Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Started by Chris!(($$))!, Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:00 AM

Retcon, Reboot, Sequel: Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Yes.
39 (50%)
No.
32 (41%)
Cameo/Supporting Characters at the most.
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author
Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP? (Read 12,506 times)

Gash

It was never about Ripley to me (she was a chance survivor), and much less about Hicks and co. So finding ways to resurrect the characters by ignoring the film that made an attempt to move forward isn't an idea I'm particularly keen on. New characters would have been much preferable.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Gash on Mar 19, 2015, 10:56:49 PM
It was never about Ripley to me (she was a chance survivor), and much less about Hicks and co. So finding ways to resurrect the characters by ignoring the film that made an attempt to move forward isn't an idea I'm particularly keen on. New characters would have been much preferable.

I don't see the big fuss with Ripley and Hicks being in the future films. Honestly Alien 3 took the series into a skydive and I think the first two movies made much more of an impact for audiences and drew them in as a fan so I say go ahead...bring the characters back and give this series the proper finish

Jarac

Quote from: Chronicle on Mar 20, 2015, 05:03:35 AM
Quote from: Gash on Mar 19, 2015, 10:56:49 PM

I don't see the big fuss with Ripley and Hicks being in the future films. Honestly Alien 3 took the series into a skydive and I think the first two movies made much more of an impact for audiences and drew them in as a fan so I say go ahead...bring the characters back and give this series the proper finish

Agreed. Over time Alien 3 does grow on an Alien fan, but for many audiences it was unsatisfying as a finish (on this point, I disagree, but I agree that it is not the direction I would have gone in). A new alternate continuity set after Aliens with Ripley, Hicks (and Newt, hopefully) is what has been asked for for years. Their story does need to end "properly", and it needs to stay ended. That's where A3-AR failed: couldn't let go of Ripley and sent the series into a nose-dive.

I do agree with others that it is a big risk, though. The hype will be unreal, and Blomkamp will be walking into a make-it ot brake-it moment. Critically, he's gad two bombs in a row, so he needs this to succeed. And as has been mentioned, if he f**ks this up, he will become a permanent enemy of the Alien fanbase (like Paul W.S. Anderson and the Brothers Strause). It's high-risk, high reward. I only hope it pays off.

Nightmare Asylum

Eh, if he drops the ball on this I'd hardly consider myself a "permanent enemy." It's not worth it. It's not like the Alien films I do like will be going anywhere, and regardless of what happens here I will still enjoy those and Blomkamp's previous films. I'll probably just hope that he goes back to doing original, smaller films rather than working within giant established franchises.

Infected

I hope they will finally kill Ripley, im so sick of that she Always has to be linked to the xeno's,
its like milking the cow over and over, like they arent creative enough to make new story that stands on its own.
So bring em back Hicks and Ripley and give them some kick ass death.

NetworkATTH

To be honest, this film is its own interpretation of what happened after the events of Aliens. And so, it should not kill them off. It shouldn't just copy the film it sets out to differ from, and by all accounts it seems to be a film that is full of, subtext of hopefulness or ideal, a logical continuation of the end of Aliens. Now, it shouldn't be all glad and happy, but if they just in the end kill everyone all over again, what would be the point? I know a lot of people are like "Let them die! No more!" but say, you're going to see this film and they just get kaput in the end. That would be so f**king disappointing because like it or not, you come into this film expecting something structurally, differently.

In my opinion, let them live, but in a bittersweet way. Don't have them just die.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Infected on Mar 20, 2015, 09:38:42 PMI hope they will finally kill Ripley, im so sick of that she Always has to be linked to the xeno's, its like milking the cow over and over, like they arent creative enough to make new story that stands on its own.

That's one of the reasons I'm annoyed they're potentially going with a retcon. This was the prefect chance for them to do something new, instead of just reverting to old territory.

Alien³

Alien³

Grossly boiled down...

Alien and Aliens both start with Ripley waking up from hyper sleep.
Alien and Aliens both both have people discovering the Derelict and getting hugged.
Alien and Aliens both have Ripley and co fly down to LV_426 in a smaller ship from their mothership.
Alien and Aliens both have someone saying "kill me." and getting burnt alive.
Alien and Aliens both face huggers in medical.
Alien and Aliens both have Ripley going back to save someone she loves.
Alien and Aliens both have a huge explosion during the escape.
Alien and Aliens both have an android getting ripped to shreds.
Alien and Aliens both have Ripley discover the alien has stowed away on their escape vessel.
Alien and Aliens both have Ripley suit up to force the alien out of an airlock.
Alien and Aliens both end with Rippers back in hyper sleep.

Now draw the comparisons between the others.

Alien 3 practically plays out the top 3 in that comparison list within the open credits. It fast tracks the plot to a new environment. Fiorina 161 is a well-fleshed out location, in terms of history and character (the dire wasteland, with no weapons) we need more time to soak it all in.

Alien 3 has a couple of prisoners (from memory) saying kill me. Not to mention Ripley trying to get Dylan to kill her.

It doesn't have Ripley going back to save someone she loves, but it does have her not wanting to let Dylan go. "God will take care of me now sister."

An Android is already ripped to shreds.

The alien jumping from the lead is the equivalent of the previous 4th acts.

Ends with Ripley's original message. Almost like her ghost is entering the eternal hyper sleep.

Resurrection has many small parallels as well.

I love the films we've got because we have more of the same but its played out differently each time; without it feeling like Die Hard 2 to 1, where its pretty much the exact same movie, but stale.

Point is I can never understand why anyone can't see Alien 3 as anything but the incredible lucky result it is. (Especially the Assembly Cut, and also as a movie on its own). So retconning them to have Ripley and Hicks back is lazy.

UPDATE: I was not sober last night but I'll stand by this post. :laugh:.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Infected on Mar 20, 2015, 09:38:42 PM
I hope they will finally kill Ripley, im so sick of that she Always has to be linked to the xeno's,
its like milking the cow over and over, like they arent creative enough to make new story that stands on its own.

This, definitely this, I have been saying that for years. Hicks should not die though, he should take over as the protagonist until such time, a new main character is introduced.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 24, 2015, 01:29:01 AM

Grossly boiled down...

(Snipped the rest to save room)

VERY well said. Except the part about Resurrection... IMO.

swarm87

Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 04, 2015, 02:58:54 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 02:56:04 AM
I voted yes because it seems that the only way to bring back those characters would be to retcon half the series, which is a terrible idea. Either have Alien 5 fit into established canon or dont bother.

Except the 2nd half of the series wrote itself into a corner and hurt the franchise.  Thats why a retcon/alt timeline is necessary.

then reboot the ENTIRE FRANCHISE and start from scratch

Son Of Kane

Quote from: swarm87 on Mar 26, 2015, 09:25:40 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 04, 2015, 02:58:54 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 02:56:04 AM
I voted yes because it seems that the only way to bring back those characters would be to retcon half the series, which is a terrible idea. Either have Alien 5 fit into established canon or dont bother.

Except the 2nd half of the series wrote itself into a corner and hurt the franchise.  Thats why a retcon/alt timeline is necessary.

then reboot the ENTIRE FRANCHISE and start from scratch

A L I E N must never be rebooted, it is sacred.

Feeds On Minds

I would be MUCH more excited for an entire series reboot, than what Blomkamp is planning.

Son Of Kane

Rebooting Alien 1979 would require all information on Human history to be put on a base on Mars, before the reboot then the Earth must be launched into the sun.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 25, 2015, 03:35:04 PM
Quote from: Infected on Mar 20, 2015, 09:38:42 PM

This, definitely this, I have been saying that for years. Hicks should not die though, he should take over as the protagonist until such time, a new main character is introduced.

Hicks, or any soldier for that matter, as the main protagonist would bore me to no end. It's beyond generic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed