[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films.

Started by bacchus, May 13, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Author
[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films. (Read 94,604 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 04, 2019, 02:29:01 PM
According to my Google-Fu, Antarctica froze over 30 million years ago: long before modern humans walked the Earth.  I therefore can't help but wonder why the predators built a pyramid there complete with a sacrificial chamber meant for humans.

It's a great place to hide such a facility. Antarctica is still a very under-explored continent even in this day and age. They're still discovering new species of sea life there. The Predators would have been aware that man would evolve and eventually explore every nook and cranny of the planet thoroughly bar the very most inhospitable places.

And if the Predators should lose control of the Aliens then it's a very contained place. There's no risk of outbreak near large population centers as we saw in the flashback scenes.

OmegaZilla

According to my Google-Fu, Antarctica froze over 30 million years ago: long before modern humans walked the Earth.  I therefore can't help but wonder why the predators built a pyramid there complete with a sacrificial chamber meant for humans.
it obv is an alternate history where antarctica didn't freeze over till there was a civilization in it

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 04, 2019, 06:29:22 PM

It's a great place to hide such a facility. Antarctica is still a very under-explored continent even in this day and age. They're still discovering new species of sea life there. The Predators would have been aware that man would evolve and eventually explore every nook and cranny of the planet thoroughly bar the very most inhospitable places.

And if the Predators should lose control of the Aliens then it's a very contained place. There's no risk of outbreak near large population centers as we saw in the flashback scenes.

The places that test the physical and mental limits of human beings are the most similar to an alien planet (arid or frozen deserts). In addition, the deep sea. I bet there are many species there, waiting to be discovered.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Omegamorph on Oct 04, 2019, 06:46:55 PM

it obv is an alternate history where antarctica didn't freeze over till there was a civilization in it

That or the predators brought ancient humans with them to that pyramid whenever it was time for their rite.  Otherwise, that's a pretty dang different alternate history since it involves our planet's geological past.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Indeed. Many of these fringe concepts come from pseudoscientific theories, conspiracies and even mythology.

Quote from: WikipediaIn Greek mythology the Hyperboreans  were a race of giants who lived "beyond the North Wind". The Greeks thought that Boreas, the god of the North Wind (one of the Anemoi, or "Winds") lived in Thrace, and therefore Hyperborea indicates that it is a region beyond Thrace.

This land was supposed to be perfect, with the sun shining twenty-four hours a day, which to modern ears suggests a possible location within the Arctic Circle during the midnight sun-time of year. However, it is also possible that Hyperborea had no real physical location at all, for according to the classical Greek poet Pindar...

Hyperborea.

Quote from: Jason Colavitothe idea of pyramids buried in the frozen Antarctic must send shivers of delight up the spines of the supporters of the Flem-Aths, who popularized the Antarctica-as-Atlantis theory in the 1990s.

Pyramids in Antarctica? Where's the Proof?

Quote from: Jason ColavitoWhile At the Mountains of Madness was a work of fiction, a sort of horrific inversion of Hyperborea at the antipodes, a determined group of ufologists and fringe historians have been trying desperately to make it a reality. Maybe Charles Hapgood and Graham Hancock did too good a job imagining Antarctica as the home a lost Ice Age civilization. Or maybe Antarctica is just the only place left on Earth where an alien city could plausibly exist without someone noticing.

The Conspiracy about the Lost Alien City in Antarctica Turns from "At the Mountains of Madness" to "The Thing"

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 04, 2019, 07:23:41 PM

That or the predators brought ancient humans with them to that pyramid whenever it was time for their rite.  Otherwise, that's a pretty dang different alternate history since it involves our planet's geological past.

Head canon, but maybe they had found an unknown or utterly lost human civilization living in Antarctica. I wonder if Voodoo knows something.

The Old One

The Old One

Prometheus, as it is, even unbelievable is more believable than AVP's continuity because of the ambiguity.

SM

None of AvP takes place in Antarctica apart from one shot of a helicopter flying over the Ross Ice Shelf.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, true.

Local Trouble

I never knew that Bouvet Island was so far away from the actual continent.

Immortan Jonesy

Indeed!  :o

However, it is a safe place for a for a pyramid, safe from modern humans (that is why it is isolated). Then it is time to release the bait to attract a handful of unlucky humans. Also, if something goes wrong, the Alien infestation cannot leave the island. Think of an Anthrax Island. 🤔

Local Trouble

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 05, 2019, 02:03:49 AMAlso, if something goes wrong, the Alien infestation cannot leave the island. Think of an Anthrax Island. 🤔

Spoiler

Samhain13

There was a ship with like hundreds of Predators there. Those aliens weren't going anywhere.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

But why the predators built a pyramid there?

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 04, 2019, 09:20:23 PM
Prometheus, as it is, even unbelievable is more believable than AVP's continuity because of the ambiguity.

I agree, But I feel empathy for Charles Bishop Weyland. He just wanted to be remembered. On the other hand, Peter Weyland was an egomaniac and selfish man, obsessed with fairy tales, in the quest for biological immortality.

Huggs

Chuck was a winner.

Pete was a wiener.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 05, 2019, 02:13:22 AM
There was a ship with like hundreds of Predators there. Those aliens weren't going anywhere.

If they made it to Australia, they'd just fit right in with the rest of its lethal wildlife.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed