Ridley Says No to Extended Cut

Started by Valaquen, Oct 08, 2012, 02:46:51 PM

Author
Ridley Says No to Extended Cut (Read 59,265 times)

goneja

goneja

Part of me highly doubts that his true "director's cut" just so happened to fit the studio's desire for an exactly two hour movie. There was a lot that could have been explained more. Scenes like the Engineer touching the chanedlier... no real reason to cut an intruiging scene like that out. Alot of the other deleted scenes are totally sketchy though and only seem to reinforce Ridley had no idea what he was doing, honestly. Some of them are cringeworthy. I am a fan of Prometheus and not a hater but the deleted scenes, while some add to the film, some simply show Ridley was a bit clueless on how to make this film.

Ridley has a lot to live up to with the sequel. We can't have this nonsense a second time or the entire series will fail.

BANE

BANE

Character development is the real issue this movie suffers from. The deleted scenes go a long way to fixing the problem, so whether they're in the movie or not isn't an issue for me, as long as I know where they belong and what they add to the table.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Prime113 on Oct 11, 2012, 04:54:45 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think Lucas admitted problems  during the days of their release. Nobody would do that. I'm sure when Prometheus 2 is getting into pre-production, Scott will come out and say stuff like "We're gonna fix this, a problem we had with the first film" and stuff like that. And, it was either the editor(though I think Ridley would have power over him) or FOX that cut the film down. As a few people have said, companys will give...stipulations... Like, in order for this film to be rated R, it will need to be 2 hours or less, for more screenings per day. Also, as many people have said, Scott is quite the busy man lately, also his brother did die last month...I think we should give him a break.

A good and thoughtful post.  I agree with it all, besides that last line. :laugh:  If his brother died during production, I could understand if it affected his film.

From all of the extras and interviews, it points to Ridley being the man who made all the calls.  Even Lindelof backpedaled and hailed the mighty Ridley for everything.

To be fair, Scott made some great calls, like the use of practical effects instead of full CGI, but these things were buried by oversights where the script was concerned.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 11, 2012, 05:39:28 PM
Quote from: Prime113 on Oct 11, 2012, 04:54:45 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think Lucas admitted problems  during the days of their release. Nobody would do that. I'm sure when Prometheus 2 is getting into pre-production, Scott will come out and say stuff like "We're gonna fix this, a problem we had with the first film" and stuff like that. And, it was either the editor(though I think Ridley would have power over him) or FOX that cut the film down. As a few people have said, companys will give...stipulations... Like, in order for this film to be rated R, it will need to be 2 hours or less, for more screenings per day. Also, as many people have said, Scott is quite the busy man lately, also his brother did die last month...I think we should give him a break.

A good and thoughtful post.  I agree with it all, besides that last line. :laugh:  If his brother died during production, I could understand if it affected his film.

From all of the extras and interviews, it points to Ridley being the man who made all the calls.  Even Lindelof backpedaled and hailed the mighty Ridley for everything.

To be fair, Scott made some great calls, like the use of practical effects instead of full CGI, but these things were buried by oversights where the script was concerned.

With that last line, I meant during the time he would have done a Directors Cut. I can't imagine editing a film I just completed, let alone one that has already been released to pretty good reviews, a few weeks after my brother has died.

I bet, in a year when FOX has racked in all the cash from the regular Prometheus DVD/BR, they will come to Scott and say "Hey, we made some good money with Prometheus DVD/BR. We're willing to finish the effects for the old scenes if you'd rearrange them for a Directors Cut." ....Or something to that effect.

But, yes, it does look like Scott made most of the major decisions, that's why I image it was FOX putting stipulations on his Theatrical cut.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 11, 2012, 02:26:38 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Oct 11, 2012, 12:25:39 PM
Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 11, 2012, 07:53:26 AM
And this is why Fox and Ridley i will not be buying this film,  the only film in the entire franchise that i will NOT BE BUYING.

Time for us all to learn,  never ever trust them again.

Where the fuc* does "trust" come into it? He's a film maker not a doctor or politician...

Trust comes the fuc* into it when they said the Blu Ray would be a longer cut,  try to keep up.  From his lying cheating mouth himself.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=44190.0
You're weird... even in these parts, you're weird...

Hudson

Hudson

Ok, no way is the acting "great" in this movie. Idris Elba's accent is abysmal, worse than Casper van Dien in Python. It was embarrassing to sit through.

I think Milburn tried to pull off some country accent a couple times as well, or else is voice is just odd.

RagingDragon

I was confused by Fifield's accent, and swear it changes a few times.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 11, 2012, 08:53:35 PM
Ok, no way is the acting "great" in this movie. Idris Elba's accent is abysmal, worse than Casper van Dien in Python. It was embarrassing to sit through.

I think Milburn tried to pull off some country accent a couple times as well, or else is voice is just odd.

I think Spall (Milburn) tried to pull off the accent. Because in some scenes you can clearly hear that Southern drawl and in others it's completely absent. Hooray for consistency. 

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 11, 2012, 08:55:08 PM
I was confused by Fifield's accent, and swear it changes a few times.

That'd be Millburn's. And you're right, it does change.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 11, 2012, 04:49:39 PMWhat really bothers me after everything's said and done is how Ridley is still staunchly ignoring the glaring problems in his film. [..]

Garrhh, your post made me mad too! Where is my damn pitchfork! ;D

I agree with you for the most part, but I just can't be pissed off about it anymore. It is what it is and while a cut that fixes the abysmal pacing of the second half is definitely something I would like to see, I am willing to appreciate it for what it is and hope for more. There are crap movies in most film franchises and that's OK I think, it doesn't 'murder' the franchise like some people here are claiming.

But even if Ridley does agree with us he is no doubt contractually obliged not to bag the film while it is still being marketed. I am pretty sure that even Fincher didn't do that, and he hated his movie.

SM

SM

I could never work out what accent Nooms was trying to pull off.  Didn't sound terribly English.  Why not just make the character swedish?

Fassbender was good though.  Everyone else was adequate.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2012, 10:35:07 PM
I really expected a lot of the actors to knock it out of the park. But most of 'em didn't even have a bat to play with.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2012, 10:35:07 PM

I could never work out what accent Nooms was trying to pull off.  Didn't sound terribly English.  Why not just make the character swedish?

Yes, Repace's accent bothered me too.  Especially when the obvious intention was to portray her as a Londoner through Lucy Hutchinson.  She is a very good actress of course and not her fault she is badly cast, but her accent is all over the place at times, what the hell was Scott thinking I wonder!!

Valaquen

Valaquen

On the topic of accents I can't help but laugh at Kate Dickie's - it sounds so forced, and she is Scottish ... oh no, I don't sound like that, do I? :(

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: BANE on Oct 11, 2012, 05:15:02 PM
Character development is the real issue this movie suffers from. The deleted scenes go a long way to fixing the problem, so whether they're in the movie or not isn't an issue for me, as long as I know where they belong and what they add to the table.

Poor character development and even poorer editing I would say!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed