Author
Theology (Read 215,636 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

;D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on May 06, 2014, 12:42:10 PM
This is a thread for believers.  Why post here if your not? Everyone has a right to their own beliefs and ridiculing someone for what they believe in doesn't make them look bad.

I am a believer, and my faith keeps a peace in my heart that is difficult to explain but it keeps me happy and content.  It's faith that carried me through being a young widow years ago, that brought this wonderful kid from another country into my life, and no amount of ridicule or mean spirited jokes is going to change my views.  Sorry :)

Question for ya Alice. I've been told the Bible is very contradictory to itself, in certain areas. How does one reconcile this as you read it?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

so y'all are believers...

but...

ARE YOU BELIEBERS? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se6BezB1IQo#ws

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 06, 2014, 04:00:59 PM
Wow, where's the tolerance?

Seriously you guys kind of look like bigots. I'm an athiest, and quite an asshole, but just leave the f**kers alone.

Not trying to be a whiteknight fag, just being a whiteknight fag I guess.

Not a lack of tolerance, just saying the only thing that keeps threads going is discussion and if there's no discussion because everyone agrees then the thread dies, if this is always going to happen there's no point in the thread in the first place.

Maybe this will be an exception but I really doubt it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Discussion is fine. But discussion =/= attacking someone else just because you disagree with them.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

I think it's unfair to be called a bigot for explaining why I don't need faith.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Who called you a bigot?

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Mr. Sin on May 06, 2014, 01:35:57 PM
Greetings, as a secularist, I think all the jokes on behalf of fellow atheists lies with the fact that there is an understanding that what makes a person feel good, such as a faith, does not automatically equate to truth. That, and the fact that those of faith insist on being respected give atheists more reason to do the opposite. As it stands Christianity is a hiccup in the annals of human history, so I at least, see it for what it is, which for the time being, is quite an influential phenomenon, but rest assured in time, your faith will be completely overwritten by human intellect. This is not a jab, but a mere statement about all belief systems that require supernatural acceptance.

Enjoy your moment, but do not hope or insist upon respect from those who have no need for faith. There are plenty of ways to find personal solace that don't require faith. They may seem cold, they may seem sad to a person of god, even unfathomable, but that is to be expected. For example, I love my son, he is my world, but I understand that I feel this way as a direct biological imperative to keep him alive to spread my genetic code further. If I didn't love him, love being defined as deep affection and compassion for a person, he would be neglected and thusly, while his survival would not assuredly come to an end, it would have a higher probability of doing so. Just because I know why I am designed to love him does not diminish said affection.

Another  example: I grieve over dead loved ones, but need not think I will ever see them again, just as when I die, I'm aware that I'll never know my wife's kiss, my sons smile, or the warmth of human bonds. Rest assured this fact keeps me up many nights despite genetic evidence on a hereditary level that suggests I will live into my 90s... Be that as it may, my inevitable non existence frightens and saddens me, but I would not be so scared as to diminish the splendor of sentient existence by hoping in afterlife. To me, andyself only, as I speak for nobody, it's a craven thought which diminishes our ability to absorb all the splendor this world has to offer. I will die. I will never exist again, and I'm thankful to have been born with the ability to feel all the emotions I have ever known precisely because I know they will not last.

Faith, for myself, is a fascinating mechanism, and I can appreciate when it comforts a person, I just don't need that comfort because I understand, personally, that humans aren't supposed to feel happy all the time. Sorrow is just as magnificent as joy, especially when I consider the statistical probability that granted my formation.

I hope this message finds ALL people well.

Just because you couch your arrogant post in fluffy language and bury it in huge paragraphs doesn't mean it's not offensive. You flat say you don't respect religious people and that they're basically stupid for believing what they believe.

I was generalizing that this entire forum is a bigoted freak-out reaction to a topic meant to be a discussion among Christians.

Get over yourself. If you didn't want an argument, why spend the time to write such long freaking posts that are basically off-topic? The OP didn't ask you what you thought as an Athiest or some sort of self-declared intellectual superior. He was trying to communicate with other Christians.

For someone that talks so much, the reading comprehension seems quite low.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on May 06, 2014, 04:33:30 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on May 06, 2014, 04:00:59 PM
Wow, where's the tolerance?

Seriously you guys kind of look like bigots. I'm an athiest, and quite an asshole, but just leave the f**kers alone.

Not trying to be a whiteknight fag, just being a whiteknight fag I guess.

Not a lack of tolerance, just saying the only thing that keeps threads going is discussion and if there's no discussion because everyone agrees then the thread dies, if this is always going to happen there's no point in the thread in the first place.

I actually agree, but if someone wants to start a thread with no longevity, that's their prerogative :P It's silly to me as well, but Chronicle wanted a discussion among believers, and the mods have overridden that to allow all members, so I'd like to hear his/her thoughts on that.

Besides, if tempers fly, it'll get diverted to my thread xD

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 06, 2014, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: AliceApocalypse on May 06, 2014, 12:42:10 PM
This is a thread for believers.  Why post here if your not? Everyone has a right to their own beliefs and ridiculing someone for what they believe in doesn't make them look bad.

I am a believer, and my faith keeps a peace in my heart that is difficult to explain but it keeps me happy and content.  It's faith that carried me through being a young widow years ago, that brought this wonderful kid from another country into my life, and no amount of ridicule or mean spirited jokes is going to change my views.  Sorry :)

Question for ya Alice. I've been told the Bible is very contradictory to itself, in certain areas. How does one reconcile this as you read it?

One explanation is that we try to interpret scripture from our current world view, and not as a record from different periods of time from writers who were not in collaboration with one another.  There are many passages inside as a reference for encouragement and peace.

Aspie

Aspie

I always assumed that Christianity was a coping mechanism.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That could be said for any religion.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Chronicle on May 06, 2014, 12:20:50 AM
Whether your Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, Islamic etc. It doesn't matter. I'd like to hear from Believers 
not trolls or non-believers. Whats your opinion on your faith opposed to other religions who also have a highpower within their beliefs?

How do you think God should be worshiped or your higherpower?

why is this thread called christianity if it's for all believers lol wat

Vickers

Vickers

You only need one hand?

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on May 06, 2014, 08:10:06 PM
Quote from: Chronicle on May 06, 2014, 12:20:50 AM
Whether your Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, Islamic etc. It doesn't matter. I'd like to hear from Believers 
not trolls or non-believers. Whats your opinion on your faith opposed to other religions who also have a highpower within their beliefs?

How do you think God should be worshiped or your higherpower?

why is this thread called christianity if it's for all believers lol wat

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed