Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 90,863 times)

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: BANE on Sep 04, 2012, 04:03:10 PM
I need to watch again, but my recollection was that it was just 'match', not  '100% match'...which is plausible.
it is like you said. they just show the dna animation on the screen getting on top of eachother and a big text that says match. they don't give any number

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: BANE on Sep 04, 2012, 04:03:10 PM
I need to watch again, but my recollection was that it was just 'match', not  '100% match'...which is plausible.
I saw it twice and remember 100%, as did a couple of the people we saw it with (we all remarked on it afterwards). We could be wrong though.

Cvalda

Cvalda

I clearly recall it just saying "MATCH"--no number. Either way, it's still dumb.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

They are as much phisically different to us as a tutsi is different to a caucasian - or what have you.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Sep 04, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
They are as much phisically different to us as a tutsi is different to a caucasian - or what have you.
But a tutsi and a caucasian would have pretty much the exact same DNA--they are both of the same species. :P

What's stupid about the Engineers and us having the exact same DNA is that there's, oh, a billion years of evolution between the two to account for. And also why the Engineers themselves haven't changed at all in that time.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

But they look like us, as said.

The idea is dumbfounded to begin with IMHO.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 04, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Sep 04, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
But a tutsi and a caucasian would have pretty much the exact same DNA--they are both of the same species. :P

What's stupid about the Engineers and us having the exact same DNA is that there's, oh, a billion years of evolution between the two to account for. And also why the Engineers themselves haven't changed at all in that time.
Prometheus and bad science: http://mylespower.co.uk/2012/06/07/bad-science-in-ridley-scotts-prometheus/

Cvalda

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Is... is the dialogue extract in that article verbatim?

Cvalda

Cvalda

What, this?:

QuoteElizabeth Shaw: We call them engineers.
Fifield: Engineers? You mind telling us what they engineered?
Elizabeth Shaw: They engineered us.
Fifield: Bullshit.
Millburn: OK so do you have anything to back that up? I mean look, how do you discount three centuries of Darwinism? How do you know?
Elizabeth Shaw: I don't but it's what I choose to believe.

Yes.

But that's not even the really bad dialogue--of which there is pllleeeenntttyy more.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 04, 2012, 07:05:41 PM
And also why the Engineers themselves haven't changed at all in that time.

er... er.... hrm... http://bigthink.com/ideas/26647

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 04, 2012, 07:29:58 PM
Yes.

No... no... They're out of their minds!

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 04, 2012, 07:42:10 PM
er... er.... hrm... http://bigthink.com/ideas/26647
"So in other words, chances are, decades from now, we'll look pretty much the same."
Uh, no shit.

A billion years from now, if our species is even still around (it won't be by all odds), we will most certainly look drastically different than we do now. To say that we won't is just silliness.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 04, 2012, 07:48:25 PM
A billion years from now, if our species is even still around (it won't be by all odds), we will most certainly look drastically different than we do now. To say that we won't is just silliness.

The point in the article is that we are now (mostly) in control of our own evolutionary process. I doubt that we'll have extra limbs or webbed hands by the year 1000000000 AD ..  :laugh: nah.. mankind will probably stick with what has worked.

the big changes will probably come in the way of man/machine interaction with enhanced cybernetics etc... or changes at the chemical level, with enhanced control of our own DNA to eradicate hereditary sickness etc.. etc..

and guess what.. that's pretty much what we get with the engineers in the film :P No biomech in the first "Engie" we see. The newer models we got in touch with on LV223, though...

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 04, 2012, 07:55:44 PM
the big changes will probably come in the way of man/machine interaction with enhanced cybernetics etc... or changes at the chemical level, with enhanced control of our own DNA to eradicate hereditary sickness etc.. etc..
You're still thinking at an immediate level of time, though. A billion years is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Long enough for bacteria to turn into protists into arthropods into fish into amphibians into reptiles into rodents into monkeys into apes into us. And yet in allllllllllllllllllllllll that deep time, the biggest change the Engineers go through is to don a tapir suit? And still tend to some little ball of savages for no clear purpose? It's so ridiculous.

A race that advanced, a billion years after seeding Earth with life--why would they still even care? Why would they still even have frail physical bodies that can get burned in a ship crash and face raped? I'm sure a billion years of technological development would allow them to, I dunno, ascend to a higher plane of existence like the aliens in 2001 or somesuch--but no, they're still just a bunch of tall pale guys who throw a temper tantrum and decide to wipe out all life because Space Jesus got crucified. What kind of idiot ancient aliens are these?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed