Alien Covenant to use "FORMIDABLE CGI"

Started by CainsSon, Mar 25, 2016, 07:18:44 PM

Author
Alien Covenant to use "FORMIDABLE CGI" (Read 4,755 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think maybe no one has brought this official statement up.
I wish I could site the exact source but one of the official statements included some detail about the sound stages, exteriors including 'monumental rock and forest' and then they used the term 'formidable CGI...'

If this is the case then we can maybe expect a very different film than PROMETHEUS, in terms of scale, and possibly even get to see some really impressive FORMIDABLE Giger landscapes.

As much as I liked the practical sets in PROMETHEUS, I felt some of the concept art that landed on the cutting room floor would have benefited the film.

In particular, some of the images when the crew were to be exploring the caves, and especially one image of David crossing a platform to the Juggernaut, I was sorry to see go, and would have preferred to see them with CGI rather than not have them included.

Giger Beast

Seeing some Giger landscapes would be amazing, but considering Ridley's shooting on location in New Zealand, I don't know exactly HOW we'd see any. One theory that's been speculated on here is to have Giger-Land BENEATH Paradise, which I think could be pretty damn awesome.

Hmmm. I wonder what else could use 'formidable CGI'...

Monsters, maybe? I hope not, I loved Prometheus' practical creature effects, though I'm sure that they'll be some CG enhanced creatures.

Something in space, perhaps?

I don't know, I really have no idea. Could go in any direction.

CainsSon

I was thinking the same. Giger beneath the surface, literally and figuratively. Of course, just because they are shooting exteriors doesnt mean they wont drastically enhance thise using cgi. Im kinda expecting this entry to be the most 'Fantasy' of the series.

Corporal Hicks

It was in one of the earlier reports with Scott: "Shooting will be  a mix of location and studio shoots with location requiting "monumental forest and monumental rock and the rest will be in the studio with fairly formidable CGI. The Martian was made for the most part 94 pecent in a Budapest studio. With green screen I now can't tell what was studio and what was shot in Wadi Rum."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/11/27/alien-covenant-shooting-march-new-trilogy-further-details/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quotemonumental forest,  monumental rock, formidable CGI

Scott hamming up his adjectives again.

Vermillion

Just like Lucas. 
Over do it.

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 26, 2016, 07:42:49 AM
It was in one of the earlier reports with Scott: "Shooting will be  a mix of location and studio shoots with location requiting "monumental forest and monumental rock and the rest will be in the studio with fairly formidable CGI. The Martian was made for the most part 94 pecent in a Budapest studio. With green screen I now can't tell what was studio and what was shot in Wadi Rum."

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/11/27/alien-covenant-shooting-march-new-trilogy-further-details/

And look how good The Martian turned out! Maybe Scott realized he was making a mistake not using Green Screen in Prometheus.
I'm hoping the majority of his Dept Heads from The Martian have jumped on Covenant, because part of me felt like The Martian benefited from his experience on Prometheus so this would be the next step up from there.
Im gonna poke around on imdb and see just how many Key players on this were part of The Martian.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 26, 2016, 06:09:21 PM
And look how good The Martian turned out! Maybe Scott realized he was making a mistake not using Green Screen in Prometheus.

Prometheus used plenty of green screens. Monumental GREEN SCREENS!

In a sense, Prometheus was almost a dress rehearsal for The Martian. The spacesuits, the modified Wadi Rum environment, the storm, the Hermes spaceship etc. The only mistake Scott realized was that he needed a proper script in order to make a good movie.

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 26, 2016, 07:45:40 PM

http://electronicdesign.com/content/content/73934/73934-fig4.jpg

In a sense, Prometheus was almost a dress rehearsal for The Martian. The spacesuits, the modified Wadi Rum environment, the storm, the Hermes spaceship etc. The only mistake Scott realized was that he needed a proper script in order to make a good movie.

Actually for a film like PROMETHEUS, it actually didn't use a lot. Ridley made a point to say he wanted minimal CGI for Prometheus. Green Screen is composite, its really just one way of using of CGI.

Astronoë

It's amazing what one can do with good cgi today...

CainsSon

Quote from: Astronoë on Mar 28, 2016, 10:37:36 PM
It's amazing what one can do with good cgi today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3CLzPER34

Nice work.

As for COVENANT - I just want to see some sort of image of the cast on a landscape.
How long into the PROMETHEUS shoot were we before they released that image of Shaw in the space suit holding the head in a sand storm? 2 months? 2 weeks? 57 days? Anyone?

Im very anxious.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 26, 2016, 07:45:40 PMPrometheus used plenty of green screens. Monumental GREEN SCREENS!

Green screens don't necessarily = CGI. They're used for compositing, in this case backgrounds. Those backgrounds could still be real, they just weren't there when you were filming the actors. You can film some pretty landscapes then add them into the actor footage later.

CGI is actually fabricating something digitally from the ground up that never existed.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 29, 2016, 07:55:05 AM
Green screens don't necessarily = CGI. They're used for compositing, in this case backgrounds. Those backgrounds could still be real, they just weren't there when you were filming the actors. You can film some pretty landscapes then add them into the actor footage later.

CGI is actually fabricating something digitally from the ground up that never existed.

Err... CainsSon said, and I quote:

To which I replied:

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 26, 2016, 07:45:40 PM

Nowhere did I say greenscreen = CGI  ::)

Even though in this case those environments were indeed CGI.

HuDaFuK

My bad, misunderstood :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed