Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders

Started by LastSurvivor92, Apr 12, 2014, 08:41:08 AM

Author
Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders (Read 79,517 times)

Xeno Killer 2179

For some people, that really is how it works.

I was psychotic for several months recently and simply willed myself out of it.

MCP

MCP

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 04, 2015, 04:09:00 AM
Yeah, just deal with the chemical imbalance. That's how that works.

That term is unscientific.  There is no such thing as a 'chemical imbalance'.  It is not a malfunction of the brain like alzheimer's or parkinson's. 

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Mar 04, 2015, 04:32:58 AM
For some people, that really is how it works.

I was psychotic for several months recently and simply willed myself out of it.

Are you being sarcastic?

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

No, I was severely delusional, thinking the tv was commenting on me, scared my dog was learning to talk. etc.

It's what they call a latent psychosis....basically you seem normal but the slightest change while in that state of mind and everyone will see that you're in another world.

It's happened a few times. I just ignore these thoughts and make an effort to stop believing them and the paranoia goes away, sometimes completely. I don't hallucinate so it's not really schizophrenia or some organic problem (and so meds have no effect on it)

whiterabbit

Hell no, those drugs do work. When people jump off of their meds bad things always happen. Sure the side effects aren't always pretty but chemical imbalances which lead to mental illness can be treated with pharmaceuticals.

Sabby

Quote from: MCP on Mar 04, 2015, 04:34:20 AM
Quote from: Sabby on Mar 04, 2015, 04:09:00 AM
Yeah, just deal with the chemical imbalance. That's how that works.

That term is unscientific.  There is no such thing as a 'chemical imbalance'.  It is not a malfunction of the brain like alzheimer's or parkinson's. 

Really? What's the proper term, if you know? All I meant was that if you have serious depression or anything that is a major mood and behavior alterer, it can be nearly impossible to 'just beat it'. It's like asking someone who can't feel happiness to just think happy thoughts.

[cancerblack]

While "chemical imbalance" is an awfully vague term with no scientific value, it is absolutely quantifiable that some people, for whatever reason(s), over-produce stress hormones or under-produce other native chemistry, often leading to altered moods. You're welcome to provide evidence that it's all quackery though. :)

whiterabbit

I think it is socially unacceptable to use the term "chemical imbalance" to describe mental illness in the same way you can't call a person with cognitive disabilities as mentally retarded.

MCP

MCP

So, is mind-numbing drugs the cure for the human soul?  :o

Sabby

Who are these evil doctors peddling brain destroying Sheep Pills I keep hearing about? It seems these discussions always start with "Depression can be fought with a good mindset and lifestyle" and when people point out that's bullshit, it's "Oh, well doctors are evil".

[cancerblack]

Yeah it's GPs who always want to throw zombie pills at me, never shrinks. Sabby, you too are missing the point, in that depression totally can be fought with good mindset and lifestyle - if it's minor depression. There's a world of difference between that and long term depression though.

Xeno Killer 2179

I honestly think a good amount of people are reacting to very shitty surroundings and patterns of living. People are essentially just animals, and despite common opinion, we are still highly instinctual beings that have next to no ability to see the base cause--effect of things in our day to day lives.

If you have never noticed the pill pushers, you have never been that involved with the system, or are unwilling to see it.
___

And yes, the term chemical imbalance is a crock of psuedo-science bullshit that invalidates and sweeps under the rug any real attempt at understanding what is happening.

"Durr hurrr it's just an imbalance"

I tend to see the people who use the phrase as no different from ancients sacrificing members of the tribe to their gods to keep them happy.

It's the thinking of people that surrender any and all control over themselves they might have because of what other people say or do.

And no drugs "treat" mental illness---psychiatrists know this. These drugs essentially alter the brains functioning until the people observing the patient no longer see them as being problematic or at risk of injury to self or others.

It's basically sedating and numbing away a part of the brain to lower the volume of dysfunction, rather than healing the dysfunction. This has both short and long term health implications by itself.

With depression sometimes this is more like being pushed out of a rut, which is fine when the meds can be stopped, but the problem is the low success rate of meds, not knowing how they work, knowing little how they effect kids despite kids getting prescribed them, and the sheer volume of this crud being consumed.

And in response to Cancerblack, a GP made me horribly sick giving me an antipsychotic without telling me what it was, then months later lawsuit commercials for said medication were blasting every 10 minutes.

[cancerblack]

Why did you take medication without knowing what it was???

Xeno Killer 2179

The doctor actually said it was for sleep because I had insomnia.

So I was mislead.

[cancerblack]

Fookin hell. I hope you gave him hell for that.

Sabby

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Mar 04, 2015, 07:57:49 PMIf you have never noticed the pill pushers, you have never been that involved with the system, or are unwilling to see it.

I love when people tell me what my experience must have been. Look man, I've suffered severe depression and even schizophrenia for most of my life. Thinking positive, eating well, being active, all about as effective as willing your car to move when it has no wheels. Medication has been the only reliable way of regulating my moods and giving me a stable mindset to start building on. I'm 26 years old and I'm learning people skills I should have been learning when I was 10. The only reason it's taken me this long to start fixing my brain was I fell into the same anti-psychiatric nonsense I keep seeing in this thread. Yes, shrinks are too quick to give out meds, everyone agrees on this, and it should be fixed, but living in denial and trying to legitimize that feeling as some informed stance on the mental health industry is only holding you back from real help.

Guess where I get my pills from? A free clinic. Yeah, I get prescriptions from the mall cop variant of doctors. I've only needed to go to an actual professional a few times in my life, and still these half trained med school drop outs who can barely speak english have been more help to me any amount of positive thinking. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed