Did Ridley scott do a good job at making prometheus a prequel to the alien film?

Started by predalien48, Aug 14, 2014, 02:38:17 PM

Author
Did Ridley scott do a good job at making prometheus a prequel to the alien film? (Read 10,050 times)

SM

There's no indication he was high prior to them getting lost.

And it still doesn't make any difference.  As soon as they don't know where they are, they can contact Prometheus to guide them out.  That gets handwaved.

MrSpaceJockey

Memory's fuzzy - did the storm not make communication difficult?  What would be the point of leading them out to a terrible storm very far from the Prometheus, with all the vans and RVs parked in the garage? 

From what I recall just when they were starting to lose their way Janek's like "goodnight the storm's gonna make talking a bitch" and they're like "ahh f**k you but we'll see you in the morning so fine we'll deal with this later."  Pups did their job, and getting lost was no big deal, handwaved because Fifield and Milburn didn't expect to get killed by the hammerpede that night.

From what I recall, anyway.

SM

Janek talks to them a couple times after the storm hits and we can see their locations on the 3D map.

The storm only seems to cause minor disruption to the audio and video feeds.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

You guys are not seeing the forest for the trees here. Fifield and Milburn wanted to get "lost".

Janek knew what was up.  ;)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2014, 11:05:20 PM
QuoteThey lead the characters through the network on tunnels. Mapping the area to reveal the juggernaut giving the characters time to judge what to do about it.

And yet the guy who brought them got lost and then got killed.  As did the guy with him.  Despite a nice big 3D map on Prometheus that pinpointed their exact location and could've been used to guide them.

Guide them where? The exit? Not a good idea when there's the worst storm imaginable outside. As Janek said the only option is wait until the morning once the storm has past.

That said, the Pups were not useless. Fifield and Milburn were the idiots for not immediately calling the ship for help in the 15 or so minutes before the storm hit.

SM

QuoteGuide them where? The exit? Not a good idea when there's the worst storm imaginable outside.

They got lost before the storm hit.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Aug 18, 2014, 03:30:15 AM
To nitpick, we don't see him getting high until they settle in the ampule room after getting lost.
My bad.  It's been a while.

whiterabbit

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 18, 2014, 02:05:20 PM
You guys are not seeing the forest for the trees here. Fifield and Milburn wanted to get "lost".

Wait... so he ignored um because he thought they wanted to f**k? Oh man, no, so that is why fifield took so long to attack the prometheus.

Inverse Effect

YES! i love how it explains nothing, and it leaves so much mystery regarding its plot.

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Aug 18, 2014, 10:20:15 PM
QuoteGuide them where? The exit? Not a good idea when there's the worst storm imaginable outside.

They got lost before the storm hit.

I know...

Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 18, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
Fifield and Milburn were the idiots for not immediately calling the ship for help in the 15 or so minutes before the storm hit.

The pups were still doing their job. Remember they had yet to map out the Juggernaut.

predalien48

For all of you who think its not a prequel checkout the link.http://www.imdb.com/news/ni28147436/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 18, 2014, 11:06:46 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 18, 2014, 02:05:20 PM

Wait... so he ignored um because he thought they wanted to f**k? Oh man, no, so that is why fifield took so long to attack the prometheus.

Yeah, yeah... remember Janek told them to "sleep tight" and "not to bugger each other" while slyly winking.

It would also explain why Milbum made a beeline to Hifield in the mess-hall and introduced himself while totally ignoring the dude sitting next to him. It was love at first sight!!  :-* Hifield was still "in the closet" so to speak so that explains his inexplicably hostile reaction towards Milbum. Later on in the APC they were already discreetly bumbing helmets and by the time they found the head they just had to have each other! They couldn't do it in the ship because Hifield hasn't come out yet so they decided to spend the night in a deserted, romantic alien temple complex.

So it's either lazy writing which got them lost or there is a homoerotic subplot between those two characters.

Alien³

PsyKore

Quote from: predalien48 on Aug 19, 2014, 01:51:17 PM
For all of you who think its not a prequel checkout the link.http://www.imdb.com/news/ni28147436/

Did you actually read that?  :-X

Xenoscream

Quote from: Gilfryd on Aug 17, 2014, 04:42:06 PM
Filmmakers should almost be barred from making prequels to their seminal science fiction works from now on.

Quoted for truth!

I don't think Prometheus is a very good film, the main thing which makes it a prequel in my book is the engineer = space jockey. I seriously wish they has just left the space jockey alone, they could have still done the engineers but just had them be another race. This would have retained the original mystery of the SJ in Alien and not really impacted Prometheus as a film in any way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed