Guess the review score

Started by spacemarine, Jan 25, 2013, 12:28:20 PM

Author
Guess the review score (Read 13,002 times)

Gren_86

Gren_86

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jan 26, 2013, 10:48:33 AM
Quote from: Gren_86 on Jan 26, 2013, 09:41:28 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 25, 2013, 02:57:38 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Jan 25, 2013, 02:24:36 PM
I think this is going to cause it major hurt.

I honestly do, too. Forces it to be a conventional shooter. I know this cost it a sale with me... Got no interest in yet another game where you shoot things with a rifle. Been there, done that. Needs something more.
Aren't you guys overlooking a major component, like multiplayer ???
But I do agree that it shouldn't be another generic shooter for both SP and MP.
My prediction is also 7.5

No, MP is part and parcel of every shooter nowadays. Just because one is fang and claws doesn't make it any different really. While if they had a SP mode for the alien it automatically makes it more unique. In particular if they had done it with any kind of AI intelligence at all, unlike AvP3.
I disagree, simply because there aren't many games which allow you to have such a unique and asymmetrical experience. Not to mention that no AI can outperform a human player, therefore every time you play online its a different experience, no SP can top this, no matter how unscripted the events are. What's the longevity of the SP, 8, 10 hrs and then what? After the fourth replay at best you'll be done with the game.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Gren_86 on Jan 26, 2013, 01:37:07 PM
I disagree, simply because there aren't many games which allow you to have such a unique and asymmetrical experience. Not to mention that no AI can outperform a human player, therefore every time you play online its a different experience, no SP can offer this. What's the longevity of the SP, 8, 10 hrs and then what? After the fourth replay at best you'll be done with the game.

I... am not even sure we're talking about the same thing at this point lol.

I'll reiterate.

I think they dropped the ball on the SP with no alien campaign. However that said they might add it in an expansion which would be amazing.

Regardless of longevity, no matter which way anyone cuts it, having an alien campaign adds longevity to the game and also could have added new models and skins for the aliens you could only get from playing SP Alien mode. Again, for simplistic sake it adds to the game in longevity and uniqueness.

My AI comment was aimed at how horrendously bad the AI was in AvP3. It was some of the worst junk I had ever seen.

Either or not having an Aliens campaign automatically categorizes it with other (somewhat) generic FPS games that instantly weakens the game comparatively.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jan 26, 2013, 01:43:55 PM
Quote from: Gren_86 on Jan 26, 2013, 01:37:07 PM
I disagree, simply because there aren't many games which allow you to have such a unique and asymmetrical experience. Not to mention that no AI can outperform a human player, therefore every time you play online its a different experience, no SP can offer this. What's the longevity of the SP, 8, 10 hrs and then what? After the fourth replay at best you'll be done with the game.

I... am not even sure we're talking about the same thing at this point lol.

I'll reiterate.

I think they dropped the ball on the SP with no alien campaign. However that said they might add it in an expansion which would be amazing.

Regardless of longevity, no matter which way anyone cuts it, having an alien campaign adds longevity to the game and also could have added new models and skins for the aliens you could only get from playing SP Alien mode. Again, for simplistic sake it adds to the game in longevity and uniqueness.

My AI comment was aimed at how horrendously bad the AI was in AvP3. It was some of the worst junk I had ever seen.

Either or not having an Aliens campaign automatically categorizes it with other (somewhat) generic FPS games that instantly weakens the game comparatively.

Would you play a singleplayer alien campaign DLC if it were in third person like in competitive multiplayer?

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Yes.

SPECIAL FORCES

SPECIAL FORCES

I'm afraid that compared to most of the big fps names ACM will be mediocre.
Our love for the Alien universe makes it a good game for us.I don't see anything special or innovative that will make it antagonize the other current good fps.
Like the first AvP.Not as good graphics as the current fps of that era,the story was none existent...it was like 5 maps without a link to each other.The 3 species sp campaigns was what made it such an epic game.They could include an Alien sp campaign at least.Except if the marine campaign is so good that none will care for an alien campaign later  ;D

7 out of 10 is my guess.....i hope for an 8!

Razz

Razz

I'll throw in a 7.5-8-10 type of mark aswell.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Gren_86 on Jan 26, 2013, 09:41:28 AM
Aren't you guys overlooking a major component, like multiplayer ???

No, I'm aware of that, but single-player and multi-player are completely different experiences. One is atmospheric, with specific quests generated ahead of time. Some, even on a puzzle-basis. Something which is meant to put you in the role of the character. Multi-player, on the other hand, tends to a case of spawning somewhere, everyone going, "LOL" and then rushing off blindly in all directions and doing whatever they want.

And that makes it messy and feel like you're sharing the experience with a bunch of drug junkies on a sugar high, not with a competent squad of fellow soldiers who know how to handle individual combat tactics like the team they are.

Sometimes, you might, on very rare occasions, find people who bother to co-operate, but even on titles like 'Battlefield 3', which uses mechanics specifically designed to urge you to co-ordinate efforts together, hardly anyone bothers to.

Which, honestly, is fine if you're just doing it for a laugh and want to die in the first thirty seconds. And, believe me, most of the time, I run into nothing but Leeroy Jenkins clones, even in stuff like 'Mass Effect 3', where you're forced into a team mentality. Guys who you can hear over the speakers are laughing their heads off because they managed to blow up not only themselves, but everyone else, as if it's some kind of challenge they need to do.

To me, that's no fun. I want the experience to be immersive - and that goes triple when you're meant to be an Alien. Watching people gallop around like a group of insect-donkeys on acid? No, thank you. That's not what Aliens are meant to do.

Even weirder is how that mentality seems to infect everyone else who plays the damned thing... The times I've got kicked from an AVP 2010 game, just because I refuse to run head-first into a group of Marines with smart guns and grenade launchers and, instead, do what an Alien would do; stealthily creep around to out-flank them or lure them in with motion tracker returns to make them investigate, one by one... That got me kicked, all because I don't feel an impulsive need to leap around like a butterfly on crack and let them get their kicks by sh00t1ng d4 al13nz.

Besides which, there are certain mechanics which can't be put in multiplayer. For instance, there was a cheat called 'John Woo Mode' on the 1999 AVP titles, which meant that, as an Alien, whenever you were near to danger, even if you couldn't see it, it phased quickly down into slow-motion (the reason why it pisses me off when people claim 'Max Payne' was the first to do bullet-time, when it wasn't). Sure, it was a cheat, but it had the bizarre effect of letting you play in the Alien's mentality a lot easier; you could see where the sentry guns were firing from and time your leaps across the corridor and up to the ceiling in ways you just can't when you've got human reflexes and perception. By the time you got rid of the threat, you realised that the way you managed to strike and avoid getting hit was exactly like the things do on screen!

I'm not saying threat-based slow-motion should be implemented, of course (although, as I say, it worked out superbly for the Alien). Just that it's an example of something you physically can't put in multi-player environments (if for no other reason than it would alert Marine players that an Alien's near them, whenever their own screen slowed down like treacle). There are almost certainly quite a number of others, too.

Third-person is actually something I think would suit things like Aliens and Predators a lot more than Marines. I've said before that I think any third AVP title would benefit from switching to a form of 'Arkham City' mechanic, where you get to see your character doing all those acrobatic kill-moves (and this, in itself, could be toggled on and off as a gameplay option).

QuoteBut I do agree that it shouldn't be another generic shooter for both SP and MP.

I agree. I hope it's not, because it would be nice to have a properly atmospheric 'Alien'-themed game out there. I'm just saying that, by painting itself into the corner of restricting the player into being purely a human being with a gun, it's forcing itself to go up against the giants of that genre. The likes of the COD titles don't have anything which could compete with a single-player Alien campaign and that would be a huge selling point.

Not that this will affect the the reviews, of course. But I do think that it will affect sales - and, therefore, chances of sequels. Especially with non-fans. It needs to appeal to them or it's not going to get the numbers to be the huge success it wants to.

If someone who's not a fan of 'Aliens' picks it up to review and it doesn't appeal to them? If it's just a 'Doom' clone with smart guns and dropships? It'll get average scores.

As I say, I hope it's more than that. It's just that this could be avoided if they'd tried to give it the one thing those other titles could not compete against.

PFC Hudson

PFC Hudson

I'm hoping for an 8, and I think they'll get it if the story is done well.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

beb

beb

In the next week or two reviews on the run will review aliens colonial marines. They get copies before release and usually review before hand. I think they will give a generous score of 7.0   7.5 

Gren_86

Gren_86

Quote from: Predaker on Jan 26, 2013, 03:53:50 PM
Would you play a singleplayer alien campaign DLC if it were in third person like in competitive multiplayer?
If game play doesn't suffer from third person perspective, I'll gladly pay extra to for a genuine xeno experience in SP.

Enenra

Enenra

Quote from: beb on Jan 27, 2013, 01:13:58 AM
In the next week or two reviews on the run will review aliens colonial marines. They get copies before release and usually review before hand. I think they will give a generous score of 7.0   7.5
Try not to be so optimistic ;)

I just want an 8. A freakin' 8 is all I ask.

Predaker

Predaker

I would love some alien campaign DLC. The objective being to successfully establish a hive on LV-426, or possibly the Sulaco. Sabotage and stealth. Fear and panick.

They did say there are multiple hives on LV-426.

Gren_86

Gren_86

Xenomorphine, thank you for you broad analysis! My response will be brief though. Indubitably SP and MP are completely different genres and yes, there are a lot of Leroy Jenkinses roaming the servers who have chickens for no apparent reason. ;) However, the crucial crowd gatherer will always remain the MP counterpart. Its called competitive multiplayer for a reason. It's in our human nature and culture to compete with each other as part of our entertainment. Besides a xeno campaign would require whole new level design+a shit load of other content which would stretch the development process and thereby cost them a great deal of cash. Sega wouldn't dream of giving GBX such a budget, considering Rebellions failed attempt.
Most importantly when you play from a xeno perspective, there is a deficit of horror and suspense because you practically are the source material for those feelings.     

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

There was a commercial for this during the UFC event last night. Was kinda cool to see.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed