Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 25, 2014, 06:55:12 AM

Author
Alien 3's (Assembly Cut) Extremely Dark Atmosphere (Read 19,509 times)

SiL

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 08, 2014, 11:18:11 PM
Perhaps it's to do with film runtime?

The extended version puts it closer to the runtime of the first two.
The TC is about the same length as Alien. The AC is about the same length as Aliens. Either way the runtime is close to the first two.

SM

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 08, 2014, 11:42:45 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 08, 2014, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 08, 2014, 10:25:02 PM
I can tell you why- Golic releasing the Dragon is my favourite scene.

That scene may have been interesting if the alien had actually spared Golic.

Defo but...
We don't know if he was spared or not, although it's implied he is.

Do you like Alien3?

It's implied he's dead.

QuotePerhaps it's to do with film runtime?

That works against it.  It makes a film that already drags in parts - drag in more parts.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Mar 08, 2014, 09:41:14 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2014, 12:39:50 PM
He's just never mentioned after Clemens dies. He could've been taken after Clemens (unlikely), killed in the explosion (likely), or just left strapped to the bed (the least likely, but certainly not the most bizarre idea the film had).

I think Dillon says 'This makes eleven' when they find Arthur's body (despite Arthur being in the previous scene).  I think this number would include Golic.

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 08, 2014, 11:36:47 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 25, 2014, 05:57:12 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 25, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
Y'all know what I think about Alien 3 AC.

I don't.  Tell me.

It's a masterpiece that rose from the ashes of a terrible production like a phoenix.

And yet no one has ever been able to articulate why it's better.  It doesn't fix address of the problems in the theatrical version and all we're left with is the explanation that 'more = better'.  It's not even Finchers preferred cut of the film.
I wouldn't say it was better but I find the AC more interesting to watch,because of the extra material.Fincher was invited to give us his preferred cut but chose not to participate in the DVD/Blu Ray releases.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: SM on Mar 09, 2014, 12:13:06 AM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 08, 2014, 11:42:45 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 08, 2014, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Mar 08, 2014, 10:25:02 PM
I can tell you why- Golic releasing the Dragon is my favourite scene.

That scene may have been interesting if the alien had actually spared Golic.

Defo but...
We don't know if he was spared or not, although it's implied he is.

Do you like Alien3?

It's implied he's dead.

QuotePerhaps it's to do with film runtime?

That works against it.  It makes a film that already drags in parts - drag in more parts.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

I never felt it dragged.
And even so, I think it's worth the subplot.

Alien³

Alien³

It's a masterpiece that rose from the ashes of a terrible production like a phoenix.
And yet no one has ever been able to articulate why it's better. It doesn't address any of the problems in the theatrical version and all we're left with is the explanation that 'more = better'.  It's not even Finchers preferred cut of the film.

So it's your opinion that for some reason no one out there can coherently explain why they think the AC cut is better?

Many have expressed why they think it's a "better" cut. I believe it's a better cut of the movie because it clears up things that were missing in the theatrical cut. It adds more characterisation to a number of the prisoners not to mention has the entire beach opening which sets the atmosphere of the film and introduces us to this desolate setting. It doesn't drag (at least not for myself) and it removes the queen bursting from Ripley, which was a nice change as it felt a bit too corny for it to burst out just as she was falling as it did in the TC.

The fact that we even have an AC cut kinda proves how messy and inferior the TC is. The only thing for myself that the TC does better is the Dog burster sequence. Its much more hard hitting than a dead ox.

I'm interested to know what these problems are from the TC that the AC left out.

Also, does Fincher even have a preferred cut of the film? ::) Does he even care?

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 09, 2014, 02:25:50 PM
And yet no one has ever been able to articulate why it's better. It doesn't address any of the problems in the theatrical version and all we're left with is the explanation that 'more = better'.  It's not even Finchers preferred cut of the film.

So it's your opinion that for some reason no one out there can coherently explain why they think the AC cut is better?

Many have expressed why they think it's a "better" cut. I believe it's a better cut of the movie because it clears up things that were missing in the theatrical cut. It adds more characterisation to a number of the prisoners not to mention has the entire beach opening which sets the atmosphere of the film and introduces us to this desolate setting. It doesn't drag (at least not for myself) and it removes the queen bursting from Ripley, which was a nice change as it felt a bit too corny for it to burst out just as she was falling as it did in the TC.

The fact that we even have an AC cut kinda proves how messy and inferior the TC is. The only thing for myself that the TC does better is the Dog burster sequence. Its much more hard hitting than a dead ox.

I'm interested to know what these problems are from the TC that the AC left out.

Also, does Fincher even have a preferred cut of the film? ::) Does he even care?

Alien³ is spot on man. I agree. I love the opening beach sequence far more than what the TC gave us. It really sets the tone and atmosphere for the whole movie. Listen to what Terry Rawlings the editor of Alien 3 and Alien had to say about it on the Special Features of Alien 3. The Assembly Cut adds a lot to the characters. Dillion and the prisoners especially. I thought the scene added to the AC with Ripley and Dillion in his cell discussing the possibility of killing the Alien was crucial for the story. That scene alone explained alot. "So your telling me there coming to take this thing away." "Yeah there gonna try. They don't want to kill it. We got to figure out a way before they come here." "Why do we have to kill it? You just said the company was coming for it?" "Thats right. They want to take it back. Some sort of weapon." "Yeah whats wrong with that?" "They can't control it. They don't understand. It will kill them all." "Like I said, whats wrong with that?" "Nothings wrong with that....except a lot of innocent people will die...I thought you were a religious man?" "You don't understand do you? that world out there doesn't exist for us anymore. We got our own little world out here....it aint much but... its ours." "So f**k everybody else." "No... f**k them."

Gilfryd

The movie is so overbearingly gloomy and depressing it becomes obnoxious.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Gilfryd on Mar 09, 2014, 06:01:02 PM
The movie is so overbearingly gloomy and depressing it becomes obnoxious.

In your opinion.

I thought it was a perfectly gloomy way to end a horror Saga and the journey of a tortured character.

Mr. Clemens

It speaks to the film's strengths and impact that we can even argue, twenty-two years later, about how it could have been great. People can't even be arsed, generally, to have the same arguments about Resurrection - a turkey is easy to spot, and Alien3 ain't it.

Man, I wish Fincher would go on the record about this movie...

Local Trouble

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 09, 2014, 02:25:50 PMSo it's your opinion that for some reason no one out there can coherently explain why they think the AC cut is better?
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49000.msg1772003#msg1772003

SM

SM

QuoteSo it's your opinion that for some reason no one out there can coherently explain why they think the AC cut is better?

No, it's a fact.  They can say they like it better, but no one's ever been able to objectively explain how it's a better film.

QuoteI believe it's a better cut of the movie because it clears up things that were missing in the theatrical cut.

What does it clear up?  This is the question I've been asking that no one can answer.  What missing pieces of the theatrical version does it give us, that actually improve the film?

QuoteIt adds more characterisation to a number of the prisoners not to mention has the entire beach opening which sets the atmosphere of the film and introduces us to this desolate setting.

Boggs, Rains, Murphy and Frank get a little more dialogue before they're offed before the half way mark (well, Frank a bit after).  We already know Boggs and Rains don't like Golic from the theatrical version.  Now we know they don't like him 'cos he smells.  We already know the prisoners have a horn on for Ripley - here's Frank and Murphy to tell us all about it some more.  What revelations!

The beach is nice - but adds nothing.

QuoteThe fact that we even have an AC cut kinda proves how messy and inferior the TC is.

Nonsense.  It's a curio.  Otherwise every film would release a version of their respective Assemblys or Workprints.  The Alien3 Assembly shows why Terry Rawlings had a job.

QuoteAlso, does Fincher even have a preferred cut of the film? ::) Does he even care?

The Workprint is probably the closest to his preferred version.

QuoteThe Assembly Cut adds a lot to the characters.

Whom?

QuoteI thought the scene added to the AC with Ripley and Dillion in his cell discussing the possibility of killing the Alien was crucial for the story. That scene alone explained alot. "So your telling me there coming to take this thing away." "Yeah there gonna try. They don't want to kill it. We got to figure out a way before they come here." "Why do we have to kill it? You just said the company was coming for it?" "Thats right. They want to take it back. Some sort of weapon." "Yeah whats wrong with that?" "They can't control it. They don't understand. It will kill them all." "Like I said, whats wrong with that?" "Nothings wrong with that....except a lot of innocent people will die...I thought you were a religious man?" "You don't understand do you? that world out there doesn't exist for us anymore. We got our own little world out here....it aint much but... its ours." "So f**k everybody else." "No... f**k them."

That scene was utterly redundant.

The TC is far from perfect.  It cut a bit too much.  The AC is the version before they even start cutting (despite the fact they actually cut stuff from it).

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I'd personally miss the beach and some symbolism too much to watch the TC.

FiorinaFury161

I wish Dillon had a single dreadlock in the film like he did in the novel :P

Nowadays I would rather read the novel than watch the film, produces a different yet extremely similar vision in my mind.

The Necronoir

Quote from: SM on Mar 10, 2014, 12:04:56 AM
No, it's a fact.  They can say they like it better, but no one's ever been able to objectively explain how it's a better film.
The concept of a 'better' film is inherently subjective, and you can't ask someone to objectively explain the subjective value of a film. People are saying they prefer certain versions of scenes, alterations to the storyline etc. To me that's all you can really point to.

SM

Okay maybe 'better' is the wrong word.

Say Alien was a standalone film, and then we later got a DC with egg cocoons.  There's something that could actually improve the film because it explains the Aliens motivation - it's not just killing to eat or just cos it can - it kills to reproduce.

There's no equivalent in the Alien3 AC.  It's just longer.

QuoteI'd personally miss the beach and some symbolism too much to watch the TC.

What symbolism?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed