A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 35,958 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 05, 2016, 04:25:39 PM
"Undoing" would for example be if his film opens showing that Alien 3 was all just a dream. Or opening with a flashback scene which shows Turk (played by Daniel Day- Lewis) accidentally falling into Hicks' cryotube, being ejected and subsequently killed in the EEV crash.

:laugh:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=52058.msg2032317#msg2032317

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 05, 2016, 08:03:42 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 04, 2016, 02:35:22 AM
The hero and leader should always die in an Alien movie and leave the least excpected one to survive to deal with the rest...not this Ripley hero crap...tired of it...ripley was never meant to be the face of the franchise or anything as important...take a hint already weaver lol..you died in some lava sh!t, remember?

We talked about this in one of the recent podcasts. I think it's become a dull trope for Alien films. We expect the not quite the boss female main character to survive and she generally does. It's predictable now. They need to turn that on its head now.

That's the thing.  These films are now prisoners of their own tropes.  Even when we don't get Ripley, we still get Ripley.  Absolutely it's time to flip this thing on its head.  IMO, the best way to do it is to give back the original Ripley in Blomkamp's film so that all other films can be set free.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2016, 04:41:00 PMEven when we don't get Ripley, we still get Ripley. Absolutely it's time to flip this thing on its head.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2016, 04:41:00 PMIMO, the best way to do it is to give back the original Ripley in Blomkamp's film.

:laugh: ???

So you want to buck the trend... by following the trend.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2016, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2016, 04:41:00 PMEven when we don't get Ripley, we still get Ripley. Absolutely it's time to flip this thing on its head.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2016, 04:41:00 PMIMO, the best way to do it is to give back the original Ripley in Blomkamp's film.

:laugh: ???

So you want to buck the trend... by following the trend.

Yes and no.  I want the real deal.  Instead of coming up with an endless array of Ripley-Wanna-be's.  Just do a film with the real Ripley, and then let all the other pre-quels, side-quels, under-quels, sequels do their own thing without having to knock-off the Ripley character.  Ain't nothing like the real thing baby!

HuDaFuK

Hardly flipping anything on it's head. It's just pandering to the name again.

Ditch Ripley entirely.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 05, 2016, 06:27:02 PM
Hardly flipping anything on it's head. It's just pandering to the name again.

Ditch Ripley entirely.

How about Ripley's nephew?

Perfect-Organism

How about we all just accept that we have differing opinions and let it go?

Master

Accepting opinions? Nah, it's against the rules of  the Internet.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 05, 2016, 07:36:06 PM
How about we all just accept that we have differing opinions and let it go?

Perfect-Organism

LOL, didn't think so.  Let the bickering continue.  Release the Cracken!

windebieste

"Welease the Kwaken, Wipley!"

-Windebieste.

g2vd

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 05, 2016, 09:21:18 PM
"Welease the Kwaken, Wipley!"

-Windebieste.
Don't you dare get "Quipley" with me!

hawkangel

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 04, 2016, 08:36:43 PM
That's hardly proof of anything.

Obviously. I'm not saying it's some kind of smoking gun, I was saying "here's why I don't think so." (i.e. take it into consideration).
But you've given good points as to why it isn't, so time to move on.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 04, 2016, 06:37:44 PM"Blomkamp and Weaver has already explicitly stated that his film will ignore Alien 3 and A:R."

It really is as simple as this. That this has even been a debate for a year and a half is wholly puzzling.

Well, there ya go. If he said that, I have nothing further to say on the matter.

windebieste

Except that the movie is currently not in production.  At all.  It exists only as a proposal; and proposals DO change.  Weaver and Blomkamp have done their best to deliver rhetoric that currently amounts to, well, not much at this point.

Right now, the current proposal has about as may dissenters as it has supporters.  Some people want it... others don't.  You'll find that it's evenly distributed, depending on people you talk to.  Even polls here and elsewhere hover around the 50% mark. 

Blomkamp would be best to make a new 'ALIENS' movie with a fresh batch of characters and ditch the whole retcon thing just to bring back Ripley.  He'd win people like myself over in an instant.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed