In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,418,442 times)

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Jan 16, 2014, 07:48:27 PM
Replacing organs isn't good enough. We need to create genetic immortality fortified by nano bots, and the ability to preserve and digitize brains. The rich and those proven useful are going to form a technocracy sooner or later, probably long before it's feasible for off world populations. No one wants to admit it, but ballooning population could easily undo us all.
_____

Would you still consider yourself human after a digitized transformation? 

Personally I would prefer to really eat a meal or smell a flower, even cry now and then.  To stay human. Our time is precious because it is so short, if it were long almost indefinite we would lose our appreciation for life. 

First Blood

First Blood

Sounds like Transcendence.

*intentional movie plug*

Rong

Rong

Quote from: First Blood on Jan 16, 2014, 10:20:08 PM
Sounds like Transcendence.

*intentional movie plug*

its pretty much the story..

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jan 16, 2014, 10:15:11 PM
Would you still consider yourself human after a digitized transformation? 

Personally I would prefer to really eat a meal or smell a flower, even cry now and then.  To stay human. Our time is precious because it is so short, if it were long almost indefinite we would lose our appreciation for life.
I'm barely human as it is since a head injury altered my personality and emotions, and my sense of smell/taste has almost no significance to me.

One thing about a digital brain is that it would be very hard to get it to develop and change with normal capacity and as an organic one would. No, it would have to be something other than human, and I'm ok surrendering that. I think a hybrid is a better option though, even if the change is slow and subtle.

Rong

Rong

you'll be dead before they work out how to digitise a brain, i sincerely think it will be long time off before that happens

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Rong on Jan 16, 2014, 10:24:49 PM
you'll be dead before they work out how to digitise a brain, i sincerely think it will be long time off before that happens

I don't know...technology snowballs and feeds off itself. I think it's just more likely it won't be available to us in our lifetime. 

Rong

Rong

Possibly, i think many simplify how complex the brain is, i agree about the convergence of tech, quantum computing / systems will probably go a long way to working it out, apparently they discovered that quantum mechanics helps govern photosynthesis in plants, one could assume that alot of natural systems including the brain use similar principles

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-plants-use-quantum-physics-boost-photosynthesis-6C10477922

SM

SM

QuotePersonally I don't want to look like Skeletor just to stick around for an extra day, nor do I want to be a burden on the next generation.

But you could do this IRL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvNFiAVl-b0#

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Rong on Jan 16, 2014, 10:41:44 PM
Possibly, i think many simplify how complex the brain is
That's why I'm strongly against psychiatry. Dehumanizing labels everywhere. Sheeple voluntarily allowing themselves to be chemically lobotomized. Disgusting that antipsychotics are prescribed for insomnia sometimes.

My personal beef is that they spilled first blood.

SM

SM

It's over, Johnny.

Rong

Rong

NOTHING IS OVER!!! NOTHING!!!

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Jan 16, 2014, 10:21:38 PM
I'm barely human as it is since a head injury altered my personality and emotions, and my sense of smell/taste has almost no significance to me.

One thing about a digital brain is that it would be very hard to get it to develop and change with normal capacity and as an organic one would. No, it would have to be something other than human, and I'm ok surrendering that. I think a hybrid is a better option though, even if the change is slow and subtle.
First part's shitty luck (sorry BTW, must really stink  :(), second part's a shitty idea.

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Jan 17, 2014, 12:00:58 AM
Quote from: Rong on Jan 16, 2014, 10:41:44 PM
Possibly, i think many simplify how complex the brain is
That's why I'm strongly against psychiatry. Dehumanizing labels everywhere. Sheeple voluntarily allowing themselves to be chemically lobotomized. Disgusting that antipsychotics are prescribed for insomnia sometimes.
I...what?  ???

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Well, not sure how much the head injury changed me. My frontal lobe got smacked around pretty good, and  I'm going to consult a neurooligist for an MRI. You're right. I'd rather become more than human than lose my humanity entirely--rather bury it knowing it's still there than cut it out entirely.

Quote from: BANE on Jan 17, 2014, 12:53:32 AM
I...what?  ???
people hear bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline, etc and jump to conclusions--dehumanized and made into a clinical definition rather than person.

antipsychotics lower brain activity and are known to cause feelings of soullessness, can lead to irreversible nerve damage that cause uncontrollable spasms, yet are prescribed for mundane things like insomnia and depression, in addition to the severely ill where it might actually be the best option. neuroleptic candy, sandy.

Quote from: SM on Jan 17, 2014, 12:09:09 AM

It's over, Johnny.

We were in this room in a psych ward and this kid comes up, this kid staring at a dirty sock in the corner. And I said not to touch it, I pleaded with him not to touch it! He said he wouldn't. And I went to get a couple of towels because even I didn't want to touch it. The sock was full, and well he picked up the sock. f**ing jizz flew all over the place. And he's laying there, he's f**king screaming. There's globs of it all over him...

and I'm trying to wipe it off of him, you know, some other patient's jizz that's all over him. I've got my own issues and I'm trying to hold him together! I'm wipin'...he kept shaking and it kept coming out! And nobody would help! Nobody would help!!! He's saying, sayin' "I wanna go home! I wanna go home!" He keeps calling my name! "I wanna go home! I wanna drive my Chevy!" I said "With what? It's in your eyes!! I can't see your eyes!"

BANE

BANE

I don't think damage to the frontal lobe should damage your emotions that much...that's amygdala-basal ganglia region, which is deeper than the frontal lobe. It could have affected your ability to reason, problems solve, plan, etc..., which certainly may have altered your personality. I imagine you probably had deeper damage if your emotions are affected.

Although the frontal lobe is associated with appraising situations, so that could have played a part in your emotion issues...

Quotepeople hear bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline, etc and jump to conclusions--dehumanized and made into a clinical definition rather than person.
That's not really psychiatrists' fault...

antipsychotics lower brain activity and are known to cause feelings of soullessness, yet are prescribed for mundane things like insomnia and depression, in addition to the severely ill where it might actually be the best option. neuroleptic candy, sandy.
They block dopamine receptors because that's one of the most commonly held models of schizophrenia (that it's due to excess dopamine). So in a sense yes, they do lower brain activity, but it was already overactive.

I've never heard about the feelings of soullessness before, but then again I've never had first hand experience with any of these illnesses, so I can't really comment. I seem to recall something like that from "A Beautiful Mind", and I may have heard it in one of my neuroscience classes, but I have forgotten it.

The problem with many of the treatments for mental illnesses that exist today is twofold: Firstly, for many of them we don't know exactly how they arise and what the exact problems are (what systems are affected); secondly and consequently, the treatments that are available are simplistic and only treat one system, when many interconnected systems are (almost definitely) involved.

For example, the typical treatment for depression is Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs). I won't go into how they work, but they act to increase the action of Serotonin. These take weeks to show symptom alleviation, and for some people (depending on the type of depression) they may not even work. However, it had later been found out that Norepinephrine also is involved. So SNRIs (which act on both serotonin and norepinphrine) are also used. They're usually more effective, as they act on more systems. But we also know that a substance called Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) is reduced in depressed patients (this is involved in the growth and survival of new neurons and the strengthening of synapses, and is therefore essential for learning and memory). So these illnesses are complex, and we don't even understand them fully yet. Plus, we're unable to be specific in where the drugs act in the brain (how do you target one part of the brain only?), and even if we could find a drug that works, it might be impossible in humans as it may be too large to cross the blood brain barrier.

So it's complex as all f**k, it's an absolutely brilliant organ, and the slow progress in the development of medications for these illnesses is a testament to this complexity.

KirklandSignature

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed