What answers did we get from the Blu-ray?

Started by AlienĀ³, Oct 09, 2012, 05:18:36 PM

Author
What answers did we get from the Blu-ray? (Read 27,113 times)

Marlowe

Marlowe

I think the movie gives itself some info too. The fans are always wishing for answers, but some do not even see the obvious in the movie.
For me the film was in part very interpretative. In others was very explanatory.
One of the parts that I like most is the jingle of David.

When some of my friends ask me for something I 'am normally answering : I believe I can
;)

I don't know about you but I think the film has depth when he (David) uses it.

LarsVader

Quote from: Terx2 on Oct 10, 2012, 10:22:11 AM
[...] and Fifeild's maps were affected by the electric strom thing.
How? What did I miss?

Terx2

Quote from: LarsVader on Oct 10, 2012, 10:43:13 AM
Quote from: Terx2 on Oct 10, 2012, 10:22:11 AM
[...] and Fifeild's maps were affected by the electric strom thing.
How? What did I miss?

It's implied. He struggled to stay connected to the ship and due to the storm there camera feed starts messing up.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gash on Oct 09, 2012, 08:11:34 PMDidn't Shaw get out of the med-pod, re-seal it and blast freezing coolant gas over the creature? That's what I recall.

She blasted it with something and it went limp, so 'freezing coolant' is as good a guess as any. Unfortunately for the writers, audiences tend to not forget a squid monster that they have just seen extracted from a woman's abdomen in a science fiction film set on an alien planet in the Alien universe, no matter how 'limp' it looks. :P

Quote from: Terx2 on Oct 10, 2012, 10:22:11 AM[...] and Fifeild's maps were affected by the electric strom thing.

Except that Milburn gives Janek his exact coordinates during the storm?

Terx2

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 10, 2012, 10:54:42 AM
Quote from: Terx2 on Oct 10, 2012, 10:22:11 AM[...] and Fifeild's maps were affected by the electric strom thing.

Except that Milburn gives Janek his exact coordinates during the storm?

Was that after or before the storm? I can't remember. The holographs on the ship were mess up during the storm as though. The communications either got stuffed up as well or Fifeild was already high from smoking he was just walking in circles ;D

Marlowe

The camera and the holographs were ok. But Janek said they would have some problems with communication.

Terx2

Quote from: Marlowe on Oct 10, 2012, 11:05:04 AM
The camera and the holographs were ok. But Janek said they would have some problems with communication.

The video feed from the monitors were. As Fifeild puts back on his helmet because the captain tells him its gonna get cold.

Marlowe

Yeah..the communication seems ok too.. My bad. The problem was only to rescue them.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Terx2 on Oct 10, 2012, 11:01:09 AMWas that after or before the storm? I can't remember. The holographs on the ship were mess up during the storm as though. The communications either got stuffed up as well or Fifeild was already high from smoking he was just walking in circles ;D

Actually it is not clear whether it was during or after the storm - there is no mention of the storm after it hits, so who knows. The fact that Janek has to ask them for their position rather than just seeing it on the hologram indicates that communications were still screwy, so I had just assumed that the storm was still a problem.

Either way, it doesn't belie the fact that (a) they got lost before the storm hit and (b) despite the storm and having exact coordinates at any given time they continued to be lost.

I would like to hear the film makers explanation for this dilemma, if there is one at all.

Terx2

Quote from: Marlowe on Oct 10, 2012, 11:16:29 AM
Yeah..the communication seems ok too.. My bad. The problem was only to rescue them.

That's ok. I only remember that scene because Fifeild told the captain to tell Shaw and Holloway to "Go f**k themselves." and the captain laughing as static plays over the f**k part of Fifeild's sentance :laugh:

ChrisPachi

Just checked and the storm is still raging when Milburn gives Janek his coordinates, for whatever that's worth.

Terx2

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 10, 2012, 12:11:03 PM
Just checked and the storm is still raging when Milburn gives Janek his coordinates, for whatever that's worth.

I'll take your word for it. After all I haven't seen it since the cinemas and I'm relying on my memory. I'm gonna be download this off itunes tomorrow to refresh my memory.

Space Sweeper

BANE

BANE

That's pretty funny.  :laugh:

I was watching the film on Blu-Ray last night and I realized several things.

1) When they enter the atmosphere of LV-223, it appears as if they've been sending out signals, hoping for a response from the engineers. They get none, but one of the guys says they're picking up spots of heavy metals on the planet. The atmosphere doesn't contain these heavy metals (Nitrogen, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide and argon traces is what we're told). They then seem to be heading in a specific direction, and find the installation within minutes. And I was wondering: did they go towards where the heavy metal spots were? If that were the case, then that may be why they seemingly instantly found the Engineer structures.

2) The 36 hours thing may not, actually, be a mistake. We know Weyland terraformed. Is it possible it was based on the time of another planet, whose days were longer than Earth's?

3) Holloway appears to be drinking not because he didn't get to meet with the Engineers, but because he was freaked out and stressed from almost losing Shaw in the storm. The 'not getting to speak with them' angle seems secondary.

4) The 'no contagion present' line is not incorrect: they put the head in a decontamination chamber to make sure it was sterile. As we all know, this is a helmet. The helmet may have been decontaminated and no contagion present on it. But it clearly didn't scan the interior, the actual head.

5) The electrocution is definitely not responsible for the explosion of the head, as they pull it out and the head continues to go crazy for a little while afterwards.

6) The crew appears to have been exploring a little while when they come upon the hologram, going some way to explaining why Fifield and Millburn got lost.

7) Fifield and Millburn getting lost is still a bit weird, and so I took some mental notes throughout the whole ordeal.
a) Fifield says 'the pups say go this way'. As there is no destination that they seem to be heading for, this line seems to indicate that Fifield is simply following the pups further into the structure, and does not imply that he has access to the map, merely locations of the pups.
b) The pups mark the individuals' locations, but doesn't register them moving (i.e it indicates their initial positions, but in the hologram on the ship these stay where they are despite the crew moving further into the structure). After everyone leaves except Fifield and Millburn, only those two have signals left, but they are still in the same spot. Somehow, the others' were deactivated. This would explain why Janek asks for their position instead of checking it himself.
c) Fifield and Millburn still have access to coordinates, but these would prove quite useless if you're lost.
d) Janek has no contact with Fifield and Millburn until he realizes they're lost. This indicates two things. Firstly, Janek must not have even paid attention to them when they left. Why? No idea. Probably thought they wouldn't need help, was watching the non-cowardly crew, and paying attention to the shitstorm approaching. Secondly, it indicates that F and M didn't realize they were lost until it was too late, evident in their 'We've been here before'.

8 ) The worms appear to be in the structure naturally, as there's some near the entrance of the ampule room, and directly underneath an ampule (when they first begin to leak, we immediately see worms trying to wriggle out of the goo).

9) The Shaw Baby Part 1: Why didn't Ford and Co. follow Shaw when she ran out? Well, Ford and the other guy were wearing biosuits which were made of some sort of soft plastic: Shaw pushes the see-through bit of the other guy's suit into his face. The rest of the suits was similarly fragile, like modern day biohazard suits. Therefore, her hard swing of the instrument would certainly have caused significant harm, as the suits were weak and not meant to take a physical beating. Ergo, they didn't follow her.

10) Shaw Baby Part 2: How is Shaw able to run around? I've already worn my keyboard out talking about constantly being pumped with future drugs and topically applied anaesthetic dulling the pain. But what I hadn't noticed was, mere moments after the surgery, we get a glimpse of her wound and it appears to have completely healed, and only a flesh-coloured scar remains. This may still very well be painful (as we see with her constant moaning), but it nonetheless provides a reason why the wound didn't re-open. How did it heal so fast? I don't know. Maybe the topical anaesthetic had a healing effect too. No idea.

I might have more later, but lunch time is now.

Alright, I'm back.

11) It appears as though the live feed to the Prometheus isn't actually recorded. As Cvalda brought up in another thread, why wouldn't Janek and co. check the tape before going out to find Millburn and Fifield? Shaw has a recording of her expedition that she watches before her sex with Holloway. Which leads me to believe that the videocamera feeds are saved somewhere in the wiring of the suit (Shaw had access to the suit, played back the video), but the live feed to the ship is simply that: a live feed, not saved there. Either that, or we accept that Janek and co. didn't think before going out.

12) When Weyland, David, Shaw and co. go out to find the last engineer, we see something contradicting 7 b): They have moving signals. I'm lost at this point. I'm assuming they have added beacons to their suits, as we clearly see nobody's signals moving earlier.  :-\

Nightmare Asylum

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed