Popular things you don't get

Started by Ratchetcomand, Apr 18, 2013, 08:41:55 PM

Author
Popular things you don't get (Read 73,942 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

DoomRulz, future (already present?) member of the Men's Rights Movement. You tell them stupid feminists!

Edit: I was being facetious, but then I actually read the preceding page in full. Wow...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2013, 05:15:32 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 04:56:55 AM
Our patriarchal system and society. I find that funny.

Just so we're clear here. We're talking about the same society where women are educated, have access to health care, get any job they want (if she wants to work at all), drive a car, be in the same room as a man, make whatever decision she wants in regards to her physical health, and run for political office? In effect, do whatever a man can do, according to what feminists say is reserved exclusively for men? That patriarchal system and society?

I never said that things haven't gotten better for women (much thanks to the feminist movement and the other movements feminism has been a part of), but our system and society is still patriarchal at its core. Traditional womens jobs and activities are looked down upon and valued less. Women are generally still treated as less important than men. We're still arguing abortion in the U.S. and women DO generally get payed less for the same job as men.

QuoteIf we really lived in this oppressive world where men run everything and keep women under their thumb like feminists claim, a woman wouldn't be allowed to leave the house without asking for permission first. Why would men allow women to do the same things men do if that's somehow a bad thing?

You're still battling the talking-points of the vocal extremist 'feminist' minority groups out there. Any mainstream feminist is well aware that things are getting better and better for women but also that there is still a lot of work to be done.

QuoteThen, really, if we're discussing the same thing, then we should drop feminism and MRM altogether and call it humanism. Sounds pretty equal to me.

Feminism (and "MRM") is obviously a part of humanistic ideas and ideals. Sub-categories so to speak. It's not uncommon to talk about racism, sexism, homophobia, religious discrimination etc. at the same time. It's all about equality and human rights.

You've made good counter-points and I thank you for keeping it civil. You're certainly more educated and intelligent than the fools I run into on Facebook. With your final point then, I say we leave it at that :)

Terx2

Terx2

I'm surprised by this feminist argument I thought I clicked on the wrong topic :D Good points to both sides.

Anyway I don't get Halo. Yeah I've played the games, read a few books and watch Halo legends. But I don't feel drawn into it as other sci-fi material.
Spoiler
Ok now you can throw your rocks at me ;D
[close]

SM

SM

QuoteGood points to both sides.

Eh?

QuoteAnyway I don't get Halo. Yeah I've played the games, read a few books and watch Halo legends. But I don't feel drawn into it as other sci-fi material.

You seem to have devoted a decent amount of time to something you're not overly into.

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2013, 05:49:28 AM
QuoteGood points to both sides.

Eh?

QuoteAnyway I don't get Halo. Yeah I've played the games, read a few books and watch Halo legends. But I don't feel drawn into it as other sci-fi material.

You seem to have devoted a decent amount of time to something you're not overly into.

Yeah that both good points was a lie I just didn't know how to say "stop arguing I'm sick of it" nicely. Also my friends gave me the games and such. They said I'd be into it if I dedicated time to it. What a lie.

SM

SM

QuoteYeah that both good points was a lie I just didn't know how to say "stop arguing I'm sick of it" nicely.

:D

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 05:21:22 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2013, 05:15:32 AM

Just so we're clear here. We're talking about the same society where women are educated, have access to health care, get any job they want (if she wants to work at all), drive a car, be in the same room as a man, make whatever decision she wants in regards to her physical health, and run for political office? In effect, do whatever a man can do, according to what feminists say is reserved exclusively for men? That patriarchal system and society?

I never said that things haven't gotten better for women (much thanks to the feminist movement and the other movements feminism has been a part of), but our system and society is still patriarchal at its core. Traditional womens jobs and activities are looked down upon and valued less. Women are generally still treated as less important than men. We're still arguing abortion in the U.S. and women DO generally get payed less for the same job as men.

QuoteIf we really lived in this oppressive world where men run everything and keep women under their thumb like feminists claim, a woman wouldn't be allowed to leave the house without asking for permission first. Why would men allow women to do the same things men do if that's somehow a bad thing?

You're still battling the talking-points of the vocal extremist 'feminist' minority groups out there. Any mainstream feminist is well aware that things are getting better and better for women but also that there is still a lot of work to be done.

QuoteThen, really, if we're discussing the same thing, then we should drop feminism and MRM altogether and call it humanism. Sounds pretty equal to me.

Feminism (and "MRM") is obviously a part of humanistic ideas and ideals. Sub-categories so to speak. It's not uncommon to talk about racism, sexism, homophobia, religious discrimination etc. at the same time. It's all about equality and human rights.

You've made good counter-points and I thank you for keeping it civil. You're certainly more educated and intelligent than the fools I run into on Facebook. With your final point then, I say we leave it at that :)

Really, really don't want to spark this back up, but I was specifically going to mention Humanism to you, DoomRulz. I suggest you do a bit of research on the subject.

As for "feminazis" and the MRM: Ignore both. Both are effectively hate-groups acting under the guise of equality, and don't deserve the time of day from you.

Anyway, yeah, that Halo, huh? I never got into it either.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I eventually liked Halo.  After starting playing Halo Combat Evolved for the original xbox I thought it was too cutesy and I didn't like its style.  Got Reach and liked it but I've always been more for the depressive tone so didn't get any others for awhile because I knew chronologically that Reach was first and kind of worked as a standalone..  Then got the anniversary edition of Combat Evolved and played through it.  Ended up liking it lots.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 03:20:24 AM
If you honestly believe the MRM is a joke, then you know nothing about it. Men do in fact face systemic problems in society that need to be addressed such as high education drop out rates, higher rates of suicide, having divorce laws stacked against them, and the MRM also works to debunk stereotypes surrounding men such as the idea of the disposable male.

We should never stop fighting for equality. Society cannot function properly without it; that's obvious. But when feminism has created a society in which a woman can falsely accuse a man of rape and get away with it but a man can't crack a sexual joke around a woman out of fear of "sexual harassment", there's a serious problem. That isn't the MRM's fault.

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2013, 04:44:41 AM
our patriarchal system and society

If we really lived in this oppressive world where men run everything and keep women under their thumb like feminists claim, a
woman wouldn't be allowed to leave the house without asking for permission first. Why would men allow women to do the same things men do if that's somehow a bad thing?

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2013, 04:44:41 AM
To say that feminists don't discuss these things shows that you're only focusing on what the 'feminist' extremists are saying and doing.

Then, really, if we're discussing the same thing, then we should drop feminism and MRM altogether and call it humanism. Sounds pretty equal to me.

Gate

Gate

So how 'bout that Homestuck

[cancerblack]

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Quote from: Gate on Jun 25, 2013, 12:36:22 AM
So how 'bout that Homestuck
Its boring.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I don't the get the internet's obsession with cat pictures. Cats can be cute sure but the related memes are all over the place.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Aspie on Jun 25, 2013, 12:22:16 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 25, 2013, 06:13:40 AM
I don't the get the internet's obsession with cat pictures. Cats can be cute sure but the related memes are all over the place.

Someone's bitter.

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 25, 2013, 06:13:40 AM

It's no longer cats. It's now SLOTHS!!! ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed