How Much Damage has this Game Done?

Started by windebieste, Sep 13, 2013, 08:23:03 AM

Author
How Much Damage has this Game Done? (Read 2,675 times)

windebieste

I ask you, how much damage do you think 'ALIENS - Colonial Marines' has done to this franchise, or more accurately, how much confidence do you have of ever seeing a decent ALIENS game ever made?

For me, I still believe such a thing is possible, but certainly not via Gearbox.  They've ruined any chance as far as I am concerned.  I doubt that SEGA or Fox will want to be associated with them, anyway.  The RPG game that was canned some time back is also crossed off of the list so that leaves Creative Assembly as the only current developer working on an announced title in this Universe.

Now, I don't know about you, but after the debacle with A:CM, I'm seriously reticent about dedicating any commitment towards the next game whatsoever.  I'll be waiting for their entry to be released, reviewed and rely on fan generated commentary before I go anywhere near it.  That's coming from a fan who solidly supported A:CM during it's 6 year development period.   This new game MUST be decent, otherwise, I'm not buying it.  I won't go anywhere near it. 

So I'm wondering what you all think about this issue.  Has the shoddy mess that is 'ALIENS - Colonial Marines' changed how you approach the next game in this license? ...or will you purchase it without any reservations whatsoever, anyway?  Has GBX burnt out and undermined any chance that CA has of delivering an item that will be hotly anticipated?  Do you think they been handicapped by this mess and have a long road to travel before they can bolster any confidence in you?

Thanks Guys.  Looking forward to your thoughts on this situation. 

-Windebieste.

Space Voyager

Frankly I don't think there was much damage done to the franchise. Change the developer to one that is not stained, stay very open with the development and you can get back on the horse very quickly.

Look at X-COM... The last games before the new XCOM:EU were Interceptor and Enforcer, hardly what one would call X-COM at all. Yet the fanbase stayed vigilant over 18 years and everybody welcomed XCOM:EU instantly when Firaxis took over.

I don't see ACM having a lasting effect, I see it as a missed opportunity and a clear case of customers being screwed. Aliens is bigger than this.

SM

SM

None.

If people liked the films (any or all) the game's not going to change that.

SiL

SiL

The question was more for damage done to the chances of new games.

To that end, it's probably done the enterprise a disservice, but it's no death knell. There've been plenty of crap A/AvP games before (Hai guise, remember Extinction>?!?!?!) and plenty of good ones. Hopefully the Creative Assembly game pulls through and delivers us a product that makes those turned off by A:CM realise "Hey, maybe it was just that one shit game, and not the property itself."

From memory, the game didn't sell that poorly, did it? So long as it wasn't a financial disaster I don't see the industry being particularly phased.

SM

SM

There'll always be more attempts at Alien games.

Somehow the franchise keeps chugging along despite decades of being rather average.

Maybe stuff like the movie box sets and Prometheus keep it buoyant in spite of comics, games and novels that never really quite hit the mark.

windebieste

I get all that you Guys say.  I understand that the franchise is strong.  I get that publishers are going to knock out crap titles in any nominated long running series.  I'm more concerned about how you will approach the next entry in this series.  I'm just about done with shit ALIEN games.  There's been no discernible reprieve from the less than stellar items here.  The last decent one in my opinion was 'AvP2'.  Since then the bucket has been filled to the brim with rubbish titles. 

For me, 'ALIENS - Colonial Marines' was the big opportunity to buck this trend; and unfortunately, all it did was make things worse.  Creative Assembly have a lot of ground to cover as far as I am concerned.  If this trend continues, then I've purchased my last 'ALIENS' game.   I won't be buying before I see reviews from EVERYWHERE and witness substantial positive fan commentary. 

Basically, my expectations are still high; but CA have to deliver before I commit this time around.

-Windebieste.

SM

SM

I don't think CA have to do that much really.  All they need to do is be better than A:CM.

Personally unless it's the movies themselves I never jump in and buy stuff straight away - if at all.  I only bought A:CM a couple of weeks back 'cos it was $4.99 on Steam.  I bought AvP2010 on 360 a few months back, again 'cos it was cheap.

I won't rush out and buy a new Alien game - but unless it's the worst game ever made, I will buy it eventually.

PsyKore

I'm sort of half answering half musing here, so forgive me. But when I mapped for AvP2 I always dreamed how cool it would be with future gaming tech. I imagined high poly models of everything, full dynamic lighting, real-time shadows, extremely intricate level design without the engine bogging down, etc, etc. At the time, just something simple like the thought of seeing an Alien cast its shadow upon a wall as it stalked you was such a thrilling idea to think about. In that regard AvP2 really felt like a step before something way cooler was supposed to come along. So I was excited for A:CM because it was meant to be that next step - it was meant to be the first Aliens game to properly bring the world to its full realisation, to properly bring it to life. And I was so hopeful of an SDK so I could get back to mapping but with all the modern gaming tech to make the most sexy-looking campaigns... But unfortunately none of it panned out. And even with A:CM's better graphic fidelity the game still sucked. Everything was just a missed opportunity.

I don't know if I care too much about any games coming down the line now, honestly. The possibilities I used to think about aren't there anymore. I'd be surprised if CA could do something half way decent. I dunno, I feel very much indifferent about the gaming side of this franchise now.

Space Voyager

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 13, 2013, 11:31:41 AM
I won't be buying before I see reviews from EVERYWHERE and witness substantial positive fan commentary.
I made this decision long ago. Last time I broke this vow (after a loooong time of faithfulness) was XCOM:EU, you know, to support the franchise and all. I preordered as I hoped it would be both support to the devs and a bit cheaper than what the game would be going for. When the game was 50% off like a month or perhaps two later, I was seriously disappointed. I'm far from being wealthy and I felt a bit cheated.

So. Never. Again.

The only exception I'm willing to make is Kickstarter. A rare exception. Those games will not even see the light of day if they don't receive funding.

Dovahkiin

The game was released seven months ago. No one cares anymore.

TITANOSAUR

I think we just need to be more cautious about future games. wait until the reviews are out BEFORE buying it. and refuse pre-ordering games. as for the franchise, due to its ever populatiry I realy doubt its ever gonna be damaged by one piss poor game.

ShadowPred

Personally, this game has made me lose all confidence on Gearbox.

Space Voyager

Quote from: ShadowPred on Sep 16, 2013, 10:49:02 AM
Personally, this game has made me lose all confidence on Gearbox.
IMO that is the only damage this game has done. Or, Gearbox has done to this game.

Corporal Hicks

Haha. I don't get that luxury. Gotta be one of the ones reviewing the game.  :P

I do have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed with all the mediocrity the franchise has been subjected to recently. I find it really testing.

Arterial Spray

Perhaps the damage can be viewed as good.

Sega have not showed much sign of using their liscences well lately and their imput into both ACM and AVP10 has been pretty much the oppossit of fan desire. The bad publicity might lead to Fox trying the liscence with someone more interested in the innate quallities of the franchise and less interested in making a copy of the latest fassionable game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed