Forget a sequel, let's start again?

Started by Game_Over_Man, Nov 18, 2013, 12:47:39 AM

Author
Forget a sequel, let's start again? (Read 40,235 times)

Game_Over_Man

If Prometheus had been the incredible success we'd all hoped it would be be, the follow up surely would've been in production by now and scheduled for release towards the end of next year.

At present, the prospect of that happening is looking more and more unlikely. Apparently there's a script in development, but if Ridley insists directing this project, realistically we're looking at a 2016 release, by at which point I think, the casual cinema-goer couldn't care less or probably even remember the point of the first movie.

If I were Fox I'd thank Ridley for his efforts, but look towards getting an official Alien prequel / sequel greelit. Stop flirting with "grander concepts" of creation and give us an action/horror/sci-fi to relaunch the franchise. The "is it or isn't it a prequel" PR games of Prometheus backfired - I think I'm not a million miles off when I suggest the audience want: clarity, they want a conclusion, they want terror, they want Sigourney (somehow) involved in the project. Either that or just forget it. Or reboot the franchise completely with a new beast design (which I hope to god doesn't happen).

I think the answer has been staring them in the face for years, but they've taken an unnecessary convoluted route since courting Vincent Ward's Alien 3 concept, when really Eric Red's "spore" script focusing on Hicks, was probably the direction to take (just with a better final draft).

SM

SM

It was successful and they are working on a sequel.

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: SM on Nov 18, 2013, 12:52:44 AM
It was successful and they are working on a sequel.

Have Fox made an official announcement? Ridley can say all he likes, Fassbender um's and ah's, Rapace say's she hopes it happens. Come on, we know there's a cautious approach to the project because the Lindelof effect didn't work, the love-in he had with Ridley hasn't extended beyond the opening of Prometheus, and the critical reception wasn't so assured. It wasn't the classic the world anticipated.

I personally think they should forget it and take another route.

Xenomrph

A gap of 4 years between sequels (2012-2016) isn't exactly a big deal when you consider that there was a 7 year gap between 'Alien' and 'Aliens', a 6 year gap between 'Aliens' and 'Alien3', a 5 year gap between 'Alien3' and 'Alien Resurrection', a 7 year gap between Resurrection and 'AvP', a 4 year gap between 'AvP' and 'AvPR', and a 5 year gap between 'AvPR' and 'Prometheus'.

Tron got a sequel nearly 30 years after the original came out. The Thing got a prequel nearly 30 years after it came out. 'Predator 2' got a sequel 20 years after it came out.

What I'm getting at here is it ain't over until it's over. :)

SM

Game_Over_Man

My point is Ridley cares more about this more than Fox - he's the only one feeding positive vibes about the sequel, possibly to hype that will push Fox into making some decisive announcement on the project. Ridley has a lot to make up for after making Prometheus out to be grander than it actually was. I'm still not convinced he's got the support he needs from Fox to move forward.

SM

SM

How often does a Fox exec pimp an Alien flick?

Most of the time its the cast and key crew members.

And based on the box office and positive reception - Riddles doesn't really have anything to make up for.

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: SM on Nov 18, 2013, 01:43:25 AM

It's not pimping we want - but the greenlight announcement. That comes from the execs.

SM

SM

It was greenlit back in August last year.

Paglen isn't working for free.

Highland

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Nov 18, 2013, 02:04:11 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 18, 2013, 01:43:25 AM

It's not pimping we want - but the greenlight announcement. That comes from the execs.

hat still won't keep the Alien fans happy. It'll be more of the same complaining.

Keep in mind the Alien franchise could re-boot itself outside this movie as well.

Xenomrph

The Alien franchise could reboot itself and be completely perfect (and I mean 100% objectively Platonic Forms "perfect") and Alien fans would still find something to complain about.

PsyKore

I dunno if it's certain fans would complain about absolutely anything made in the future. It's more a case that since A3 all the films have been objectively bad in some way or another and the series has gradually declined more and more. And most recently with Prometheus, a film that everyone was hopeful for, was so close but still so far from being an objectively good film. But if there was a film made down the line with a coherent story and theme, with characters that act like real people and a film that was suspenseful without any bullshit on top of it, I think most people would be happy.

SM

SM

I do not think objectively means what you think it means.

Subjectively speaking.

PsyKore

There's nothing really objectively bad with the first two films, which is why they're classics. There's plenty bad with the rest, which holds them from being better films.

SM

SM

There's plenty of flaws with Alien3 and Resurrection (more in AvP and AvP:Poo) - enough perhaps to make them subjectively bad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed