Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 195,339 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 09, 2016, 08:04:46 AMUnfortunately not in A:I. The alien doesn't seem to even acknowledge their existence at all in gameplay terms.

Except you see some in the game that have been shredded by something. It could only be the Alien. So clearly under some circumstances it will attack them.

OpenMaw

Well of course, I just mean in terms of the gameplay, you can't actually get the alien to attack them. That would be very cool. Throw a noise maker at their feet and watch the alien rip em apart.  :laugh:

One thing I do find very cool is that the alien will take some of the human characters up into the vents instead of just killing them outright.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 09, 2016, 09:57:48 AM
One thing I do find very cool is that the alien will take some of the human characters up into the vents instead of just killing them outright.

I have never seen that.  :o Have you got that on camera?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 09, 2016, 10:14:22 AM
I have never seen that.  :o Have you got that on camera?

Should be around 2:10 when the alien attacks. There's a slow mo replay after it happens. It's an incredible little animation.

HuDaFuK

That's awesome :) Pretty sure I never saw that myself.

Corporal Hicks

Holy sheet. That's awesome. I wonder if that happens at random.

Mr. Clemens

Wow, thanks for sharing that! I might never have noticed.

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 07, 2016, 10:29:20 PM
Wanted to add to the praise by saying wow that art is truly gorgeous. Do you do all your work digitally, Tristan, or do you pencil some outlines and things before you get started on the tablet?

Just curious as I'm an artist myself. Hope the comic is going well and I can't wait to check it out.

Oh yeah ps - after browsing your Tumblr blog for a bit, I was reminded that this story features a bunch of USCM combat synthetics. This is interesting, but I wanted to ask how you guys were doing with it from a lore standpoint?

What's interesting is that a lot of the EU has androids not being targeted by the Alien due to their artificial nature. Alien: Isolation also does this, which makes for some very tense gameplay moments. However the only film reference we have to this shows Bishop, a very artificial person, get torn in half by the Queen, implying that Aliens will, in fact, attack synthetics just as they would anything else.

You hit the nail on the head. The way I see it, is they'll attack anything that poses a threat, and anything they can harvest. There's some pretty great synth gore in the first issue actually... rather proud of that whole sequence!!

As for the art -- yeah, I'm slow and not quite used to all the tech yet. So it's digital all the way. I rough it out sometimes on a print out of the script in scribbles the size of my thumb, then blow that up and go over it again to flesh out shapes properly then basically "pencil" my art in digital "ink", so the pencilling and inking are the same thing.

Very glad you're excited, and thanks so much for the kind words!

Corporal Hicks

More teasing from Tristan!

RagingDragon

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Feb 09, 2016, 02:46:18 PM
You hit the nail on the head. The way I see it, is they'll attack anything that poses a threat, and anything they can harvest. There's some pretty great synth gore in the first issue actually... rather proud of that whole sequence!!

As for the art -- yeah, I'm slow and not quite used to all the tech yet. So it's digital all the way. I rough it out sometimes on a print out of the script in scribbles the size of my thumb, then blow that up and go over it again to flesh out shapes properly then basically "pencil" my art in digital "ink", so the pencilling and inking are the same thing.

Very glad you're excited, and thanks so much for the kind words!

Yeah I was particularly fond of this awesome panel:

I definitely feel you on the art side, as well. As a mostly traditional artist, I'm sadly just catching up to this decade's technology lol. It's amazing how much time and material you can save, though. No inking and scanning process alone cuts off hours of work.

Thanks for the kind and timely answers, too. It's really cool you're on here talking to us gibbering fans, and I can't wait to pick up this book. I live in the middle of nowhere so a lot of my comics are digital these days, but with art like that, I must have ye' olde paper archive format to hold lovingly in my Dorito-encrusted fingers.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think we need to panic about the colouring.

HuDaFuK

Army robots, eh?

Ultramorph

Via Brian Wood's Twitter:

This looks even more amazing with color! Also, is that Zeta II Reticuli?

426Buddy

Looks great!

Im def digging the art and color.

Perfect-Organism

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed