Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Started by Chris!(($$))!, Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:00 AM

Retcon, Reboot, Sequel: Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Yes.
39 (50%)
No.
32 (41%)
Cameo/Supporting Characters at the most.
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author
Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP? (Read 12,503 times)

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 05, 2015, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Mar 04, 2015, 08:13:03 PMSo after reading through the thread and checking the poll I've so far come to general consensus of.....

Lolwut?

The poll quite overwhelmingly shows people would rather they just left the three of them dead.

The poll yes. The written opinions are't quite as vague.

And as for the leg design. I'm truly fine with either. And its likely that if Cameron and Scott had the option available, they may very well have use the later designs.

The Cruentus

What is to say they didn't have the option? they just went by the giger designs which if I remember, had humanoid feet but if not, it was still their choice either way.

Son Of Kane

Tech available at the time wouldn't have allowed for digitgrade legs I bet. So I don't think they did have the option.

Not that it matters, the way the creatures are shot in both films never blatantly state the Xenomorphs have human feet.

Murfy426

As supporting characters ripley and hicks would be great to have back but after Michael Biehn's vocal performance in colonial marines I have my doubts, hicks sounded like a shadow of his former self

The Cruentus

Actually they did, its called stilts.  :laugh:

Merchandise and books, early games show that they had human feet, also if it wasn't intended, why waste time and budget designing the feet that way if they could simply hide it in smoke and shadows.  :P

Either way, Ridley and James could have pulled digitigrade feet off if they chose too. I'm glad they didn't.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 09, 2015, 01:57:36 PM
As supporting characters ripley and hicks would be great to have back but after Michael Biehn's vocal performance in colonial marines I have my doubts, hicks sounded like a shadow of his former self

That's because the game was shit and the people around him had no enthusiasm.

The Cruentus

That is because Michael could not be bothered, he felt there was no passion in the game, he knew how bad it was.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 09, 2015, 01:59:36 PM

Merchandise and books, early games show that they had human feet, also if it wasn't intended, why waste time and budget designing the feet that way if they could simply hide it in smoke and shadows.  :P

Either way, Ridley and James could have pulled digitigrade feet off if they chose too. I'm glad they didn't.

It's possible the thought never crossed their minds.

Alien: Isolation pulled it off tremendously despite my fears, so I'm not "glad" I'm just happy it's never explicitly stated.

And I'm going to say the honest truth: film is the main form of media in the Alien franchise, nothing stated outside of them will ever have any bearing canonically on those films.

Murfy426

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 09, 2015, 02:00:34 PM
That is because Michael could not be bothered, he felt there was no passion in the game, he knew how bad it was.
If only he saw the sense to tweet "Hey everyone im not in gearbox studios recording voiceover for colonial marines the game sucks for the love of god wait a couple months till the game drops to £5 that way the heartache will be easier" ah if only if only

The Cruentus

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 09, 2015, 02:04:00 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 09, 2015, 01:59:36 PM

It's possible the thought never crossed their minds.

Alien: Isolation pulled it off tremendously despite my fears, so I'm not "glad" I'm just happy it's never explicitly stated.

And I'm going to say the honest truth: film is the main form of media in the Alien franchise, nothing stated outside of them will ever have any bearing canonically on those films.

That is just an opinion, its asolutely your right of course but don't pass it for facts. Fox holds the cards and gets to say what is canon and what is not, yes the movies are the source material and are the highest canon and will trump something else if a contradiction happens but if fox says a game or a book is canon, then whether we like it or not, it is. I am personally neutral on the EU but I can say there is a few things I don't mind have been contradicted by the movies, unfortunately one of movies that does that is AVP-R  :P

CA at least did explain Isolation Alien design, so fair play to them.

Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 09, 2015, 02:07:42 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 09, 2015, 02:00:34 PM
If only he saw the sense to tweet "Hey everyone im not in gearbox studios recording voiceover for colonial marines the game sucks for the love of god wait a couple months till the game drops to £5 that way the heartache will be easier" ah if only if only

LOL I doubt the contract would have allowed him to.

Son Of Kane

Lol, colonial marines will never be canon, no matter what Fox says.

The Cruentus

That is your opinion and you are free to ignore A:CM like the rest of us do but Fox holds the cards. There is nothing you can do about it except ignorance, unless you want to try and get rights off them. I wouldn't object to that, unless your ideas are crazier than theirs.  :laugh:

Murfy426

Talking about canon lol what should be cemented is a monument outside gearbox with randy pitchfords face on it with a big grin it would read under it "I'm happy to disappoint you"

Son Of Kane

My ideas wouldn't be much crazier.

I'd go more "out there" with Directors I'd pick, such as Jonathan Glazer.

And I'd force the Engineers and SJ to be established as two different things.

(And I'd probably have the urge to massively undermine Predators.)

As a huge Giger fan I'd make sure there'd be no more ADI fleshy Alien nonsense. The A:R Aliens would even be officially disowned as Xenomorphs.

And I'd make sure scripts are the priority above all else.

And get a redesign of the Predator keeping the head the same but change everything else, because Predators look way too human with their mask on to me.

All EU is non-canon except Alien Isolation too.

Lol I'm actually a lot crazier, this will never happen.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

haha not bad, or above the gearbox sign, "Weyland-Yutani"

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 09, 2015, 02:28:16 PM
My ideas wouldn't be much crazier.

I'd go more "out there" with Directors I'd pick, such as Jonathan Glazer.

And I'd force the Engineers and SJ to be established as two different things.

(And I'd probably have the urge to massively undermine Predators.)

As a huge Giger fan I'd make sure there'd be no more ADI fleshy Alien nonsense. The A:R Aliens would even be officially disowned as Xenomorphs.

And I'd make sure scripts are the priority above all else.

And get a redesign of the Predator keeping the head the same but change everything else, because Predators look way too human with their mask on to me.

All EU is non-canon except Alien Isolation too.

Lol I'm actually a lot crazier, this will never happen.

Not bad at all,I could maybe accept that, except the predator parts, they are meant to be humanoid and it would be disservice to Stan Winston to mess with them, perhaps create a sub-species. Also ADI not at fault, the directors and studio are.

I believe in Fire and Stone,
Spoiler
Elden actually mentions that the Engineers created them too, they its probably only a guess on his part
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed