[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films.

Started by bacchus, May 13, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Author
[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films. (Read 94,715 times)

SM

I know he's made comparisons between ATMOM and Alien on a Lovecraft doco, and I think he's made comparisons to Prometheus.

But ultimately it was down to cash.

Immortan Jonesy

Now I wonder how much money he wanted for his ATMOM. More money than Prometheus budget?

Kradan

Probably he wanted All The Money in The World

Spoiler
[close]

SM

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 10, 2019, 12:26:33 AM
Now I wonder how much money he wanted for his ATMOM. More money than Prometheus budget?

$150 million

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Well, I don't blame them now. I love Lovecraft and all, but that budget is very expensive and risky for a horror movie.

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 10, 2019, 12:30:40 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps not so risky anymore though.

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 10, 2019, 12:42:40 AM
Well, I don't blame them now. I love Lovecraft and all, but that budget is very expensive and risky for a horror movie.

Spoiler
[close]

https://media.giphy.com/media/AVBIq6OhZyM4E/giphy.gif

Spoiler
[close]

Lmao  ;D

SM

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 10, 2019, 12:42:40 AM

Spoiler
[close]

https://media.giphy.com/media/AVBIq6OhZyM4E/giphy.gif

Spoiler
[close]

He had Tom Cruise and James Cameron on board, but even then it's a big ask.  IT made $700m but only cost $35m, and scary clowns is an easy sell.  HPL is not.  Nor is Del Toro really.  Pacific Rim made over $400m - but cost $190m.  His other stuff doesn't come near that kind of box office though.

The Old One

The Old One

R-rated film is massive now though.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 10, 2019, 02:38:36 AM
R-rated film is massive now though.

Besides of IT? Which was cheaper than the undone ATMOM.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2019, 03:55:34 AM
Top 20 R-Rated horror movies of all time - IT is the only horror film.

In the list one can find  "The Exorcist". It's an old movie though, and very cheap for today's standards. Since our current off topic discussion is about, whether an expensive R rating horror movie is a big risk or not, we can reach the consensus that it is not profitable even today. Also, people loves clowns.

SM

Yep. It's much accessible than Elder Things.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 09, 2019, 11:37:56 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 09, 2019, 02:32:32 AM
According to Del Toro ATMOM got canned because he wanted to make a very expensive R-rated movie and the studio said no.

I've learned something today. Seriously, I thought Prometheus was guilty for that one.  :laugh:

He did also say Prometheus came into play: Guillermo Del Toro Says 'Prometheus' Has Killed 'At The Mountains Of Madness' Because They Both Have The Same Final Twist

https://www.indiewire.com/2012/05/guillermo-del-toro-says-prometheus-has-killed-at-the-mountains-of-madness-because-they-both-have-the-same-final-twist-252233/

QuotePrometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.

This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM.

The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, after Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.

The good part is: One project did... And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received.

Onwards.

SiL

Sounds more like he was saying it would be hard to revitalise the project having been shelved because of the similarities, rather than the similarities shelving the project.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed