Petition to not retcon the Alien franchise

Started by marrerom, Mar 06, 2015, 05:17:37 AM

Author
Petition to not retcon the Alien franchise (Read 4,645 times)

marrerom

If you feel that retcons are a cheap and lazy way to tell a story and that Alien 5 abolishing Alien 3 & 4 would be a mistep then please show your support and sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/20th-century-fox-don-t-retcon-the-alien-series

Its still early and nothing is set in stone. Lets see if we can change the direction this film seems to be heading down.

thecaffeinatedone

Fox isn't a democracy. :p If they want to turn them all into vampires, then they'll do it.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Mar 06, 2015, 05:22:04 AM
Fox isn't a democracy. :p If they want to turn them all into vampires, then they'll do it.

Yeah, but it never hurts.  They might think twice if they sense a possible backlash.

RakaiThwei

Considering that Blomkamp had to get Fox to agree to his terms, which is way or the highway... I don't see this averting the way the project is heading. I understand your intentions are good, as I liked Alien 3 but... only way fans can speak to Fox is with their money. You can either fight back with your wallet or not.

Jarac

I think most fans have wanted a retcon of 3 and 4 (or at least 4) for a while now. Heck, the franchise has always retconned games, books and comics that were deemed "official canon". Still, hopefully this next movie is just an "alternate timeline" and we can choose which we prefer.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 06, 2015, 05:27:33 AM
I think most fans have wanted a retcon of 3 and 4 (or at least 4) for a while now. Heck, the franchise has always retconned games, books and comics that were deemed "official canon". Still, hopefully this next movie is just an "alternate timeline" and we can choose which we prefer.

Games, books and comics are not on the same level as a full-length major motion picture.

marrerom

I want this petition to serve as a counter point to those who assume that everyone wants a retcon.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 06, 2015, 05:24:27 AM
Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Mar 06, 2015, 05:22:04 AM

Yeah, but it never hurts.  They might think twice if they sense a possible backlash.

That's the general idea.

Jarac

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 06, 2015, 05:28:51 AM

Games, books and comics are not on the same level as a full-length major motion picture.

Fair enough. Isolation is still the best Alien story to come out in a long time. I'd take Isolation over 3&4 anyday, no question.

RakaiThwei

Still, hopefully this next movie is just an "alternate timeline" and we can choose which we prefer.

Which in itself wouldn't necessarily jettison anything out of canon.. Merely migrating it. I support alternate timelines. Throw in the AvPs as an alternative as well. More power to us fans where we can pick and choose without having to feel angry that something is no longer considered official canon because it would all be if we had alternative continuities.

Close Encounters

I'm going to guess that Fox is going to go the way that will make them the most money. Which is pretty much let Blomkamp do what he wants to do. However lazy it might be. Just because it's lazy doesn't mean it won't be the most profitable option available to them.

Lonely Universe

That's like making a petition to not cure cancer.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: EarthAngel on Mar 06, 2015, 07:00:40 AM
That's like making a petition to not cure cancer.

I am guessing you didn't like Alien 3.  :-\

Lonely Universe

I like it, but it did go "off the rails" as NB said & disappointed childhood me by killing off my heroes.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: EarthAngel on Mar 06, 2015, 07:11:35 AM
I like it, but it did go "off the rails" as NB said & disappointed childhood me by killing off my heroes.

I didn't have a problem with Alien 3 killing off Ripley and Hicks. I appreciate Alien 3 more so with the Assembly cut.

I'm not entirely for Alien 5, I think the franchise has been milked as it is.. The only reason why I don't mind it ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection is because it gives us alternatives. Presumably an alternate timeline.. I hope. Kind of like how Halloween and Robocop have alternate timelines/continuities.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

This is going to be as successful as the petition that asked Peter Jackson not to kill Thorin in The Hobbit part 3.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed