Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 215,579 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 18, 2013, 03:01:24 PM
I like just about any comedian. Almost all of them are atheists.

Yet they make more sense than theists. Go figure.

maledoro

maledoro

Well, stock up on the wisdom from these modern philosophers. You may want to repeat some of it because Blasphemy Day is the 30th.

DC

DC

I view the different factions of religion the same way I view different strains of disease...

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: DC on Sep 18, 2013, 04:10:48 PM
I view the different factions of religion the same way I view different strains of disease...

It has been proven that religion is a type of mental illness, adherents display the same behavior as schizophrenics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBLjVqrrjM

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 18, 2013, 04:00:30 PM
Well, stock up on the wisdom from these modern philosophers. You may want to repeat some of it because Blasphemy Day is the 30th.

Until then, please bask in the gloriness that is the Dredd Day of Action!

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 18, 2013, 05:48:18 PM
Quote from: DC on Sep 18, 2013, 04:10:48 PM

It has been proven that religion is a type of mental illness, adherents display the same behavior as schizophrenics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBLjVqrrjM

Hmmm, I disagree with the video, since it seems to make the assertion that holding illogical beliefs is the same thing as being mentally ill. I used to believe (when I was 12) that aliens existed and that their ships took them through planes of existence so they could travel to Saturn as it exists in a parallel world, where they are close to us in space-time but not vibrating at our universes frequency.

Yes, I was retarded to believe this, but if that made me mentally ill, then I recovered somehow :P I just call it being misinformed and not applying my critical thinking skills.

For religion as a mental illness, however, there are some cases. It has to do with being raised into Religion, the damage can't really happen in adulthood. Basically, the part of your brain that evaluates information stops working, since you shut it down so much as a kid. Just believe X, stop questioning X, we won't love you unless you love X. So whenever X came up, your critical thinking department just powers down.

And yes, this leads to actual brain damage, but I do feel saying 'religious people are mentally ill' is a bit inaccurate (and I say that as an Antitheist). You gotta be indoctrinated from birth, and pretty viciously at that, in order to get that kind of damage.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Mental illness and having faith in a religion are two different things.

Sabby

Sabby

I hope you didn't read my post as saying they weren't.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

No I didn't, but if you said they where then I don't think you know very much about mental illness.

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2013, 05:57:57 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 18, 2013, 04:00:30 PM

Until then, please bask in the gloriness that is the Dredd Day of Action!

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1186305_341759509293853_684107074_n.jpg

I just bought another copy of Dredd a couple of hours ago for this.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 18, 2013, 06:20:32 PM

But they are alike in many ways, namely not being able to tell what's real or not. In a more perfect world, religionists would be sent to a looney bin.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 18, 2013, 08:23:02 PM

But they are alike in many ways, namely not being able to tell what's real or not. In a more perfect world, religionists would be sent to a looney bin.

You can't disprove or prove any religion.
Your "in a more perfect world" comment also leads me to believe you're one of "those" Atheists and you judge people based more on their religious beliefs rather than just being tolerant of it and letting it be.

Sabby

Sabby

That is a very inflammatory wording, but let me ask you this.

What is the difference between God and Fairies?

Both exist in culture and literature, both have people convinced they exist, yet ask either side why they believe in it, and you get they 'just do'. They may bring up arguments, but for the most part if you persist you can strip those arguments away until the person only has "I just believe".

Why is the baseless assertion that God exists more credible then the baseless assertion of Fairies? My answer is that it's not, just one has the advantage of being more culturally prominent. It's a might makes right position that has nothing to do with logic or facts.

Pointing out that you can't disprove God is irrelevant. You can't disprove Fairies either. They turn invisible. Will you accept that belief in Fairies is not illogical because they can't be disproven?

Take any argument in favor of a deity and replace the deities name with 'Fairies'. The argument immediately sounds childish and insane. Think about that.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 18, 2013, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 18, 2013, 08:23:02 PM

You can't disprove or prove any religion.
Your "in a more perfect world" comment also leads me to believe you're one of "those" Atheists and you judge people based more on their religious beliefs rather than just being tolerant of it and letting it be.

Can't help but to agree with you JWP.

I get the idea to question and fight all forms of religious fundamentalism & conservatism, but fighting all religion the same and likening moderate believers' personal faith & beliefs as mental illness sounds in a way just as intolerant as the views and rules of the very same religious authoritarians you're fighting.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 18, 2013, 08:45:26 PM
I get the idea to question and fight all forms of religious fundamentalism & conservatism, but fighting all religion the same and likening moderate believers' personal faith & beliefs as mental illness sounds in a way just as intolerant as the views and rules of the very sane religious authoritarians you're fighting.

Even I agree on this one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed