The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Oct 02, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 111,102 times)

Seegson

Seegson

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 03, 2014, 05:08:24 PM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Oct 03, 2014, 05:05:04 PM
To knock points off because it's hard doesn't make sense when the developer billed it as hard. Dark souls gets reviewers jizzing on its difficulty.

But DS is hard because of your lack of skill (for that section). While A:I apparently is cheaply difficult ->

http://a.pomf.se/vllqpw.gif

What is this!?

Just curious, in the original Gamespot clip, cant you hear the alien steps and scream before the dead scene?
The Alien use to turn 180° and run towards ripley at an amazing speed in a lot of vids...and often when she is in the middle of a room and the alien passing by

Ash 937

Ash 937

I think that the low score that IGN (and some of the other websites) gave to Isolation are because they are gearing their review toward casual gamers instead of hardcore ones.

I'm a casual gamer these days.  It took me awhile to finish Colonial Marines because I don't play often...and from the reviews of Isolation are saying, it's possible that I might not ever finish that game.  It doesn't make it bad...it just makes it tailored more for a certain type of gamer with a particular level of dedication.

So far, none of the "negative" points that the bad reviews are making about A:I signal that it is a bad game to me. 

They actually make it sound better imo.

acrediblesource

I can't or will NEVER agree with IGN because of the Jerk, knee-jerk, erking culture of their community base. Basically IGN can kick everyone in the balls for the fun of it, and still be swimming in money because of all their endorsements  and ads.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 03, 2014, 05:10:34 PMACM was mind-numbingly easy...

Someone didn't play 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' on the 'Ultimate Badass' difficulty setting.

Not that I particularly care to defend that game but I hear so many people complaining about how easy the game was, which is so out of whack with my experience on the hardest difficulty setting.  I really feel that playing on that setting goes a long way to making the experience a fair bit less awful (note that I didn't actually say "good").

That Yellow Alien

I remember breezing through ultimate badass mode.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Oct 03, 2014, 06:36:01 PM

I didn't..........

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Outside Xbox's [video] review of the game has been the best presented I've seen thus far. I hope to see an intelligently thought out and worded negative review as well, but so far, they're just complaining about length  and the fact that it's not predictable enough and too hard... In which most of the footage shows the player trying to run as soon as the distractions are deployed.

Ash937 is correct in saying that the IGN reviews are directed at highly casual players, AKA the lowest common denominator. They complained about the fact that the recommended mode was the Hard difficulty...which says it all. Honestly, most of the complants about difficulty and length are what entice me, rather than put me off. I'm a casual gamer by definition (though a hardcore fan of the medium), but I crave that challenge in a game like this, rather than the bland, predictable jumpfest that is Outlast or other typical market saturating horror games.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 03, 2014, 05:08:24 PM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Oct 03, 2014, 05:05:04 PM
To knock points off because it's hard doesn't make sense when the developer billed it as hard. Dark souls gets reviewers jizzing on its difficulty.

But DS is hard because of your lack of skill (for that section). While A:I apparently is cheaply difficult ->

http://a.pomf.se/vllqpw.gif

What is this!?

Someone not playing carefully. (Listen to the alien's footsteps.. use the radar, etc... HIDE when he's near... dude was standing near a door all casual when the xeno was approaching. dumb move. )

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteHonestly, most oof the complants about difficulty and length are what entice me, rather than put me off.

Pretty much.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Oct 03, 2014, 06:36:01 PM

+1. The xenos in ACM are not a challenge at all.

Vrastal

Vrastal

Overall positive reviews.  Looks like a winner.

complaining about difficulty is stupids when the devs straight up said its a hard game

p1nk81cd

p1nk81cd

Crying foul over a game against a deadly beast from the stars being too hard? What, did they expect it to be a game of running and gunning?

The hardness and longevity of the game are +s for me like so many others. Can't wait!    :)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Nazrel on Oct 03, 2014, 07:52:39 PM
Overall positive reviews.  Looks like a winner.

complaining about difficulty is stupids when the devs straight up said its a hard game

I'm sifting through YouTube reviews right now and they're all very positive.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 03, 2014, 04:34:26 PM
I don't see how you could compare ACM and A:I. They share nothing in common in therms of gameplay. They are two completely different games.

One good, one terrible.

These reviews hit the sweet spot for me. f**kin' IGN.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed