Why WY established colony on LV-426 without investigating Derelict ship?

Started by Ingwar, Jan 17, 2017, 10:32:43 PM

Author
Why WY established colony on LV-426 without investigating Derelict ship? (Read 25,838 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2017, 01:05:49 AM
I'm not seeing where this paragraph says it was specifically nonviable for the Auriga, as Xenomrph claims ???

Perhaps he's interpreting it in a way that serves his...agenda.

oberonqa

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2017, 01:17:54 AM
I'm not seeing where this paragraph says it was specifically nonviable for the Auriga, as Xenomrph claims ???

Perhaps he's interpreting it in a way that serves his...agenda.

=)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 02, 2017, 02:09:26 PM
Or. The Derelict was destroyed, or the eggs irradiated, and Weyland Yutani was never able to get their sample, which is why 200 years later USM did what they did. Which is the simpler, more believable explination.
The USCM Tech Manual says it survived, the WYR does not contradict this even though it had ample opportunity to.

Quote from: SiL on Feb 02, 2017, 06:58:48 PM
QuoteWhat if the person you're outsourcing it to f**ks up and one of them gets facehugged (like what happens in 'Alien', 'Alien Isolation', 'Aliens')?
What if they sent a competent team? What if they sent an informed team that they paid enough to not run to a higher bidder? What if they sent military personnel on a clandestine operation?

It's really easy to support either side with baseless 'what ifs'.
Apparently they didn't, despite the CMTM saying it survived. Why is that?

Quote from: SM on Feb 02, 2017, 08:59:10 PM
Full context:

Alien Resurrection novelisation - A.C. Crispin

QuoteIt was too bad they didn't have more historical information.  Gediman considered it a scientific tragedy that they couldn't go back to planet LV-426, where the Aliens were originally discovered by the Nostromo crew.  The wealth of information that must have been there!  But the derelict with it's bizarre cargo of thousands of eggs had been destroyed when the reactor of a damaged atmospheric processor had exploded, leaving nothing behind but radioactive waste and a crater nineteen megahectares in size.  LV-426 would never be habitable again.

Ripley had escaped the destruction of LV-426 with a few others, but had ended up on Fiorina 161 when her ship malfunctioned.  A single warrior Alien has emerged there, waiting for the Queen that Ripley had unknowingly harbored.  But that warrior had been destroyed, and Ripley had committed suicide to ensure the Queen inside her would never emerge.

That might have been the end of human contact with the Aliens, since all attempts, both by military scientists and private corporations, to discover the Aliens' planet of origin had failed to turn up a single clue, in spite of the hundreds of surveyed worlds that existed.  The secret of the nearly perfect organisms had died in the holocaust on LV-426, until the discovery of Ripley's preserved blood and tissue samples from Fiorina.

Weyland Yutani Report - S.D. Perry

QuoteDespite the best efforts of the Colonial Marines and the
direct management of a Weyland-Yutani executive, poor
leadership and inexperience doomed the rescue mission from
the outset. Regrettably, the hive and the Weyland-Yutani
colony were vaporized by the meltdown of the processor,
costing the Company billions of dollars. The derelict craft
was rendered nonviable for further specimen collection.

If Fox come out and change things (which might've been the plan with Blomkamp) all well and good.  Until then - some fresh cherries to pick...
If the novelization is canon, then I guess WY *was* bought out by Wal-Mart...

And as you showed, the WY Report doesn't say the Derelict was destroyed.

Quote from: SM on Feb 02, 2017, 08:59:10 PM
Weyland Yutani Report - S.D. Perry

QuoteDespite the best efforts of the Colonial Marines and the
direct management of a Weyland-Yutani executive, poor
leadership and inexperience doomed the rescue mission from
the outset. Regrettably, the hive and the Weyland-Yutani
colony were vaporized by the meltdown of the processor,
costing the Company billions of dollars. The derelict craft
was rendered nonviable for further specimen collection.
The last sentence ???

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2017, 12:55:34 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 02, 2017, 10:56:47 PMThat games was set in 2154, ten years after the Hadley's Hope incident, while also being set 25 years before the Hadley's Hope incident.

Thus proving time travel.

It was destroyed at the end of that game.
And it was destroyed again in the Earth War comics.
But not destroyed in Aliens : Infestation.  It was also repaired of the volcanic damage that occurred before the Jordens found it.
Than it was broken again in A:CM.

Xenomrph can make it all fit.
Sure can - Alien Trilogy can be written off as "a simulation", The Female War's novelization retcons the comic so that the Derelict isn't destroyed (and I'm not sure if it's even in it, it's been forever since I read it), the date in the AvP PC game is a typo and the game is actually set in 2189 (and that's where the Derelict gets destroyed), and Colonial Marines doesn't contradict any of this - Project Origin is the initial efforts at setting up a lab around the Derelict, and the AvP PC game shows a continuation of that.

Edit-- just for chuckles, I asked SD Perry if she knew why the WY Report's reference to the Derelict is worded the way it is, here's what she said:
"I totally don't remember, sorry. There were several people doing edits on the book who made changes to keep stuff canon, I THINK because Titan was releasing some novels about the same time, and one of them mentioned or was using the Derelict."

So it looks like keeping the Derelict's fate vague may have been an intentional mandate from FOX?

SiL

QuoteApparently they didn't, despite the CMTM saying it survived. Why is that?
Because the CMTM is wrong and not canon in this regard.  Simple.

QuoteThe last sentence
The last sentence says it's nonviable, period. Doesn't say it's nonviable specifically for the needs of the Auriga, as you're trying to make out.

SM

For further context, the WYR quote is on page 123 which is near the end of the Aliens chapter.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 03, 2017, 02:54:45 AMSo it looks like keeping the Derelict's fate vague may have been an intentional mandate from FOX?

That wouldn't surprise me at all.  SM?

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 03, 2017, 04:03:39 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 03, 2017, 02:54:45 AMSo it looks like keeping the Derelict's fate vague may have been an intentional mandate from FOX?

Not only would it not surprise me, it makes sense.  It's kinda stupid to close doors on potential plotlines and story ideas if you don't have a good reason to do so.  Keeping it vague gives just enough wiggle room to work with without having to do a full retcon.

SM

Yeah...

"vague"...

Local Trouble

How would SM react if one of the new canon books featured an intact derelict after Aliens?

SM

SM

See above regarding Blomkamp film.

New facts necessitate reassessment.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2017, 03:40:44 AM
QuoteApparently they didn't, despite the CMTM saying it survived. Why is that?
Because the CMTM is wrong and not canon in this regard.  Simple.
That's certainly one way to look at it, but it's not the only way. Perry herself says she thinks the wording got changed to make it more vague.

Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 03, 2017, 04:10:09 AM

Not only would it not surprise me, it makes sense.  It's kinda stupid to close doors on potential plotlines and story ideas if you don't have a good reason to do so.  Keeping it vague gives just enough wiggle room to work with without having to do a full retcon.
Exactly.

SiL

After Aliens, the site was nonviable for specimens. That's not vague. It only becomes vague if you add a qualifier like '...for the Auriga team',  but that's not in the text.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The WY Report literally has a sentence about things getting destroyed by the atmosphere processor, and intentionally doesn't say that the Derelict was among them despite having ample opportunity to do so. Instead, it uses vague wording like "rendered nonviable". According to the author, she thinks this was done intentionally, at FOX's behest.
Like I said, the CMTM says the Derelict survived, and the WY Report does not contradict this.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2017, 07:33:52 AM
After Aliens, the site was nonviable for specimens. That's not vague. It only becomes vague if you add a qualifier like '...for the Auriga team',  but that's not in the text.

BTW, SiL, I sent you a PM.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 03, 2017, 08:07:12 AM
The WY Report literally has a sentence about things getting destroyed by the atmosphere processor, and intentionally doesn't say that the Derelict was among them despite having ample opportunity to do so. Instead, it uses vague wording like "rendered nonviable". According to the author, she thinks this was done intentionally, at FOX's behest.
Like I said, the CMTM says the Derelict survived, and the WY Report does not contradict this.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Even if the structure of the derelict is intact, I doubt he eggs survived the radiation. It would be so dumb for the USM to spend all that time trying and failing to clone Ripley if the only reason they didn't go to the derelict was because it was "difficult."

SiL

Yeah. The vessel might be there, but the eggs are toast, one way or another.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed