DC Cinematic Universe

Started by Xenokiller, Jun 14, 2013, 12:43:39 AM

Author
DC Cinematic Universe (Read 121,496 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

I don't get people saying BvS failed just because it didn't make a billion dollars on its theatrical run (dvd/bluray sales would have pushed it above a billion anyway).  It still made a shitload of money and is one of the most successful superhero movies of all time (ranking 12, according to box office mojo).  And all this despite negative feedback.  That is hardly a failure, no matter how you cut it.

genocyber

genocyber

Batman and Robin was successful. It made 238.2 million dollars over its 125 million dollar budget.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: genocyber on Feb 20, 2017, 01:00:31 AM
Batman and Robin was successful. It made 238.2 million dollars over its 125 million dollar budget.

Yes it was, and I think people forget that as well.

genocyber

genocyber

Thus my point is financial success does not equate to studio expectations success.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: genocyber on Feb 20, 2017, 02:51:59 AM
Thus my point is financial success does not equate to studio expectations success.

Apples and oranges.  BvS outgrossed its predecessor.  Batman and Robin did not.

genocyber

genocyber

Except Batman v Superman was an ensemble piece, so its hard to compare it to the success of Man of Steel. That would be like saying Ant Man didn't make as much money as Avengers did so it failed. It practically was a mini Justice League movie with the inclusion of Wonder Woman and The Flash for that brief moment. Now if we had a Man of Steel 2 and it didn't make more money as the first then it would be considered a proper flop.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: genocyber on Feb 20, 2017, 03:05:39 AM
Except Batman v Superman was an ensemble piece, so its hard to compare it to the success of Man of Steel. That would be like saying Ant Man didn't make as much money as Avengers did so it failed. It practically was a mini Justice League movie with the inclusion of Wonder Woman and The Flash for that brief moment. Now if we had a Man of Steel 2 and it didn't make more money as the first then it would be considered a proper flop.

That's what's confusing about these shared universe films.  If BvS is supposed to be Justice League Part 1 then you can't compare it to the other Batman films, because it's not a Batman film.  Batman and Robin is a Batman film, and sequel to Batman Forever.  I count BvS as a sequel to Man of Steel but I can understand how it might not be viewed that way.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

A genuine hit is a film that does well both financially and is backed up critically. BvS was a financial hit, maybe not as big as WB had hoped, SS was a big hit. I still think Batman v Superman didn't deserve the pounding it took from reviewers, it was just the wrong film at the wrong time (critics were waiting for a comic book filmed to attempt to step over the edge to greatness, just so they could slam it). Suicide Squad is a terrible film, an example in how to destroy a film in post production.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Suicide Squad isn't perfect, but it's not terrible.  Both BvS and SS did a lot to advance the superhero genre. 

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Suicide Squad was enjoyable the first time, it just gets worse with each viewing.

I doubt we'll ever see another comic book film like BvS. Unless WB stick to their guns and keep true to their vision for the series.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

http://movieweb.com/the-batman-director-producer-matt-reeves-confirmed/

It is official, Matt Reeves is directing the new Batman movie, despite all the rumors you heard  ::)

genocyber

genocyber

WB must have prostrated before him to save this project.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 20, 2017, 05:51:19 AM
Suicide Squad was enjoyable the first time, it just gets worse with each viewing.

I just watched it this morning and the 'street' dialogue annoyed me, yes.

Quote from: Tangakkai on Feb 23, 2017, 09:11:36 PM
http://movieweb.com/the-batman-director-producer-matt-reeves-confirmed/

It is official, Matt Reeves is directing the new Batman movie, despite all the rumors you heard  ::)

Good director, I liked Cloverfield not Let Me In though but only because it's a remake of a much better movie.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

For me it was the latest ape movie that propelled him to the higher talents of hollywood blockbuster territory.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I would have liked Dawn a lot more if the humans sans Gary Oldman had been more than just one note carictures. But Reeves has the goddamn Batman to work with here, so I doubt that will be a problem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed