LastSonofKrypton

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jul 29, 2019, 08:12:30 AM
But now, it's entirely true.  ;)

You've still got another 3 years!

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I read it as, the name itself is now the old one.

Voodoo Magic

Kradan

Kradan

I wasn't checking AvPG for just couple days and so much has changed.  ;D

Happy birthday btw.

Huggs

Huggs

It's funny how sometimes when you walk the dog, it just walks around and you're the one that winds up having to poop.

The Old One

The Old One

Eventful day...

Huggs

Huggs

That nap felt so good that I think I'm just going to close my eyes and turn it into a full nights sleep.

The Old One

The Old One

I believe without the perseverence of a number of people, regularly posting the website is otherwise a ghost town.
Perhaps is the classic forum style really so obselete or the community surrounding the franchise really so niche, or is it something else?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 06, 2019, 10:48:04 AM
I believe without the perseverence of a number of people, regularly posting the website is otherwise a ghost town.

Indeed.

QuotePerhaps is the classic forum style really so obselete or the community surrounding the franchise really so niche, or is it something else?

All three?

It's been my experience that a lot of forums have been replaced by social media and the heyday of long discussion threads as a popular conversation tool is long behind us. The convenience of centralized topics under one roof with places like Reddit haven't helped independently hosted forums sites either.

We don't have the numbers like Marvel or Star Wars does, so it also doesn't help when an already small fanbase is spread thin within multiple sites. I find it like several desolate MMORPG servers, that would be hopping if they just consolidated it into one.

Yet, like I noticed with Terminator recently, all it takes is new film content to energize the slumbering casuals. Marvel, Star Wars, DC fans have that in spades. We unfortunately do not.

Nice topic FI.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 06, 2019, 12:48:11 PM
Yet, like I noticed with Terminator recently, all it takes is new film content to energize the slumbering casuals. Marvel, Star Wars, DC fans have that in spades. We unfortunately do not.

Actually we do. There's always a flurry of new and returning users in the run ups to the new films or games. But in the in-between, it's a lot quieter. It certainly is thanks to the "regulars" who keep things active.

But it is very much hard to keep any community such as this active in the now-a-days. Which is a shame because I hugely loathe Facebook as a discussion platform since it's so disorganized and easy to lose conversations.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

AvPGalaxy is a lot more active than several other Alien-focused areas. It's very general. Niche is sites like Aliens Legacy. I love their focus on the Marines, but activity is down. Really down.

Even if this is small compared to other fandoms, it's intimate, and people are (mostly) welcoming of different ideas and fan creations and discussions. Do arguments flare up? Absolutely. But Hicks keeps things under control and doesn't make people feel unwelcome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed