Ridley Scott might add 20 minutes to a Prometheus Extended Cut (+ more info)

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Jun 11, 2012, 02:37:46 AM

Author
Ridley Scott might add 20 minutes to a Prometheus Extended Cut (+ more info) (Read 41,495 times)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

If this has been posted earlier, I apologize!  But here is a new interview, courtesy of Prometheus Forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9t02XlBpwEI#!

Sir Ridley discusses the length of the original cut of Prometheus (2 hours 27 minutes), ideas of longer cuts of movies in general, a deleted scene involving Noomi and an axe, and little hints about Blade Runner 2.

ShadowPred

That's enough time to show pretty much most of the things we know were cut.

PredatorsInstinct

I wanna' see what the Proto does next, considering it has nothing to do lol, nobody to kill, one maybe two things too eat... xD, its gunna' be one lonely thing

(I'm trying my best not to be a spoiler lol)

Cvalda

Well, there we have it. It's essentially ALIEN 3 all over again. We won't actually see the film til its home video release. Yay. ::)

Of course, even at two and a half hours this film won't even touch the Assembly Cut of A3.

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

I wonder what's in his contract when he direct a movie.  I wonder if part of his contract is owning part of some percentage of DVD/Blu-ray sale?  But I'm f**king happy that we are getting the true director's cut.  I'm praying it will be close to what we got with Kingdom Of Heaven Director's Cut.  KoH DC IMO is almost his masterpiece.

Sorry Cvalda.  Alien 3 is still a POS no matter what cuts it gotten.  Alien 3 does not exist.

Sharp Sticks

Too bad they put Damon in that suit for the whole interview. Couldn't hear a thing he said.

In other news, Ridley Scott: still crazy.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 11, 2012, 02:43:30 AM
Of course, even at two and a half hours this film won't even touch the Assembly Cut of A3.

Few things could compare with that ropey dogburster and a slew of modern British thespians all rendered anonymous and inaudible for about an hour-forty-five.

As to the cut, I do think we saw exactly what Ridley intended - for the theater.  He's a businessman first.  He calculated what would make the most money and cut it down accordingly for the theater per day, and slashed it down to do so.  He put out the would-be PG-13-if-not-for-the-medpod cut, and held back the longer version with the R violence for Blu/DVD.  It may be a crass consumer calculation, but it's a smart one.

Cvalda

Quote from: PROM3TH3US on Jun 11, 2012, 02:49:23 AM
Sorry Cvalda.  Alien 3 is still a POS no matter what cuts it gotten.  Alien 3 does not exist.
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 11, 2012, 02:53:41 AM
Few things could compare with that ropey dogburster and a slew of modern British thespians all rendered anonymous and inaudible for about an hour-forty-five.

Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

SpeedyMaxx

I would reply, but I don't speak macro.

whiterabbit

From how I take it, the movie is 2 hours because that was most convenient to commerce. It was the best way for everyone to make money, including the theaters?

I also really wish he kept in the Noomi/SJ fight. Forget diminishing the SJ, not having the ax battle really diminished Noomi's character. Sure the SJ took a shot to his suit and shrugged it off but I'm sure an ax to the back of the knee would have knocked him down a notch. That's nothing to be ashamed of as it would have f**king hurt.

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, it was cut down that much for more daily showings.  I think we also got the PG-13 cut plus the surgery, which put it over the top with the MPAA.

I do hope they restore everything for the home release, and that, given the success of the film, they don't bother with cutting so much for the sequel.  Avengers did great with a longer running time, and now this franchise has proven itself again.

Alienseseses

I generally find that the tighter edit is the more absorbing one, so cutting down fights doesn't bother me. But if there are other scenes cut that added to the characters, I'm game.

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, everyone I went with - admittedly, mostly people who work in the field - said it was just long enough and that nothing should be added but the final fight at the end.  I'm either too naive or too idealistic because I disagreed.

ThisBethesdaSea

Ridley was barely comprehensible per his usual schtick.

I actually LOVE Alien3. It was the only sequel out of 3 to attempt to get the tone of ALIEN right. In terms of Prometheus not holding a candle to ALIEN3.....

bleau

Good to hear there is deleted scenes/cut footage that we will see.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed