Could have been better. (2/5)
61 (13.3%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 457

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 286,288 times)

SM

SM

In what way is it badly directed?

dave1978

dave1978

Cant help but keep going back to the stats at the top of this topic,   56% of fans will disagree with you and a futher 33% would be on the fence.  Give it a rest,  your in the minority and no ammount of youtube videos will convince us otherwise.

SM

SM

Popular opinion doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

It's the hard and fast statements like 'it's a masterclass in how to not direct a movie' I find baffling.

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

Perhaps Hide could supply an example or two of a film masterpiece so we can gauge his quality meter? I find his statements baffling so some context would be helpful.

Hide

Hide

One quality masterpiece that firstly comes to my mind is "ALIEN".
A master class of "how to direct a movie".

It isn't considered a classic for nothing.   

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The direction really wasn't the problem with Covenant (although the pacing was definitely off in the second half). Once again, like Prometheus, most of the faults came from the script.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: dave1978 on Aug 24, 2017, 11:05:05 AM
Cant help but keep going back to the stats at the top of this topic,   56% of fans will disagree with you and a futher 33% would be on the fence.  Give it a rest,  your in the minority and no ammount of youtube videos will convince us otherwise.
56% of fans on this site. 33% of fans on this site. This silly notion as if polls on this site accurately represent fan response to a film really needs to stop. Go visit the Prometheus fan reviews page. 66.7% loved it and 22.6% were on the fence. Would you say that it would be fair, based on those numbers, to refer to Prometheus as a well-liked film?

What's even more problematic with your post is that you seem to think that what's important is that he's on the minority on this site, rather than what he actually says. Even if Covenant was hated by 99% of the people on this site and only loved by 1%, it wouldn't have made his argument stronger or weaker in any way.

As for what Hide actually said, I don't think Covenant is a master class in how not to direct a film. It was pretty well directed overall, though I'd still put it among Ridley Scott's weaker material. It's still better than what most directors would've done, but nothing that's really praiseworthy either. Examples of bad direction in this film would include leaving redundant scenes in the film, while removing scenes of actual value.

For example: the opening prologue, while being a very good scene, is not needed in the film. Almost all of the information given to the audience in that scene is given to the audience again via David during his conversations with the Covenant crew in Engineerville. The only thing that scene adds is making some sense out of David's radical character transformation between Prometheus and Covenant. In Prometheus, David was a shady, yet remarkably humane android with a hint at an inferiority complex. He was obeying orders in an attempt to appease Weyland, while also resenting other people for looking down on him. In Covenant, he's basically space Hitler with a hobby for genetics (mind you, his specialty in Prometheus was linguistics). This whole character transformation happens off-screen due to a bad screenplay, so it needs to be explained somehow. That scene's whole purpose is to tell the audience that David's Hitler mustache started growing way back on Earth. If that's the whole purpose of the scene, it could've been completely removed and just served as a quick conversation flashback during the Engineerville parts that would only show the immortality discussion. Everything else is a waste of the audience's time.

Another example is the deleted material. Anyone who watched it can tell that a huge chunk of it is character development. So are some of the viral scenes of this film. I personally don't think adding them to the film would've saved it, but they would definitely have improved it. Their absence is why so many people are complaining about the first act of Covenant being a boring chore; It doesn't do its job of setting up the characters.

And then, there's of course the fact that Covenant looks visually worse than Prometheus. You can cut Ridley Scott some slack for having less of a budget to work with, but I mean, it's not like there weren't interesting locations in this film, such as everything in Engineerville outside of David's hideout. They just weren't utilized for anything. Even inside his hideout, when excluding the room where he did his experiments (which was great), it's pretty bland. No murals, everything is clean, nothing new and interesting...very uninspired stuff. In Alien and even in Prometheus, everything looked gritty, real and original. You wanted the film to give you more time to explore those rooms and corridors. None of that in Covenant.

My main issue with the film is its script, which is abysmal, but I gotta give the screenwriters some slack and throw some more hate at Ridley Scott about it because they had to write their script around his ideas, which, in my opinion, were fundementally flawed.

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

Quote from: Hide on Aug 24, 2017, 12:29:55 PM
One quality masterpiece that firstly comes to my mind is "ALIEN".
A master class of "how to direct a movie".

It isn't considered a classic for nothing.

Indeed. Some examples from other genres would be a better gauge of directional styles though.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 24, 2017, 12:40:09 PM

For example: the opening prologue, while being a very good scene, is not needed in the film. Almost all of the information given to the audience in that scene is given to the audience again via David during his conversations with the Covenant crew in Engineerville. The only thing that scene adds is making some sense out of David's radical character transformation between Prometheus and Covenant. In Prometheus, David was a shady, yet remarkably humane android with a hint at an inferiority complex. He was obeying orders in an attempt to appease Weyland, while also resenting other people for looking down on him. In Covenant, he's basically space Hitler with a hobby for genetics (mind you, his specialty in Prometheus was linguistics). This whole character transformation happens off-screen due to a bad screenplay, so it needs to be explained somehow. That scene's whole purpose is to tell the audience that David's Hitler mustache started growing way back on Earth. If that's the whole purpose of the scene, it could've been completely removed and just served as a quick conversation flashback during the Engineerville parts that would only show the immortality discussion. Everything else is a waste of the audience's time.

I thought the prologue was essential. I found nothing in it that contradicted Prometheus, rather I thought it helped to make sense of David saying 'who doesn't want their parents dead'. I'm not seeing David as space Hitler either though, so I suppose we are looking at the character from completely different perspectives.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: dave1978 on Aug 24, 2017, 11:05:05 AM
56% of fans on this site. 33% of fans on this site. This silly notion as if polls on this site accurately represent fan response to a film really needs to stop. Go visit the Prometheus fan reviews page. 66.7% loved it and 22.6% were on the fence. Would you say that it would be fair, based on those numbers, to refer to Prometheus as a well-liked film?

What's even more problematic with your post is that you seem to think that what's important is that he's on the minority on this site, rather than what he actually says. Even if Covenant was hated by 99% of the people on this site and only loved by 1%, it wouldn't have made his argument stronger or weaker in any way.

As for what Hide actually said, I don't think Covenant is a master class in how not to direct a film. It was pretty well directed overall, though I'd still put it among Ridley Scott's weaker material. It's still better than what most directors would've done, but nothing that's really praiseworthy either. Examples of bad direction in this film would include leaving redundant scenes in the film, while removing scenes of actual value.

Another example is the deleted material. Anyone who watched it can tell that a huge chunk of it is character development. So are some of the viral scenes of this film. I personally don't think adding them to the film would've saved it, but they would definitely have improved it. Their absence is why so many people are complaining about the first act of Covenant being a boring chore; It doesn't do its job of setting up the characters.

And then, there's of course the fact that Covenant looks visually worse than Prometheus. You can cut Ridley Scott some slack for having less of a budget to work with, but I mean, it's not like there weren't interesting locations in this film, such as everything in Engineerville outside of David's hideout. They just weren't utilized for anything. Even inside his hideout, when excluding the room where he did his experiments (which was great), it's pretty bland. No murals, everything is clean, nothing new and interesting...very uninspired stuff. In Alien and even in Prometheus, everything looked gritty, real and original. You wanted the film to give you more time to explore those rooms and corridors. None of that in Covenant.

My main issue with the film is its script, which is abysmal, but I gotta give the screenwriters some slack and throw some more hate at Ridley Scott about it because they had to write their script around his ideas, which, in my opinion, were fundementally flawed.
#

So you don't believe this site represents fans views in general? What exactly are you suggesting, that the majority of fans on this particular site have different views from other fans and are wrong about the film?

Yet these percentages are largely in line with review pages such as RT as well. The same goes for Prometheus.

Statistically Covenant is regarded as above average whether you like that or not. As someone who loves the film I accept i'm in the minority. As someone who hates it, you also need to accept the fact you are the minority.

You feel the opening scenes are pointless and an example of bad direction yet I think they are vital, so am I wrong and you right? does this mean you have a greater appreciation of film direction than I? at time your arrogance astounds me.

And Hide doesn't have an argument because he is yet to present anything to support his hyperbolic and at times troubling statements.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:17:18 PM
So you don't believe this site represents fans views in general? What exactly are you suggesting, that the majority of fans on this particular site have different views from other fans and are wrong about the film?

Yet these percentages are largely in line with review pages such as RT as well. The same goes for Prometheus.
I don't believe this site (or any fan site, for that matter) represents fan views in general. I don't say, and never have said, that liking a film others dislike is wrong, and vice versa.

Statistically Covenant is regarded as above average whether you like that or not. As someone who loves the film I accept i'm in the minority. As someone who hates it, you also need to accept the fact you are the minority.
Did you even read what I wrote?

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:17:18 PM
You feel the opening scenes are pointless and an example of bad direction yet I think they are vital, so am I wrong and you right? does this mean you have a greater appreciation of film direction than I? at time your arrogance astounds me.
Sigh...no, all it means is that you get personally offended by someone stating their opinion on a film...again.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:17:18 PMSo you don't believe this site represents fans views in general? What exactly are you suggesting, that the majority of fans on this particular site have different views from other fans and are wrong about the film?

No, he believes the hardcore fans on this site represent a very small percentage of the general cinema-going public who went to watch the film, and he'd be right in believing that.

Polls held on here won't necessarily align with wider reality because we all have greater interest in and deeper knowledge of the series.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 24, 2017, 01:29:53 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 24, 2017, 01:17:18 PMSo you don't believe this site represents fans views in general? What exactly are you suggesting, that the majority of fans on this particular site have different views from other fans and are wrong about the film?

No, he believes the hardcore fans on this site represent a very small percentage of the general cinema-going public who went to watch the film, and he'd be right in believing that.

Polls held on here won't necessarily align with wider reality because we all have greater interest in and deeper knowledge of the series.
Thank you.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 24, 2017, 01:29:53 PM

His post refers to fans, not the general cinema going public

dave1978

dave1978

Well since you are trying to convince us ON THIS SITE i would say that the FAN REVIEW poll on this site is totally relevant.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Relevant to what? How is being in the minority on this site make your points less valid?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed