Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 629,826 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Governor orders everybody to stay at home. Most local businesses are still open, twice as much traffic as normal, mass gatherings at boat ramps, and all the cops have mysteriously disappeared.

Yeah, that did alot.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Get your toilet paper before stores run out!

Huggs

Huggs

Not a problem. Apparently, everybody's running to the river.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Lots of potential Darwin Award winners down south.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 03, 2020, 08:43:45 AM
Quote from: PredBabe on Apr 03, 2020, 03:34:54 AMFlorida announced their lockdown just yesterday. I work at a financial institution and we are considered essential so I'm still working 40 hours a week. The income and normalcy is appreciated but it's amazing how many people were visiting our branch today just to have something to do rather than stay at home as instructed.

Extroverts will be the death of us all.  I've also seen a spike in pointless Zoom meetings with my job.  It's as if management feels like they're not working enough unless they're roping the rest of us into their own circular discussions about shit that's usually above our pay grade.

We've had a few video conferences since we've started working from home that are just 'catch ups' and most of the people I'm catching up with are in Canberra.  I don't deal with 99% of these people normally; I don't have anything to catch up with them about.  But since there's so many people, it's easy to disconnect and no bugger notices.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Do you miss your commute?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 03, 2020, 10:15:39 PM

I'm worried that they're going to catch all the good fish.

It's bumper to bumper wherever there's water.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 03, 2020, 10:48:42 PM
Do you miss your commute?

Not at all.

Wysps

Wysps

And apparently home improvement projects. I went to Lowe's this afternoon...big mistake. Place was a circus.

Quote from: SM on Apr 03, 2020, 10:36:55 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Apr 03, 2020, 03:34:54 AMFlorida announced their lockdown just yesterday. I work at a financial institution and we are considered essential so I'm still working 40 hours a week. The income and normalcy is appreciated but it's amazing how many people were visiting our branch today just to have something to do rather than stay at home as instructed.

Extroverts will be the death of us all.  I've also seen a spike in pointless Zoom meetings with my job.  It's as if management feels like they're not working enough unless they're roping the rest of us into their own circular discussions about shit that's usually above our pay grade.

We've had a few video conferences since we've started working from home that are just 'catch ups' and most of the people I'm catching up with are in Canberra.  I don't deal with 99% of these people normally; I don't have anything to catch up with them about.  But since there's so many people, it's easy to disconnect and no bugger notices.

What is their reasoning for the extra tele-conferences with people you normally don't interact with? Sounds like it has the potential to make things harder for your (and your coworkers) workload  :(

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

So far other than caution tape telling people to stay 6' back and having to load a few things into people's vehicles it has not affected me at all.  Still working 50 plus hours a week.  I am super essential. 

Just glad I'm not in the guard anymore.  I might've then been super duper essential. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Wysps on Apr 04, 2020, 02:23:50 AMWhat is their reasoning for the extra tele-conferences with people you normally don't interact with? Sounds like it has the potential to make things harder for your (and your coworkers) workload  :(

They don't bother explaining themselves to us and we're not exactly in a position to ask.  They just email out the invitations and expect us all to attend because they're at home, we're at home and it's the closest they can come to recapturing the satisfaction that they normally derive from Lumberghing us all day.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 04, 2020, 03:22:46 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Apr 04, 2020, 02:23:50 AMWhat is their reasoning for the extra tele-conferences with people you normally don't interact with? Sounds like it has the potential to make things harder for your (and your coworkers) workload  :(

They don't bother explaining themselves to us and we're not exactly in a position to ask.  They just email out the invitations and expect us all to attend because they're at home, we're at home and it's the closest they can come to recapturing the satisfaction that they normally derive from Lumberghing us all day.

Yeesh, what a waste of employee energy. It's like, daily scheduled reminders about what direction the pyramid goes...

Hopefully everyone's BS meetings can start dissipating over the coming weeks, as the newness of remote work wears off  :-\

SM

SM

Quote from: Wysps on Apr 04, 2020, 02:23:50 AM

And apparently home improvement projects. I went to Lowe's this afternoon...big mistake. Place was a circus.

Quote from: SM on Apr 03, 2020, 10:36:55 PM

What is their reasoning for the extra tele-conferences with people you normally don't interact with? Sounds like it has the potential to make things harder for your (and your coworkers) workload  :(

My group is mostly in Canberra and a handful of people in Sydney and it's a large group.  I think it's just an effort to keep people in touch since all of us are working remotely.  The sentiment is fine, but the problem is it's unfocused and just leads to people rambling.  It's better to talk when we have something to talk about.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I also think the managers are scared shitless that the longer this goes on, the more apparent it'll become just how well their subordinates can work from home without their constant supervision.  The last thing they want is for the pointlessness of their own jobs to be laid bare for all to see.

Moreover, I fully expect many workers who previously had to suffer the personal expense of paying for gasoline, auto insurance and vehicle maintenance just to make an unnecessary hours-long commute will revolt when the time comes that their employers expect them to start doing so again.

SM

SM

My nature of my job is more or less tied to the office.  There will be many more people though who'll find they can work from home part time though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed