Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Started by Shasvre, Jul 20, 2013, 05:03:28 PM

Author
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (Read 531,472 times)

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 18, 2014, 05:35:11 PMI like to think of Hercules as more than just a walking mass of muscle. He's a Greek god with a story behind him.
In the Greek mythos, he was pretty much a walking mass of muscle, and very brutish. I remember he crushed his music teacher with a piano (or whatever the ancient Greek equivalent to piano was) just because he told him he wasn't playing well enough.

He had some intelligence and fighting tactics, right, but he wasn't Ulysses or something, or even had a very definite personality, for the case. He was basically the archetypical muscle man. The "walking mass of muscle" is a fair enough portrayal.

KiramidHead

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 18, 2014, 05:35:11 PM
Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 18, 2014, 03:04:44 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 18, 2014, 01:04:33 PM
Quote from: Tangakkai on Jun 17, 2014, 08:46:11 PM
Well too late, he's already playing Hercules, the definiton of a superhero  ;)

And don't be surprised when part of the reason why that film will bomb is because The Rock only looks like Hercules but can't actually play him.

Hm... I don't know Doom... I've never seen him as a bad Actor... for an action star that is of course... I mean if I'm really honest, he's got more acting chops than other comparable action hero-performers. Ah Hell I'll say it: He is definitely a better actor than Arnie ever was.

I don't think it will bomb, the Rock has become huge, not only physically but also as an acting name. Even his first movie, the scorpion king, pulled around 160 million on a budget of 60 million, that's a big success for a startout.

After GI Joe, Fast and Furious and Pain and Gain he's even become a bigger brand. He's more of a box office saviour than a box office obstacle.

I like to think of Hercules as more than just a walking mass of muscle. He's a Greek god with a story behind him.

He has a story... which pretty consists of beating the shit out of everything in sight. :P

Vertigo

Vertigo

Heracles has some cunning to him (which Rock's raised eyebrow should encompass nicely), but the defining personality traits as I remember them are: a tortured soul (the labours are penance for killing his own family during an altered state), and a brutal temper. Basically, he's Wolverine.

Magegg

Magegg

I wonder what's going Marvel Studios to pull out of their sleeves this Comic-Con to counter WB's massive DCCU line-up announcement?

Hope six or seven "Phase 3" movies more confirmed (Cap 3, Thor 3, Ant-Man plus a couple more like Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Avengers 3 and at least one more).

MudButt

MudButt

Omari Hardwick or Derek Luke could be a good GL as well.

KiramidHead

I just want Guy Gardner to show up eventually.

Magegg

Magegg

They can always keep the GL movie in-continuity, by adding John Stewart to the JL roster and probably later explaining he's assigned to protect Earth because Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) is doing important things in the other side of the galaxy. They had a script for Green Lantern 2 based on the Sinestro Corps War; they can follow Hal's adventure in space, probably have support characters like Guy Gardner around.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 18, 2014, 06:12:17 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 18, 2014, 05:35:11 PMI like to think of Hercules as more than just a walking mass of muscle. He's a Greek god with a story behind him.
In the Greek mythos, he was pretty much a walking mass of muscle, and very brutish. I remember he crushed his music teacher with a piano (or whatever the ancient Greek equivalent to piano was) just because he told him he wasn't playing well enough.

He had some intelligence and fighting tactics, right, but he wasn't Ulysses or something, or even had a very definite personality, for the case. He was basically the archetypical muscle man. The "walking mass of muscle" is a fair enough portrayal.

Fair enough. Who knows, ol'Rocky may surprise me yet. I will admit that he has grown much as an actor since he played the Scorpion King.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 18, 2014, 08:05:12 PM
Heracles has some cunning to him (which Rock's raised eyebrow should encompass nicely), but the defining personality traits as I remember them are: a tortured soul (the labours are penance for killing his own family during an altered state), and a brutal temper. Basically, he's Wolverine.

Yeah about half of his labors are solved by him pulling a few tricks or asking for help rather than just brute-forcing them.

The one with the apples of Hesperides is hilarious. I can see the ole' Rock doing a decent job.

KirklandSignature

Trying to figure out why Batman and Superman would be enemies...or is more of a frenemy/rival type relationship?

Russ

Russ

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jun 20, 2014, 04:19:14 PM
Trying to figure out why Batman and Superman would be enemies...or is more of a frenemy/rival type relationship?

That's a good question and indicative of why this film is such a great idea. Nerdy types tend to forget that not everyone has "in depth" knowledge of the DC universe and why these two characters should be at cross purposes.

Brief answer - their approaches are totally different. Batman's a vigilante, Superman fights for truth and justice (so he won't break your fingers to make you talk, let's say). Also, Batman's a little bit paranoid and views Superman with a good deal of suspicion. In one story line he has made plans to take down all of the Justice League in case any went rogue. And Superman gave him a lump of Kryptonite in case he went rogue - which illustrates the "vs" point quite nicely. Batman has plans to take down his allies - Superman gives his allies the means to take him down.

Ghostface

Just watch or read The Dark Knight Returns P2 to see them go at it. Does seem that this film will lift quite a few elements from it.

Tangakkai

Superman beholds untold and unrivaled power, power that can be easily misused.

Batman is the check and balances of justice, Superman to him is a potential threat, an alien lifeforce that has already destroyed half a city. Clearly our world is not fit for a being of that calibre.

Batman being of sceptical nature, will engage superman, probably fight him at least 1 or 2 times in the movie. He believes the world is not safe as long as an unpredictable being like superman can roam freely through the world. There has to be someone to keep an eye on him, who better than the unbiased and analytical batman.

I should add that this is fairly common ground for many batman comics, where he interacts with Superman or other members in the justice league (most of them also being superhuman beings).
In many, if not most incarnations of Batman in a DC shared universe, Batman never considers himself as part of the JL, he is just there to help the world and as long as the JL is on the same side as he is, he fights with them. So the whole "VS" concept between batman and superman is totally normal.

Magegg

Magegg

It's more like a gay relationship.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed