trust you?

This was easily the worst moment in the film and I'm surprised at how many people seem okay with it. Alien see Alien do? It thinks David is it's parent? None of this has ever appeared in the series and we're suddenly just explaining it away so easily instead of interrogating why the ridiculous scene is present. It made the Alien look funny, not scary. It was absurd and parodic, just a few degrees away from the Spaceballs scene to be frank.

QuoteThe lack of intensity, scares or suspense.

I agree, and this was an issue with Prometheus. One of the things so great about Alien and Aliens is that there's a constant feeling of danger. Alien 3 failed at that, which is one of it's major flaws (even without the capture/release sequence). For instance, the scene where Aaron and Ripley use the bioscan. The Alien is on the loose regardless of what version, yet the characters don't really seem that worried.

Some of the time it seems like the characters in Covenant are scared, other times not. They're able to let their guard down pretty fast at times, like after they first meet David. The time spent on that planet in his Kurtz-esque domain is pretty boring at times.

QuoteThe fact that it actually wasn't all that gory. I thought it was going to be way gorier. Ledward being slumped over was a nice touch though.

Interesting. I thought they actually made a concerted effort to add some more gore. The Alien headbites were particularly bloody and of course the med bay scene you mentioned. I guess Ledward is the dude's name. He reminded me of the anonymous people on the Prometheus.

QuoteThe joking at the end. "Could you help a woman up?!" Ughhhhhh.

It was even worse, "Could you help a 'girl' up?"

QuoteThat one shot of the Covenant that looked so fake ughhhhh awkward.

Which shot is this referring to? I mean...nothing in the film ever looked real. If they used practical Alien costumes as I've heard, I could not discern when. They looked CG at all times.

QuoteLope and Walter receiving underwhelming ends to their characters.

I agree and didn't see the point of Walter's death happening off screen. As soon as David changes his hair it's obvious that he's going to replace Walter. And if that doesn't give it away, the foreshadowing of David holding the recorder or whatever that flute was up to Walter's mouth was so blatant I thought he was going to kill him right that second. We knew David was going to kill Walter or impersonate him at least, so the coyness of the cut before the deed is done feels like I'm being treated like a child. I'm not as stupid as this movie wants me to be. Maybe a little, but not that much.

QuoteThe stupid shower scene. Just kill 'em in another way? Have 'em get impaled in the hallway.

This I disagree with. I thought the shower scene was fine. Why? I thought it was relatable because people in the Alien series are never killed by an Alien when it interrupts their normal routine. Maybe it's a horror trope, but this isn't a slasher movie. 

QuoteTennessee awkwardly just being asleep in the chamber.

Is this a reference to the scene transition? I guess I didn't find it too jarring. I mean I just watched both AvP movies last week, so the editing in this film might as well win the Oscar.

Highland

Highland

I thought Alien 3 was quite scary, I know at the time I was definitely thinking that at any moment it was going to jump out and there were tons of tense scenes ( the candles, when Ripley goes looking etc). I guess there's a big age difference in me now though so there's that.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Highland on May 20, 2017, 06:46:57 AM
I thought Alien 3 was quite scary, I know at the time I was definitely thinking that at any moment it was going to jump out and there were tons of tense scenes ( the candles, when Ripley goes looking etc). I guess there's a big age difference in me now though so there's that.

The thing is, when the characters aren't scared, the atmosphere of the scene isn't scary to me. Aaron and Ripley aren't scared the Alien could attack at any time and they won't be able to defend themselves. Aaron does a quick look over his shoulder I think, but that's pretty weak. He seems sort of nervous but if it was me, I'd probably be shaking in my boots until I got killed by the thing.

But again, when they're gathered at the furnace talking about Plan B, no one appears to be scared that the Alien will attack. In Alien 3, there are very clean cut times throughout the second half of the movie where you feel safe. In Alien, I don't think it's ever like that partly because of the lower number of people and partly because of the claustrophobia. In Aliens, you never know when they'll attack, especially in the special edition when they attack the sentry guns twice, and there's a lot of tension there.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Hudson on May 20, 2017, 06:17:27 AM
The stupid chestburster copying what David did.

This was easily the worst moment in the film and I'm surprised at how many people seem okay with it. Alien see Alien do? It thinks David is it's parent? None of this has ever appeared in the series and we're suddenly just explaining it away so easily instead of interrogating why the ridiculous scene is present.

I accept the baby chestburster moment in "Covenant" for three reasons.
- Chestbursters can have arms. This is seen in "Aliens" Special Edition at about 1:12:52 when a chestburster emerges and is burned.
- A baby xeno / human hybrid did bond with Ripley in A4. That movie had problems but the concept was established.
- Finally, in "Covenant" David wants to create a xeno creature army not only to kill humans but to replace them.
David's character is social in parts of "Prometheus". He studied human behavior in that movie.
If all the humans are dead after "Covenant", who is David going to socialize with?
The xeno creatures.
It is natural that he would want to begin ways to communicate with them imo.

;)

Gash

Gash

I thought the bleached blonde hair of Peter O'Toole/Lawrence of Arabia having grown out was a neat touch. Frankly just to have a robot with growing hair is a neat touch too.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I didn't mind the hair, cgi or little groot. The thing about scares and gore, we're probably just too old to be bothered by it anymore. Bad jokes aside I thought the Covenant looked fine for the most part. Lope and Walter did have underwhelming deaths, no doubt about it. The shower scene was also underwhelming and it's a fat guy in a suit. Yea that's my opinion on the questions the OP posed.

However the worst part about the movie for me is that it took the alien out of the creature. It's officially a robot manufacturer death machine. I suppose the hubris is that man shouldn't make machines that are smarter than us.

FreeFacehugz

FreeFacehugz

The very worst thing about the movie and pretty much what ruined it was how the Xeno was treated.
Let me say I think the design was great, but the execution of it in scenes comparable to AvP and some dodgy CGI spoiled what could have been a great movie.
Ridley has bashed AvP a number of times so I really still cannot get my head around what the f**k he was thinking with the last 45 mins of the movie. The shot of Daniels swinging off the rescue ship blasting at it. I thought my eyes were gonna roll into the back of my brain. Hard to watch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed