Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot!

Started by 85, Jun 24, 2014, 07:34:28 PM

Author
Shane Black To Write and Direct Predator Reboot! (Read 92,621 times)

Tangakkai

A Reboot can be a sequel or a remake/replacement.

Reboot simply means that a franchise that has been dead for a long time, gets a new installment with new cast/crew/director, new blood, etc.

So yes, Predators is a sequel while also being a reboot of the franchise. Reboot is not a technical, but a rethoric term.

SM

QuoteReboot simply means that a franchise that has been dead for a long time, gets a new installment with new cast/crew/director, new blood, etc.

Pretty much.  People get too hung up on reboots starting from scratch and ignoring previous stuff.  Which would be a remake.

If they made another Alien flick now with Siggy, it'd still be considered a reboot.  A reboot of the franchise (depending on how one views Prometheus) but not the overall storyline.

Tangakkai

Very well said.

Btw am I the only one excited that we might finally get cool characters again? I mean let's face it apart from Brody and Braga, the cast of predators was pretty... well... meh... if not even bad... I wouldn't say it was their fault. Their dialogues were horrible and their characters were poorly written and just placeholders.

I think Shane Black has got a thing for cool dynamics between characters that are a bit more fleshed out. He might actually bring the fun back to the franchise... fun that was heavily lacking since the first AvP movie.

T Dog

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 26, 2014, 11:22:44 PM
Very well said.

Btw am I the only one excited that we might finally get cool characters again? I mean let's face it apart from Brody and Braga, the cast of predators was pretty... well... meh... if not even bad... I wouldn't say it was their fault. Their dialogues were horrible and their characters were poorly written and just placeholders.

I think Shane Black has got a thing for cool dynamics between characters that are a bit more fleshed out. He might actually bring the fun back to the franchise... fun that was heavily lacking since the first AvP movie.

I thought Walton Goggin's character was pretty funny. I mean he called a Predator a "space faggot".

It would be good if they brought back Royce and Isabel. I don't exactly know what they'll do but they were pretty good.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: tmjhur on Jun 26, 2014, 11:48:58 PM
I thought Walton Goggin's character was pretty funny. I mean he called a Predator a "space faggot".

I actually thought that Stans was one of the low point of the movie. And I thought the whole "Space Faggot" thing was just dumb.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jun 26, 2014, 08:39:20 PM
What am I expecting from this project?

A big budget action feature with a late 80's early 90's feel. Expendables meets Predator (but with some clever twist none of us has thought of yet and will divide the fans.) Arnold will probably feature in some capacity.

Chances are that this is something what we will be getting. How it will be pulled off, only Black and Dekker know.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jun 26, 2014, 08:39:20 PM
The same thing I wanted from Predators. It opens on earth with a special unit behind enemy lines in some war torn foreign country. A Predator event occurs right in the middle of the battle and men and women from both sides of the battle are captured, tagged, and dropped onto another world and hunted/pitted against each other for sport in some crazy alien arena/fortress like The Running Man. The survivors make a few extraterrestrial friends and manage to escape the 'game area' and meet up with others who have done so (enter Arnold/Dutch) and together they try to find a way outta this hole.   

I'm not so sure I would want a repeat of PREDATORS, and that particular idea definitely echoes of some elements of the 1994 Robert Rodriguez script if that was intentional or not. We've already got the preserve planet idea which was meant to reflect some elements of the original idea of PREDATORS. I'm not so sure that I would want to see the gladiator idea put on screen.

If people want the new movie to be set on another planet, fine but I wouldn't want a repeat of PREDATORS. Have it set in the future, have a reason for humans being on this planet i.e. settling down or crash landing where survival is a necessity.

Spoonman101

The movie hasn't hit production and you all are still debating on how it should be plotted....
Please don't feel offended, but I've seen better ideas from a 1st grade class fifteen minutes from recess...
Can't we all just stop talking about trivial garbage and discuss questions rather than give answers?
I feel unhealthy even glimpsing on this thread....

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 26, 2014, 11:01:40 PMReboot simply means that a franchise that has been dead for a long time, gets a new installment with new cast/crew/director, new blood, etc.
No it doesn't. Not at all. Reboot specifically means discarding everything and starting again. THAT IS WHAT THE WORD MEANS. Look it up.

SM

In terms of films it can mean discarding everything and starting again or it could mean reviving a franchise that hasn't done anything for ages.

Star Trek is the classic example that straddles both meanings.  With the presence of Nimoy as Spock, it was a sequel to the existing Trek shows and films, but effectively started everything from scratch again.  Rise of the Planet of the Apes is another example.

This new Predator flick will end up being a sequel, but if it does nothing to reference previous films or continue a story from them, it'll no doubt get called a reboot anyway.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2014, 09:08:43 AMIn terms of films it can mean discarding everything and starting again or it could mean reviving a franchise that hasn't done anything for ages.
No, it literally means starting afresh, the term is just misused so much by Hollywood that people think it means all sorts of things.

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2014, 09:08:43 AMStar Trek is the classic example that straddles both meanings.  With the presence of Nimoy as Spock, it was a sequel to the existing Trek shows and films, but effectively started everything from scratch again.  Rise of the Planet of the Apes is another example.
Granted, that was a special case. It was both a reboot and a sequel. But it was a fairly unique example.

SiL

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 27, 2014, 09:11:30 AM
No, it literally means starting afresh, the term is just misused so much by Hollywood that people think it means all sorts of things.
Words are defined by their common usage. If the term "reboot" in the context of movies means starting fresh regardless of being an actual sequel or not, then that's what it means.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Jun 27, 2014, 09:15:12 AMWords are defined by their common usage. If the term "reboot" in the context of movies means starting fresh regardless of being an actual sequel or not, then that's what it means.
Starting fresh. Which by definition means it is not a sequel. It's a new beginning, starting at 0.

SiL

"Starting fresh" doesn't mean you are literally an entirely new thing. It's a figure of speech. You start fresh every day, that doesn't mean you're a whole new person with a different history, different parents, etc.

HuDaFuK

Again, the definition of reboot is: "To discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning."

Which is clearly not Predators.

SiL

The definition from where? Many movies considered reboots only ignore certain sequels -- Superman Returns, pretty much every other Universal Soldier movie, etc.

Lemonade

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 27, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
Again, the definition of reboot is: "To discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning."

Which is clearly not Predators.

Oh gee, someone really should've told the news outlets reporting it as such to do a Wiki search of the word first. Dude. Shane Black said it would not be a reboot, what more do you f**king want?

PREDATORS WASN'T A REBOOT EH? Read this: http://www.mtv.com/news/1637935/adrien-brody-says-predators-will-be-intense-harrowing/

"Absolutely," Brody said when asked if he thought the franchise characters had been damaged; the Oscar-winning actor will head "Predators," due out July 7. "And I think [saving the franchise] is also the objective of the studio. This is basically a reboot."

Predators wasn't a reboot, you say? See, I can play this game too. f**king humans hahaha.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed