Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,210 times)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 24, 2017, 01:27:30 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:17:18 PM
So you don't believe this site represents fans views in general? What exactly are you suggesting, that the majority of fans on this particular site have different views from other fans and are wrong about the film?

Yet these percentages are largely in line with review pages such as RT as well. The same goes for Prometheus.
I don't believe this site (or any fan site, for that matter) represents fan views in general. I don't say, and never have said, that liking a film others dislike is wrong, and vice versa.

The point I am making is any poll of fans is a fair representation of the fanbase as a whole.

Statistically Covenant is regarded as above average whether you like that or not. As someone who loves the film I accept i'm in the minority. As someone who hates it, you also need to accept the fact you are the minority.
Did you even read what I wrote?

[/quote]

Yes

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 24, 2017, 12:40:09 PM
What's even more problematic with your post is that you seem to think that what's important is that he's on the minority on this site, rather than what he actually says. Even if Covenant was hated by 99% of the people on this site and only loved by 1%, it wouldn't have made his argument stronger or weaker in any way.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:17:18 PM
You feel the opening scenes are pointless and an example of bad direction yet I think they are vital, so am I wrong and you right? does this mean you have a greater appreciation of film direction than I? at time your arrogance astounds me.
Sigh...no, all it means is that you get personally offended by someone stating their opinion on a film...again.
[/quote]

I don't get personally offended by you or anyone else stating an opinion on this film or any other. You keep saying I do but you are very wrong.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:43:42 PM
I don't get personally offended by you or anyone else stating an opinion on this film or any other. You keep saying I do but you are very wrong.
Then why would you say I'm arrogant and that I think I have "greater appreciation of film direction" than you? All I did was write a pretty detailed opinion about Scott's directorial issues with Covenant. I didn't so much as mention you.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Oh how I do love a forum!

It takes a while to figure out whose opinions you respect (whether you agree with them is another matter).

Less so to figure out who are the quacks!

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 24, 2017, 01:47:54 PM
Oh how I do love a forum!

It takes a while to figure out whose opinions you respect (whether you agree with them is another matter).

Less so to figure out who are the quacks!

^this. You can respect someone's opinion while not sharing it.

Hemi

Hemi

Opinion: I think this movie sucks imo

Arrogance: This movie sucks

Why it sucks is usually a good way to deflate the arguments of folk on the boards. If you simply do not give any good argument of why you think the movie sucks then yes...you are arrogant. If you clearly state it's your opinion then hey! You ROCK!

Always be as constructive. State the case of the sucking and why. Same goes for the blind love and fanboyism. (see Prometheus boards ;-) ) Use valid arguments and don't cop-out with comics and director commentary or saying that EVERYTHING is fcking canon...but hey....THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!!!

Hide

Hide

Guys, you can still like the movie.
But you can't force us to like it.

My favourite Alien movie is the first one.
I don't hate Ridley, he is just not the artist he used to be.

Maybe I will post some things about the choices he has made with this one,
like the earth-like planet, and the classical Greek-Roman architecture.

But the flaws are so many that I could write a Thesis for the wrongs of the movie and
I don't have the time for this now.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Hide on Aug 24, 2017, 04:19:16 PM
Guys, you can still like the movie.
But you can't force us to like it.

My favourite Alien movie is the first one.
I don't hate Ridley, he is just not the artist he used to be.

Maybe I will post some things about the choices he has made with this one,
like the earth-like planet, and the classical Greek-Roman architecture.

But the flaws are so many that I could write a Thesis for the wrongs of the movie and
I don't have the time for this now.

Nobody is trying to make you like it but that works both ways you know.

As for Ridley, his career is littered with devisive films and Covenant is one of them. He has also periodically made films that are extremely popular and acclaimed, the Martian being the most recent.

I don't think you can justify saying he's no longer the artist he once was when he can still produce films like the Martian.. He hasn't lost his mojo, he's always made films of varying quality from a populist point of view.

As many have pointed out, he has always been only as good as his script. What he always delivers is visually and Covenant is no different. You may not like the earth like aesthetic but it's still beautifully presented to my eyes anyway.

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

The Earth-like planet does no bother me at all. The colonists are heading towards a planet they intend to make their home, building log cabins on the lake etc. So we know right from the outset that if they've stumbled across a planet that is even more suited to their needs, it's going to be Earth-like. The trailers suggested it was paradise, so I was expecting it to be portrayed as a sort of empty Garden of Eden, which it was.

If this is the main thrust of your argument to dislike the film, (and it's the only you've mentioned repeatedly so it's a major issue for you)  then it's a pretty feeble thing to get hung up on.

You haven't elaborated on much else except to assert that it's a masterclass in bad direction. It clearly isn't, so I remain baffled by your posts.

If it doesn't follow the story route you'd personally prefer then that's just a matter of opinion. You're just not doing a good job of presenting a reasonable argument.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Hamster1066 on Aug 24, 2017, 07:13:40 PM
The Earth-like planet does no bother me at all. The colonists are heading towards a planet they intend to make their home, building log cabins on the lake etc. So we know right from the outset that if they've stumbled across a planet that is even more suited to their needs, it's going to be Earth-like. The trailers suggested it was paradise, so I was expecting it to be portrayed as a sort of empty Garden of Eden, which it was.

If this is the main thrust of your argument to dislike the film, (and it's the only you've mentioned repeatedly so it's a major issue for you)  then it's a pretty feeble thing to get hung up on.

You haven't elaborated on much else except to assert that it's a masterclass in bad direction. It clearly isn't, so I remain baffled by your posts.

If it doesn't follow the story route you'd personally prefer then that's just a matter of opinion. You're just not doing a good job of presenting a reasonable argument.

I thought the planet looked quite beautiful and was certainly my idea of paradise. I also liked that Davids decaying necropolis was such a start contrast to thIs. Heaven and hell indeed.

SM

SM

Quote from: Hamster1066 on Aug 24, 2017, 12:01:26 PM
Perhaps Hide could supply an example or two of a film masterpiece so we can gauge his quality meter?

Since all he can provide is a vague 'go look at Alien' I'm going with 'No.'

Quote56% of fans on this site. 33% of fans on this site. This silly notion as if polls on this site accurately represent fan response to a film really needs to stop. Go visit the Prometheus fan reviews page. 66.7% loved it and 22.6% were on the fence. Would you say that it would be fair, based on those numbers, to refer to Prometheus as a well-liked film?

Yes.  The scores by fans on this site are fairly in line with critics and or the wider movie going public (as far as we can tell from things like IMDB).

But as erroneous as some people trying to push personal agendas about how 'everyone hates Prometheus and Covenant' are - they shouldn't be 'stopped'.  Just challenged.

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

Quote from: SM on Aug 24, 2017, 09:42:53 PM
Quote from: Hamster1066 on Aug 24, 2017, 12:01:26 PM
Perhaps Hide could supply an example or two of a film masterpiece so we can gauge his quality meter?

Since all he can provide is a vague 'go look at Alien' I'm going with 'No.'

I've looked at Alien, a very creepy slow burn horror film, but it doesn't give me any insight on why Covenant is, in Hides words, a masterclass in bad direction. Even if you don't like the script it's still more likely a masterclass in good direction despite that.

SM

SM

More than likely.

I'm really not sure what he's talking about.  I went looking for examples of bad directing and someone mentioned Clerks, in terms of the basic and uninspired camera work (which Kevin Smith openly admits to).  But is that bad direction, or is it bad cinematography?  Similarly directors work with the writer, so when does bad writing become bad directing?  Same with editing.  Assuming the director doesn't have multiple roles - what exactly constitutes bad directing?  Particularly in relation to Covenant.

Hide

Hide

You think this is a good movie, or even a masterpiece. That's fine.
There is no use of trying to make you not liking the movie. You liked it, good for you.
You got your Alien movie that you thought you deserved.

Can all of us that we hated it, post our opinion?

I don't have the time or the energy to explain to you why a completely earth-like
scenery handled like this doesn't work.

The movie is so flawed,for me, in so many levels
(story, direction, art direction, characterization, performances, settings, vfx)
that just analysing the earth-like setting is the tip of the iceberg.

some of the problems are in numerous videos like this,

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Hide on Aug 25, 2017, 12:01:31 AM
I don't have the time or the energy to explain to you why a completely earth-like

But you have the time to post negative one-liners about Covenant in every thread...

SM

SM

Right.

Quote from: Hide on Aug 25, 2017, 12:01:31 AM
You think this is a good movie, or even a masterpiece. That's fine.
There is no use of trying to make you not liking the movie. You liked it, good for you.
You got your Alien movie that you thought you deserved.

Can all of us that we hated it, post our opinion?

The movie is so flawed,for me, in so many levels
(story, direction, art direction, characterization, performances, settings, vfx)
that just analysing the earth-like setting is the tip of the iceberg.

I'm interested in the detail of what you don't like - since you keep repeating ad nauseum how badly directed it was.  And continue to fail to provide any detail about.

Stop trying to make out that people are trying to silence your opinion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed