Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 90,855 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: tmjhur on Sep 03, 2012, 11:16:19 AM
Also regarding C sections. Don't they remove your guts and place them on a tray?
I was really hoping for the ultimate gross out ever. Didn't happen unfortunately. You know, something to actually rival the beloved chestburster.

Honestly, I thought the scene held up on its own while remaining a great callback to the original. Even though I knew it was coming (damn trailers) it was still very tense and hard for me to watch.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 03, 2012, 03:16:58 PM
Also regarding C sections. Don't they remove your guts and place them on a tray?
I was really hoping for the ultimate gross out ever. Didn't happen unfortunately. You know, something to actually rival the beloved chestburster.

Honestly, I thought the scene held up on its own while remaining a great callback to the original. Even though I knew it was coming (damn trailers) it was still very tense and hard for me to watch.
Agreed. Nothing comes close to the original chestburster in terms of shock value... but the c-section was at least semi original and felt 'Alien'ish'.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

My birth would be so much more f**king awesome if they did remove the guts.

T Dog

T Dog

I wasn't dissing the C section scene. I just thought it would be gorier.
F**king trailers man. What a way to go and ruin the movie. If it wasn't in the trailer then none of us would have known.

Vickers

Vickers

My only gripe about the c-section scene is that we knew it was coming.  If they didn't include that in the trailers, that would have been amazing.  Ridley really thought they had that under wraps, didn't he?  I remember him mentioning this secret scene that would rival the chestburster scene and for a minute I thought that maybe there was something else we didn't know about - turns out the trailers included way too many spoilers. :-\

T Dog

T Dog

Ridley is quite arrogant and it doesn't help the quality of his movies.
His perception of things is very different to how they truly are.

I think he was going on about how epic their story was and this and that blah blah blah (I can't remember).
In the end there was very little story in this movie. A story needs a beginning, middle and end (no shit!).
This movie is actually like a 2 hour prologue with some bad film-making decisions along the way.

It would be better if they got a good ambitious director who knows how to weave a good story to do the next one (if anybody cares). Although I'd feel bad for that new director as they have to build upon something that's got a wonky foundation. And they've already pointlessly butchered Giger's work along the way by making everything shiny and post Minority Report in aesthetically (it works great for Thee Minority Report though).

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Sep 03, 2012, 09:57:03 AM
I was looking forward to seeing my friend's reaction when I went to see it with her, but the only thing that bothered her was the fact Shaw seemed awful athletic immediately following a c-section.

"So, the whole scene with the baby alien ... "
"It was bullshit! You couldn't run around and pull yourself up like she was at the end after a c-section. You're not allowed to lift anything for, like, a week afterwards."

I read about criticisms of Shaw running around after the c-section, but once I saw the film a) it's the f**king future and b) she's doubled over in pain is nearly every second shot.

QuoteIn the end there was very little story in this movie. A story needs a beginning, middle and end (no shit!).

:laugh: It had plenty of story, it just didn't have a proper ending.

QuoteRidley is quite arrogant and it doesn't help the quality of his movies.

Yeah Alien sucked balls.  And don't get me started on Blade Runner.

chupacabras acheronsis

the music wasn't the best choice for "scaring the shit out of you",
you gotta admit.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2012, 11:14:43 PM
I was looking forward to seeing my friend's reaction when I went to see it with her, but the only thing that bothered her was the fact Shaw seemed awful athletic immediately following a c-section.

"It was bullshit! You couldn't run around and pull yourself up like she was at the end after a c-section. You're not allowed to lift anything for, like, a week afterwards."

I read about criticisms of Shaw running around after the c-section, but once I saw the film a) it's the f**king future and b) she's doubled over in pain is nearly every second shot.

QuoteIn the end there was very little story in this movie. A story needs a beginning, middle and end (no shit!).

I'm talking about the 73 year old Ridley Scott. Not the one of the past. I like a lot of his films. Even the ones that get slated.
But I think he's become all about simply satisfying certain aspects of characters and story, a kind of "yeah that's good enough, that'll do" attitude. He doesn't seem to creating anything of overall excellence anymore.

And Prometheus had very little story. It's story was that God visited us and then finding out God created us. Wow. HUGE story. Prometheus had a lot of plot though. Bad, messy, awfully paced plot.

Nightmare Asylum

By those standards, Alien had perhaps even less story. People go on an Alien planet and get killed.

Granted, Alien is a much better structured film than Prometheus.

SM

SM

Quite.

Extremely deep story that....

T Dog

T Dog

Maybe I should have made my point clearer and more rounded.

ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER have very simple stories. One is essentially a slasher movie, the other is about a hit man.
But they are both dripping in atmosphere and are perfect mood movies that pull you into their world and explore a lot of ideas in their subtexts.

Prometheus fails at creating a consistent mood and atmosphere that you can sink into and fails to follow through on it's potential saving grace which is a well told story with a beginning, middle and end.

They decided they wouldn't tell us the whole story for the sake of commerce and thought they could patch up the holes with some monster movie moments.

It's a 2.5/5* - 3/5* movie tops.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2012, 11:14:43 PM

PLEASE tell me you're being sarcastic.  :o

Nightmare Asylum

Speaking solely from my own opinion here, I thought the mood and atmosphere of Prometheus were near perfect. Very reminiscent to the style of Alien but still very much its own animal. I'd be lying if I said I was bored at any point during the film.
Prometheus's problems, for me at least, lied in the structure of the film. The editing and pacing had plenty of problems that I would love to see improved.

SM

SM

^ It wasn't anywhere as immersive as Alien and there's some well documented dumb stuff, but I more or less agree.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed