The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Oct 02, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 110,463 times)

Vrastal

Vrastal

I hope game files for steam can be downloaded soon so i can play as soon as the game goes live

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Oct 03, 2014, 08:29:04 PM
Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 03, 2014, 04:34:26 PM
I don't see how you could compare ACM and A:I. They share nothing in common in therms of gameplay. They are two completely different games.

One good, one terrible.

These reviews hit the sweet spot for me. f**kin' IGN.

Exactly. You can compare any game to another based on quality.

souNdwAve89

souNdwAve89

lol, IGN has always been random with their review ratings. The fact that IGN gave this game a lower rating due to unpredictable AI and lack of scripted events is funny because that is what you want in a game like this. The fact that the AI is random makes a survival horror game much more challenging. It also makes the Xenomorph more of a threat knowing that it's programmed to be unpredictable. Isolation is a game that fans have been wanting for a while.

acrediblesource

Anyone else waiting to hear about the narrative?  >:(  We all know by now everyone who played it shat their shepherd's pie.
I've seen so far from walkthroughs some interesting character conversations, I'm just wondering how much more there is to that. 15Hours of expect gameplay (so does that mean 15 hours of a quick walkthrough finish? or 15 Hours of  dialogue.)

Vrastal

Vrastal

Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 03, 2014, 10:23:33 PM
Anyone else waiting to hear about the narrative?  >:(  We all know by now everyone who played it shat their shepherd's pie.
I've seen so far from walkthroughs some interesting character conversations, I'm just wondering how much more there is to that. 15Hours of expect gameplay (so does that mean 15 hours of a quick walkthrough finish? or 15 Hours of  dialogue.)

I dont understand what youre asking

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: acrediblesource on Oct 03, 2014, 10:23:33 PM

I think it may have been the Escapist's review or another that gushed about the game but said it had too many endings, too many subplots that took much time to pay off, some wild twists, etc. Personally I'm good with that, myself - give me more of these people. One of them did imply
Spoiler
that Amanda gets closure re: her mother, and then the story keeps going.
[close]

There's also this from the Eurogamer review:

Spoiler
QuoteThere's an elongated flashback that feels jarring - taking you out of Ripley and making you play as another character, solely so you can get a change of scenery. There's very little gameplay in this section and it proves to be a slow and rather indigestible lump of unnecessary exposition to drop in the middle of the game.
[close]

That Yellow Alien

Somehow I got myself into a twitter debate with the reviewer for Polygon because he said the Alien is modeled after the Resurrection design when it clearly isn't...

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Oct 03, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
I remember breezing through ultimate badass mode.

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 03, 2014, 07:43:53 PM+1. The xenos in ACM are not a challenge at all.

Hmm... well I'm a more than competent gamer and whilst I didn't find the challenge of the 'Ultimate Badass' setting to be akin to scaling a mountain; it certainly did put my abilities as a gamer to the test (I passed with flying colours of course but the game didn't simply hand me my metaphorical medal without first making me work for it).

Saying that it was "a breeze" and "not a challenge at all" makes me think that you're either...

A/ Among the greatest gamers of all time in terms of pure skill and innate ability.  The sort of people whom would make Billy Mitchell look like a 97 year old geriatric with parkinson's disease when it comes to playing 'Donkey Kong'.  I was going to say "make Billy Mitchell look like a bragging pillock" but that would make my point completely moot, as he seems to be doing a pretty good job of that already, as dare I say, do you.

B/ One of those YouTube commentators whom claim, in-between their bouts of casual racism and text speak, that 'Dark Souls' was a walk in the proverbial park for them.  Funnily enough, all of these people seem to be 6'1 tall, bronzed like a succulent turkey, roasted upon the fires of the very Gods themselves and built like a house that consists of something rhyming with the word "mitt".  Well, that's according to the comments they leave underneath various 'Dark Soul' YouTube videos at least.  I have absolutely no reason to doubt them at all, just as I have no reason to doubt you... at all.

C/ A combination of misremembering the sheer number of times that your character was killed when playing 'Ultimate Badass' mode and an agenda to not acknowledge that 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' succeed in anything at all.  A desire not to even so much as concede that, at the very least, it succeeded in presenting you with any kind of challenge whatsoever.

D/ A person with an inescapable urge to type an angry response to all the above.

I suspect that the base of truth lies somewhere between the options of 'C' and 'D', with perhaps a little of 'A' and 'B' sprinkled on top for good measure.  Sort of like an eccles cake with a surgery topping.  An eccles cake made of disingenuity and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands of half-truths.

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Oct 03, 2014, 07:01:02 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Oct 03, 2014, 06:36:01 PM
I remember breezing through ultimate badass mode.

I didn't..........

A short post, consisting of nothing more than two words deserves a response in kind, so here it is...

You're honest.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Oct 03, 2014, 11:05:12 PM
Spoiler
QuoteThere's an elongated flashback that feels jarring - taking you out of Ripley and making you play as another character, solely so you can get a change of scenery. There's very little gameplay in this section and it proves to be a slow and rather indigestible lump of unnecessary exposition to drop in the middle of the game.
[close]

This actually has me intrigued, very intrigued.

...Though I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'll be extremely disappointed if that character doesn't turn out to be...
Spoiler
Jonesy the cat
[close]

Engineer

Engineer

Everyone plays with varying levels of skill. Debating whether ACM was difficult or not based solely on "your" skill/experience is a fruitless debate. I felt like ACM was far too easy on ultimate badass as well, although some segments did give me a run for my money, admittedly. However the aliens themselves were too easy because they were cannon fodder; I wanted to fight hords of aliens with some tactical ability other than just sprinting straight at you. My background as a gamer consists of primarily playing the halo series on legendary (some skulls on) solo. Now THAT is a challenge! After playing the halo series for the past 10+ years, I'd definitely say no ACM on ultimate badass was not difficult enough to leave me feeling satisfied... With that being said, the "too hard" complaints have me more than excited for isolation!!!

Aspie

Aspie

is the AI for this alien really going to be as bad as described

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Aspie on Oct 04, 2014, 01:45:01 AM
is the AI for this alien really going to be as bad as described

If you're reading the ign review and find yourself put off then don't the buy the game

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

If by bad you mean incredible then the answer is yes.

Vepariga

Vepariga

Going from the other reviews, Looks like IGN doesnt know how to play the f**king game.

typical.

Engineer

Engineer

Fyi... There's already a guide/walkthrough available online. It details the first 3 missions. Obviously heavy in spoilers (I resisted looking it over). It also has the locations for the collectables in those missions: the ID tags (50 total throughout the game) and the archive logs (20 total throughout the game). If anyone is interested, here's the link...

http://m.ign.com/wikis/alien-isolation

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed