DC Cinematic Universe

Started by Xenokiller, Jun 14, 2013, 12:43:39 AM

Author
DC Cinematic Universe (Read 121,490 times)

Magegg

Magegg

It's a terrible logo, the previous one was better.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Magegg on May 17, 2016, 05:51:22 PM
It's a terrible logo, the previous one was better.

Anything is better than the toilet seat with a tin foil lid.

Magegg

Magegg

I prefer 2005 logo, even if it look like from a detergent package.

genocyber

genocyber

Round-up of recent leaks and rumors for Justice League.

Quote>30,000 years ago, an alliance between Man, the Atlanteans and the Amazons repelled Darkseid's invasion on Earth, and Darkseid's secret weapon, the Mother Boxes, were left behind and divided among the three races.

>Themyscira and Atlantis entered a centuries-long feud that led both to abandon the human race.

>Black Canary was the leader of the human alliance.

>On present day, Batman is attempting to recruit meta-humans to defend Earth in the wake of Superman's death. He and Wonder Woman approach Aquaman, but he declines due to his grievances with both the Amazons and the humans.

>The Flash and Cyborg join Batman's team, and become friends as they're both rookies struggling to control their powers, and the youngest members of the team.

>Lex Luthor's experiments with the Kryptonian scout ship have provided a map to Earth. Steppenwolf then attacks the planet with a horde of parademons to retrieve the Mother Boxes so Apokolips can continue its efforts to subjugate the Universe.

>The Mother Boxes are scattered on Themyscira, Atlantis and with the United States government, and the Justice League races against time to retrieve them before Steppenwolf. Aquaman begrudgingly joins their efforts.

>Cyborg is instrumental to repelling Steppenwolf's offensive as he was rebuilt with Apokoliptian technology from the Mother Box.

>Meanwhile, Superman begins his journey to return to life.

>Darkseid only appears in the prologue and the epilogue.

>The post-apocalyptic future in Batman's visions will be revisited.

>Lois Lane, Perry White, Alfred Pennyworth, Commissioner James Gordon, Iris West, Mera and Silas Stone have minor roles.

>Willem Dafoe is playing an Atlantean elder privy to the secrets of Darkseid's attack.

Magegg

Magegg

I want to see the movie.

ace3g

genocyber

genocyber

Its always been "The Batman Universe: Guest starring some other guys".

WB has no idea how to make any DC property work unless it has pointy ears.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

I don't think that's their problem. I think the real problem is that nobody at WB knows what a good script looks like (just listen to Mike Smith's rant about John Peters). Sure... sometimes you have a innovative guy like Nolan who makes things work... but they don't understand WHY it worked... all they know is IT worked... so let's make more of them gritty movies.  ::) However I will say that imo they nailed the character of Superman. I know many fans will not agree. But for me, it definitely made him more relevant and closer to the comic book version (52 era).

Russ

Russ

QuoteBut for me, it definitely made him more relevant and closer to the comic book version (52 era).

Spot on. This guy isn't the Christopher Reeves guy. He's not the John Byrne guy. I think a lot of the criticism leveled at MoS (and DoJ) was from movie-core fans and casual readers of event comics. And there's nothing wrong with that, by the way - I don't read comics regularly, but I made a point of following the New 52 for about a year or so to see what all the kerfuffle was about.

Both MoS and DoJ are divisive movies. Some would say they're shit movies - especially DoJ. I can honestly see both sides of the argument - I loved both films and I've seen them multiple times, whereas (because the Marvel comparison is always made), I watch Avengers or Iron Man once and forget about them. They're good but they're not particularly thought provoking and don't invite debate - they are what they say on the tin - fun, entertaining movies.

Snyder and Co, I think, are guilty of too much fan service. People on this forum have - for years - picked over the bones of various aspects of A/P movies... its pretty clear to me that Snyder (whatever you think of his talents) knows his source material.

So for massive fans of the DCU, there's a tonne of stuff in these films to tweak your nerdy buttons. The motherbox, the Flashpoint references, the Omega... all these things have been mentioned here. Fans get it.

But that doesn't necessarily make for a good experience for everyone else who found it confusing and / or dull.

I read a lot that "Snyder doesn't understand the character of Superman." This is unfair - I think he totally understands the character of this generation's Superman. But its not the character that some people seem to want. Conversely, Bryan Singer served up the character that we all knew and loved, but he was labelled boring and a creepy stalker and that Singer payed too much reverence to Richard Donner's take.

What is very clear is that WB haven't been able to nail the universal success of Disney in bringing these characters to the big screen. But as I say, Disney movies very safe movies that follow the Blake Snyder formula to a T. And that formula works like a charm - every time.

It's interesting to me that in the fallout over BvS there were millions upon millions of words written about it. My Facebook feed was cracking under the weight of commentary - for and against. With Civil War - its come, its made loads of money, and it'll go. But no one's really talking about it. Cos there's nothing really to talk about. It delivered. End of story. Which is what Disney does - but I don't think the MCU films are particularly thought provoking or interesting.

The DC ones are - or at least seem to be, given the amount of column inches (or whatever the internet equivalent is) they've generated.

Warners gave Snyder the job of creating the strategy and the tactical delivery - its pretty clear given the appointment of Geoff Johns and the other chap who's name escapes me that they have baulked. Snyder has had two strikes and not really delivered fiscally even if he has served up two nerdily fancore pleasing movies.

But as I say, its not fair to level the not understanding the source material crime at his door - he evidently does.

I don't have a case to defend on DoJ - I loved it but I see why many didn't.  But even for me, it could have been better... and that is a bit of a crime in a Superman vs Batman movie... and the Martha bit was bad. Really bad - even if it does show that Snyder knows his DC lore. Should have just said "his mother" - it would have had the same humanising effect.

Ultimately, though, I don't think Warners will quit on the DCEU. I think all these films will make money, which is the name of game.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Russ on May 20, 2016, 09:18:09 AMUltimately, though, I don't think Warners will quit on the DCEU. I think all these films will make money, which is the name of game.
Two films and one was a mild box office hit, the second a straight up disappointment. If people's not feeling the DCEU then I guess yes, they're going to quit it or drastically undersize it. They could keep doing standalone DC films, anyway, if this continuity didn't click with the audience.

Russ

Russ

I think Wonder Woman will be the yardstick - Suicide Squad was for me a really strange pick... I can't work it out at all, but who knows, maybe it'll be a smash.

I guess you could be right, though... but it'd be hard to climb down from Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg now that they've been introduced... but if SS and WW bomb then... yes.

But I don't think they will bomb - I think Wonder Woman will be a real hit. Gadot was one of the few things everyone agreed on in the BvS movie. OK, she didn't have a lot to do, but what she DID do was awesome.

And she had an excellent theme tune too :-)

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad are the two most important film for the DCEU. They're the first films to not be directed by Snyder so it'll be our first chance to the what this universe is.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 20, 2016, 03:43:00 PM
Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad are the two most important film for the DCEU. They're the first films to not be directed by Snyder so it'll be our first chance to the what this universe is.
WB producers actually went to say they want a "multiverse approach" in the sense every director's going to do the kind of film they want, so the tone will be different for every movie. People will never know "what this universe is" because every movie is going to be completely different.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Magegg on May 21, 2016, 02:15:46 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on May 20, 2016, 03:43:00 PM
WB producers actually went to say they want a "multiverse approach" in the sense every director's going to do the kind of film they want, so the tone will be different for every movie. People will never know "what this universe is" because every movie is going to be completely different.

Even so, all the films will be taking place in the same universe. They will most likely all lead to the same story point. Who's to say it won't work until we've seen the next couple of movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed