Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 75,910 times)

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 12:29:13 PM
Why do you think it's only people "nerd raging"?

I dunno, maybe the sign above the door on the forum? And other forums very much like it, of course. I'm a geek, I love geek shit but geek forums are often myopic and very self-serious about their perception of any property. It rarely reflects the whole of the general audience take. Geeks get so intense about this shit they lose a lot of perspective.

QuotePredator appeals to a very general audience, but it's a general audience of people who like adult-oriented sci-fi action. Big guns, big monsters, and lots of carnage.

There's plenty of that in The Predator. Preorder your ticket now!

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 11:55:27 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 11:36:51 AM
And again, Arnold's role was a setup for a large role in future. But hey, whatever.
Which assumes the movie does well enough to get a sequel.

Predators wanted one, and look how that turned out.
To be fair, Predators didn't get a sequel because of money reasons. A movie that does nearly 130 million worldwide and another 25 - 30 million in DVD-sales on a 38 million budget is a success, not counting in the merchandising which does also very well (ask Neca).

Predators didn't get a sequel because FOX had a regime change and people walked away, producers got busey again doing other stuff, that happens all the time, even with very successful movies and critically acclaimed movies.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 12:29:13 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 12:06:31 PM
And I have a feeling you've overestimating how much the general audience is gonna give a shit about or even notice the nerd rage on forums like these.
Why do you think it's only people "nerd raging"? Predator appeals to a very general audience, but it's a general audience of people who like adult-oriented sci-fi action. Big guns, big monsters, and lots of carnage.

And that's not typically the kind of audience that thinks kids flying Predator space ships is just the bees' f**king knees.
There is nothing that suggests that we won't have big monsters and lots of carnage. It's like with Fast and Furious, after part 4 the movies weren't exclusively about car racing again, they became thrillers with elements of what fans loved about it in the past, and became a billion dollar franchise.

A kid flying a spaceship is might not for the action "we want blood and guts audience" under us, but for sci-fi orientated audiences that made movies like Super 8 or even Stranger Things a success it absolutely hits a beat.

SpeedyMaxx

It is definitely a hard-driving, violent action movie and that is definitely what they will highlight in all marketing, along with the humor and cast.

Johnny Handsome

I think fans in general think way too complicated when it comes to marketing. You know how it will go? They show some violence, some guns and a cool as shit looking Predator= Fans gonna be there by default.

The rest of the trailer (Spaceships, the kid, money shots) is either for the general audience or Shane Black fans, who normally don't give a damn about Predator and only watch it for him... or the "hot as shit" looking cast (i don't make this up, look on social media, there is a ton of chicks waiting for this movie just for Boyd Holbrook).

RidgeTop

Kinda surprised by this as Arnold has done cameos before. I guess he's more apprehensive when it's for a franchise he's really well known for.

SpeedyMaxx

I suspect Keegan-Michael Key and the humor will not hurt with audiences, either.

Johnny Handsome

I'm convincing myself if was just the role rather than the script itself
QuoteShane Black:
Me too... I spoke with him, I think it was that he didn't have enough to do. Enough presence in the film.

https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/status/849956540568150017

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 06, 2017, 12:34:44 PM
I dunno, maybe the sign above the door on the forum?
That's not what I meant at all. I'm asking why you think it's only down to nerd rage. Are regular audience members immune to having opinions on these things?

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 12:46:28 PM
I think fans in general think way too complicated when it comes to marketing. You know how it will go? They show some violence, some guns and a cool as shit looking Predator= Fans gonna be there by default.
Trailers only get you through the front door. After opening weekend, it's basically all word of mouth. That's why even the shittiest movies can have great openings. Hell, look at Life. It's everything you could want from a monster on a spaceship film, but it's tanking. It's not even a bad film. It's just not appealing to people, even with major star appeal behind it.

I might end up way off the mark, and I'd love to be -- bring back regular Predator movies! -- but acting like the only possible negative reaction will come from the divided die hard fans or nerds is, well

myopic

predator88

Quote from: predator88 on Apr 06, 2017, 09:56:38 AM
I don't blame Arnold for not appearing in this turd. The script is horrid and thank God he refused to take any part in the burial of this franchise.

Arnold was reacting to his part, not the script as a whole, he even said he would do it if they would rewrite his role.

The franchise was dead after Predator 2, then it was dead again after Predators. It still keeps coming back, and this time, in a very promising way.

Predator is still "A-class" unlike many franchises which turned DTV over the years, which could have easily happened. The sequels so far may not be quality all the way, yet the fanbase is growing, people are going to the cinema, buying the blu-ray's and for the most part, enjoying it.

So please, don't shit your pants just yet.
The franchise has never been dead. They just keep pouring out $hit Predators and this one. And the fanbase is indeed big but the majority only loves the first film and some like me love Predator 2 also. On paper this film is an absolute train wreck and does nothing to build on what makes the first movie such a masterpiece.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2017, 12:58:07 PM
bring back regular Predator movies!

I'm gonna lay money that Paul WS will become the saviour of these franchises. In 2225. You heard it hear first!

SpeedyMaxx

Are regular audience members immune to having opinions on these things?

No, but they're not likely to have the knee-jerk hatred online fans do to leaked details based on a narrow preconception of how a franchise must operate to be legitimate. Unlike oh, let's say you, they've yet to make up their mind.

QuoteTrailers only get you through the front door. After opening weekend, it's basically all word of mouth.

Shane Black tends to review well. Also important: The Predator is not (IMO) a bad script, it's just not made-to-fan-order. Outside audiences will go and I personally expect they'll like it. I actually think many fans will too.

But if you want to critique it sight unseen, feel free. There's always plenty of angry folks on the Internet doing that with plenty of geek movies everyday. Everything is always destined to be the worst ever until it isn't. It's frankly gotten pretty rote.

Johnny Handsome

I dunno, maybe the sign above the door on the forum?
That's not what I meant at all. I'm asking why you think it's only down to nerd rage. Are regular audience members immune to having opinions on these things?

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 12:46:28 PM
Trailers only get you through the front door. After opening weekend, it's basically all word of mouth. That's why even the shittiest movies can have great openings. Hell, look at Life. It's everything you could want from a monster on a spaceship film, but it's tanking.

The problem is this: I love monsters on a spaceship movies... and i'm not interested in this movie! Why? Because it's everything i love... and everything i've seen a gazillion times in other movies. What's the point? There is basically nothing new, nothing that really motivates me to go to the movies for this. People are getting sick of the same old same old, and that is why it's bombing, good or not.

I think The Predator changing it's course a little and broadening ideas will only do good for the franchise.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 12:57:04 PM
QuoteShane Black:
Me too... I spoke with him, I think it was that he didn't have enough to do. Enough presence in the film.

https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/status/849956540568150017

That's a shame. Dutch's role is to set up his future involvement in other films and everyone would leave the theater cheering Arnold. I don't know how much longer the shoot has but I hope he reconsiders.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Apr 06, 2017, 01:09:17 PM
Because it's everything i love... and everything i've seen a gazillion times in other movies. What's the point? There is basically nothing new, nothing that really motivates me to go to the movies for this.

Exactly. Assuming another jungle hunt/whatever movie with the Predator played 100% straight will do major box office is a mistake. Predators played it pretty straight and nobody bothers with it, and it's not even really bad IMO. Just mediocre.

Timmay

Timmay

The significant role part is not what concerns me, this quote does:

""They asked me, and I read it, and I didn't like it —"

"So I'm not going to do that, no. Except if there's a chance that they rewrite it,"

I know  Mr. Schwarzenegger loves this franchise but he has been in some movies that were questionable.  Looks like he is going for better roles now...good for him. He is a great actor, IMO.

Pvt. Himmel

I really wanted this to be good... If even Dutch didn't want in... Then there's something wrong there. >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed