ReAction "Aliens" figures and powerloader

Started by alienscollection.com, Feb 12, 2016, 09:19:57 PM

Author
ReAction "Aliens" figures and powerloader (Read 2,472 times)

alienscollection.com

windebieste

Hah!  Nice.  Really nice.

Being a ReAction figure, these will no doubt be in the 3.75" range.  Which will make them completely interchangable with just about any 3.75" figure.  Especially any of the other ReAction figures Funko/Super7 have previously released. 

Jack Burton riding the power loader... or maybe a character from 'Breaking Bad'...    or maybe even old 'Star Wars' action figures.  Kenner Greedo in the powerloader... Yeah, Baby! 3.75" Greedo stomping on Kenner Han Solo with the power loader.  YouTube material for sure.

this gon b fun!

I wonder if they will make a Sulaco playset?

-Windebieste.

OpenMaw

I wonder if this means we'll see some Colonial Marines, the Aliens Warrior or maybe a Newt figure?

Corporal Hicks

Yay! I'm going to be able to afford a powerloader figure!  :P

Giger Beast

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 12, 2016, 11:16:33 PM
I wonder if this means we'll see some Colonial Marines, the Aliens Warrior or maybe a Newt figure?

Hopefully. Some Colonial Marines would be sick!

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 12, 2016, 10:01:22 PMBeing a ReAction figure, these will no doubt be in the 3.75" range.  Which will make them completely interchangable with just about any 3.75" figure.  Especially any of the other ReAction figures Funko/Super7 have previously released. 

Dr. Frankenfurter in powerloader! The Queen vs. The Queen!  :D

windebieste

Yeah.  That's cool, too.

Here's a checklist of all the 3.75" ReAction figures.  I'm certain many of them will fit into the powerloader without any problems.

C'mon!  Who doesn't want to see Sarah Conner in the powerloader dueling with the Queen or the Terminator.

...or maybe even Bruce the shark..?

IN A POWER LOADER.

The potential for ludicrous combinations are joyous and endless!  Just like my childhood was.

-Windebieste.

Alien91

I've never purchased these figures but I am now looking into it so I'm going to ask probably a silly question?

Are they more collectors pieces or can they actually be played with? Are they fragile or pretty durable?

windebieste

You can treat them as toys as much as they are collector's pieces.  They are very durable.  You can seriously knock 'em about and they will withstand some pretty harsh treatment. 

These things were basically conceived as late 1970's vintage tribute figures as if they were made back then; so the figures are solid and robust.  Think of good ol' fashioned Kenner 'Star Wars' range that many of us played with as kids and you will have some idea of the philosophy behind their manufacture.  They're even packaged in similar styles as the old 'Star Wars' figures with a plastic blister mounted figure on the lower left of the backing card.  The detailing is pretty good for their size, considering they are such compact figures.

As you can see, the figures are sturdy little brutes at 3 3/4".  Mind you, there is a trade off.  The articulation on them is very limited.  Typically, a human figure will have 5 points of articulation limited to the head upon the neck, both arms at the shoulders and both legs at the hips.  Nothing too complex, either. They are swiveling spindle joints that rotate on a single plane.  Don't expect anything more elaborate than that.  Ball and socket joints weren't a feature back in the ol' '70s for figures scaled at this size and the design philosophy is faithfully carried over into these new ranges of figures. 

Most people believe this fidelity to vintage detail to be a good thing but if nostalgia isn't your hook, then they may appear a little coarse and rudimentary.

I absolutely love the 'ALIEN' ReAction figures that Funko-Super7 have been pumping out.  These things are the bomb as far as I am concerned but that's largely because I can relate to the original Kenner 'Star Wars' toys that were released in 1978. 

This new 'ALIENS' ReAction range is deliciously tempting stuff.

-Windebieste.

OpenMaw

Well I think one thing some people forget is the ReAction line of Alien figures is based on the scraped figures that Kenner was going to do back when Alien came out, but when the tall alien went to the shelves it caused a lot of controversy, so they scraped the line. It wasn't until between Aliens and Alien 3 when Kenner came back to the line with the more notorious and well known figures.

windebieste

windebieste

You can find some more information about how the pocket sized figures were affected by Kenner's 18" figure here with "A brief history lesson. Pay attention.  We gotta go back a few years..."  After the marketing debacle of that figure, Kenner didn't release any more 'ALIEN' action figures until 1992.  ...and they only did so under the direction of new owners.

Kenner was sold by CPG Corporation (which itself was a subsidiary of General Mills) in 1987 to Tonka.  Under the Tonka banner, Kenner produced their liberally designed 'ALIENS' toy range which was released in 1992 along with some 'AvP' comics inspired action figures as well.  It would appear Tonka was not confident with Kenner's viability as a sustainable  enough company and Kenner was again sold in 1991 to Hasbro prior to the release of those figures. 

Hasbro owned the company for 9 years when they finally had it cease operations and shut down completely in 2000.  During this period - and under the Hasbro umbrella - Kenner released their 'ALIEN: Resurrection' movie tie-in figures in 1997. 

During this entire time, no plans were made to release the original 1979 3 3/4" figures.  They continued to be known to exist as cancelled prototypes only and only photos of them were known to exist for more than a dozen years beyond Kenner's closing down.  They were finally revealed at San Diego Comic Con in 2013 as a pair of boxed faux prototypes available only at the expo.  Also only available to customers at SDCC '13 was a set of 5 (later expanded to 6 figures upon arrival) 'ALIEN' 3 3/4" action figures via an Early Bird package that mimicked Kenner's previous 'Star Wars' Early Bird kit available in late 1977.

-Windebieste.

Mrcreosote

Am I the only chap that looks forwards to reading your posts as they are always so well written and informative

No homo

Mr. Clemens

I'm actually not gonna bother with the ALIENS figures myself (that film isn't too important to me), but I treasure the ALIEN ones. I first learned of their almost-existence back in '99, when there was a couple pictures of them in the Alien Legacy dvd special features. I thought to myself, "oh my god, it would have been so incredible to have those... and I never will".  :-[

Well, now I have two sets!  ;D

windebieste

There's been a few iterations of these figures since they were first released.  Which ones do you have?

Do you think Super 7 will release a set of blue and black carded Queen Aliens?  That would be nice.

-Windebieste.

Mr. Clemens

I reluctantly (and not a little angrily) went black-card, because I'm not a convention goer and wasn't ready to get gouged on eBay. So I'm a little sad that my figures aren't on blue cards like they would have been in '79, but I have to admit that the black looks very nice, anyway. I have two of each figure (excluding con exclusives), and one Egg Chamber.

I did read from the lead designer at Funko that Powerloader and the Queen are all going to be in one box... so interested parties might wanna start putting in some overtime!  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed