Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 629,258 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I thought this was pretty cool, posters that are made out of metal.

http://displate.com/iconic-characters

I'd like the Boba Fett and Han Solo ones.

Raku

Raku

Recently I've been thinking about publishing a book of my creative work. Although I'm leaning more towards poetry because poems are easier to flesh out, and clean up while stories are rougher to deal (not that any of my stories are bad). Which is funny because I've really never had this thought process before, but it might be the multiple "creative writing" classes I've been taking finally getting to me.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if my poetry (or stories) is worth publishing. I don't want to be called a "hack" before I even get the chance to start =/

Despite all this, I would like to try.

SM

SM

Get it as good as you can get it and publish.

Getting called a hack is nothing, because it doesn't tell you what exactly you might be doing wrong.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

you can self publish with little to no difficulty nowadays under the e-webs.

if your work takes off and does well then you know you have some fairy dust in your work.  If it doesn't then listen to what reviews you get back and make any corrections based on them. 

Raku

Raku

I know I can't help, but still get worried sometimes.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 06, 2014, 05:23:26 AM
you can self publish with little to no difficulty nowadays under the e-webs.
That was another concern I had, but I'm sure (if I ever decide to) I can find way to put a book out there.

Quoteif your work takes off and does well then you know you have some fairy dust in your work.  If it doesn't then listen to what reviews you get back and make any corrections based on them.

I think what would be best would be to have a small group of people read my work before I put it together, and then put out there. That way I can take criticism both from home (to fix mistakes I make) and from the public to help shape me as a creator.

I can share a few pieces from the past, but my only concern is if I could legally still publish them once they're on the net.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

your work is your work no matter what as long as you protect it

the only thing about people at home looking at things is they probably won't be objective about revising and fixing any problems with somebody they knows work

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I got a love poem published once, but I don't think I can help because of the way I did it. I just simply found  one day on facebook that there was a poetry contest and worthy poems would be published in a book of collective poems, top winners would get prizes and $$$. I put my heart and soul and many hours into a poem and I sent it in, and I was actually worthy and it got published.

But nothing happened after, I didn't expect much in the first place but that's just for the record. I did though start having doubts later about the  legitimacy of the contest because I had to buy my own copy of the book, and when I looked through it while there was some good stuff, there was this stuff like this one about fricken Justin Bieber. After that I started to feel a bit scammed. Regardless of that though I still love the poem and have it down in my own little notebook of poems that has gathered some dust.

So my advice, avoid contests.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: tavianini19 on Nov 06, 2014, 03:42:54 AM
Wait what happened to the threads? Those people didn't start those topics...this is odd.
Today on Drunk History: AvPGalaxy Edition, the story of how Rick Grimes started the What made you happy today thread.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 06, 2014, 06:26:47 AM
Quote from: tavianini19 on Nov 06, 2014, 03:42:54 AM
Wait what happened to the threads? Those people didn't start those topics...this is odd.
Today on Drunk History: AvPGalaxy Edition, the story of how Rick Grimes started the What made you happy today thread.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

According to Darkness in the unhappy thread the thread sizes were apparently causing performance issues so they were split in two, the first halfs can still be found with "part 1" next  to them.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Was just about to come and mention that.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

We just brought some Pis to play with at work so been looking at what you can do with them online and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaiNsFhtI8

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Nov 06, 2014, 08:06:21 AM
According to Darkness in the unhappy thread the thread sizes were apparently causing performance issues so they were split in two, the first halfs can still be found with "part 1" next  to them.

Well, let's get on crashing these servers again.

King Rathalos

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 06, 2014, 09:37:03 AM
We just brought some Pis to play with at work so been looking at what you can do with them online and came across this:

Why'd you have them at work? I've heard of them. Just never saw the point in them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed