A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 36,284 times)

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 02, 2016, 08:49:05 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 02, 2016, 05:54:16 AM

She thinks the movie is a cool, artsy French movie, although doesn't view herself favorably. She was disappointed she never got to do another one.

That's the thing.  Michael Biehn was never an A-lister.  Winona Ryder was in the 90s, and she still gets roles in big movies (like the Star Trek reboot).  Makes more sense to bring her back than Biehn.

Lol you just hire an A-lister to play Newt or to fill in some other role. You don't need Winona or Michael actually. You just need Sigourney and one A-lister.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Russ on Sep 02, 2016, 10:28:52 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 02, 2016, 09:38:08 AM

If they do this... the retcon really will be a complete joke.

If you're gonna scrap the films, scrap them. Don't come up with pathetic work-arounds.

It's just a theory - didn't they say that they're acknowledging the other movies? I'm sure I read that, and if they are doing that, I can't think of a neater way to explain it all away without clones and all sorts of stuff. Just technically - I mean, it'll be be what... two/two and half hours... it'll take a while to go into the whole "well, we were cloned" stuff.

Then again, the setups in Alien and Aliens were very lengthy, weren't they, but I'm not sure that "modern audiences" would sit still for an hour build up - even if Fox let NB do that in the first place.

As I say, its only my guess that they'd go down that road cos its established in the canon for one and for another, as I say, most people will "get" cryosleep/hypersleep - its almost a trope now. Whereas the deep mythos stuff may not be as accessible to Joe Public.

Conversely, we have the "performs fan service" quote and we know that NB is a huge fan - maybe he would want to get into the deep myth stuff and get it out there?

That'd be ace - but my gut reckons the freezerino dream will be the "acknowledgement."

Back to the old freezerinos.   ;)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2016, 05:31:01 AM
Make it so the USM, having insufficient data years prior to Resurrection, cloned Newt and Hicks hoping they carried the Alien Queen.  Those clones grew to adulthood normally etc.  They meet Ripley learn of their former lives via Call but have no memory of them.

You can touch on whether destiny is genetic, coupled with the religious aspect of Ripley ('For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' Jeremiah 29:11), as well as shooting monsters.

That's not a bad scenario at all if you necessarily have to bring back Hicks and Newt. Good job, SM!

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 02, 2016, 08:00:04 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2016, 05:31:01 AMMake it so the USM, having insufficient data years prior to Resurrection, cloned Newt and Hicks hoping they carried the Alien Queen.

Blood samples from Fiori 16 on ice, I presume?

Definitely from Fiori 16.

Quote from: Russ on Sep 02, 2016, 10:28:52 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 02, 2016, 09:38:08 AM

If they do this... the retcon really will be a complete joke.

If you're gonna scrap the films, scrap them. Don't come up with pathetic work-arounds.

It's just a theory - didn't they say that they're acknowledging the other movies? I'm sure I read that, and if they are doing that, I can't think of a neater way to explain it all away without clones and all sorts of stuff. Just technically - I mean, it'll be be what... two/two and half hours... it'll take a while to go into the whole "well, we were cloned" stuff.

Then again, the setups in Alien and Aliens were very lengthy, weren't they, but I'm not sure that "modern audiences" would sit still for an hour build up - even if Fox let NB do that in the first place.

As I say, its only my guess that they'd go down that road cos its established in the canon for one and for another, as I say, most people will "get" cryosleep/hypersleep - its almost a trope now. Whereas the deep mythos stuff may not be as accessible to Joe Public.

Conversely, we have the "performs fan service" quote and we know that NB is a huge fan - maybe he would want to get into the deep myth stuff and get it out there?

That'd be ace - but my gut reckons the freezerino dream will be the "acknowledgement."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEjeTb1rrs

Scorpio

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 02, 2016, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 02, 2016, 08:49:05 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 02, 2016, 05:54:16 AM

She thinks the movie is a cool, artsy French movie, although doesn't view herself favorably. She was disappointed she never got to do another one.

That's the thing.  Michael Biehn was never an A-lister.  Winona Ryder was in the 90s, and she still gets roles in big movies (like the Star Trek reboot).  Makes more sense to bring her back than Biehn.

Lol you just hire an A-lister to play Newt or to fill in some other role. You don't need Winona or Michael actually. You just need Sigourney and one A-lister.

You don't really need an A-list besides Sigourney.  The A-list is the brand name.  Like the new Star Wars movie, they just needed Harrison Ford to come back to make 2 billion.

Besides, they've already had a movie with two A-list actors (Sigourney and Winona).  Did people see Alien in 1979 because it had that guy from M.A.S.H. in it?  :P

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 03, 2016, 08:12:45 AMYou don't really need an A-list besides Sigourney.  The A-list is the brand name.

No one in the first Alien film was A-list. Most of them were pretty much unknown. I'd actually quite like them to go down that route again. Seems Covenant is sort of doing it.

Scorpio

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 03, 2016, 08:49:26 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 03, 2016, 08:12:45 AMYou don't really need an A-list besides Sigourney.  The A-list is the brand name.

No one in the first Alien film was A-list. Most of them were pretty much unknown. I'd actually quite like them to go down that route again. Seems Covenant is sort of doing it.

Yeah, that was part of my point.  It was an ensemble piece, nobody had their name selling it but people saw it anyway.  Maybe it had to do with the huge appetite created by Star Wars.

Xenomorphine

Skerritt was actually the one who had the better profile recognition among mainstream audiences at the time, yeah (not nearly so much now, but back then). That was part of the genius in killing Dallas off so early.

Viewers, today, don't understand how much of a table-flip that was. Audiences expected him to be the one to survive, not just because he was a male and in charge of the ship, but because of the actor. When he died, effectively all bets were off.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 04, 2016, 02:25:06 AM
Skerritt was actually the one who had the better profile recognition among mainstream audiences at the time, yeah (not nearly so much now, but back then). That was part of the genius in killing Dallas off so early.

Viewers, today, don't understand how much of a table-flip that was. Audiences expected him to be the one to survive, not just because he was a male and in charge of the ship, but because of the actor. When he died, effectively all bets were off.

You're absolutely right. Having Dallas killed 3rd immediately sends a chiver down your spine since he's the captain and main lead, and main leads aren't supposed to be killed off. Your survival instincts tell you these guys are in one hell hole right about now. I also think that's why they wanted a lady to remain last, on her own, which is scarier even than if it were a man...especially in those years where women were seen as much more lady like and more delicate. How the heck is a lady going to kill the Alien on her own? What a brilliant movie.

The hero and leader should always die in an Alien movie and leave the least excpected one to survive to deal with the rest...not this Ripley hero crap...tired of it...ripley was never meant to be the face of the franchise or anything as important...take a hint already weaver lol..you died in some lava sh!t, remember?

hawkangel

Here's why I don't believe Alien 3 and Alien : Resurrection will be 'undone' by Alien 5.

This is just little pieces that I have picked up from the recent books :

1) Listening to the latest AVP Galaxy Podcast, one of the guys mentions that The Weyland-Yutani Report book mentions the events of Alien 3 and Alien : Resurrection. Why mention these events in current canon if you are trying to establish a new one when you could have simply discarded these events?

2) The Blomkamp concept pictures of Alien 5. One of them shows Ripley with some kind of explosive vest around her stomach. Presumably, I'm guessing she's already impregnated like in Alien 3 and ready to press the button if the baby xenomorph bursts through.  Sure, this could be a red herring and mean nothing. But I'm guessing another mind-wipe and back to cryosleep chamber like Alien : Out of the Shadows perhaps?

DISCLAIMER : I'm hope I am wrong. As much as I hate that Alien 3 and Alien : Resurrection (I believe they took everything established and Ripley worked so hard for in Aliens and threw it out the window in the first 15 minutes), I don't think they'll retcon them.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: hawkangel on Sep 04, 2016, 10:11:24 AM
Here's why I don't believe Alien 3 and Alien : Resurrection will be 'undone' by Alien 5.

This is just little pieces that I have picked up from the recent books :

1) Listening to the latest AVP Galaxy Podcast, one of the guys mentions that The Weyland-Yutani Report book mentions the events of Alien 3 and Alien : Resurrection. Why mention these events in current canon if you are trying to establish a new one when you could have simply discarded these events?

It's more than just mentioned, they even have their own individual chapters. But the Weyland-Yutani report was written before Blomkamp's project was revealed.

QuoteI'm hope I am wrong. As much as I hate that Alien 3 and Alien : Resurrection (I believe they took everything established and Ripley worked so hard for in Aliens and threw it out the window in the first 15 minutes), I don't think they'll retcon them.

Blomkamp and Weaver has already explicitly stated that his film will ignore Alien 3 and A:R.

BishopShouldGo

"Blomkamp and Weaver has already explicitly stated that his film will ignore Alien 3 and A:R."

It really is as simple as this. That this has even been a debate for a year and a half is wholly puzzling.

Master

Does your super secret source confirms it?

BishopShouldGo

Master

Seriously mate, this one won't happen. My common sense tell this much.

BishopShouldGo

It actually happening and the story ignoring Alien 3 and 4 are two totally different things. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed