Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel

Started by ikarop, Aug 01, 2012, 04:01:38 PM

Author
Fox Talks Prometheus Sequel (Read 90,690 times)

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Blacklabel on Aug 02, 2012, 07:13:46 AM
Spaihts has made solid well reviewed scripts (mostly for unproduced pictures).. but he's still renowned for being a decent writer... bit unfair to criticize him for a script of his that was quite rewritten by Lindelof.

Darkest Hour had a troubled production from what i hear...

I have no doubt that Lindelof, who wrote for the muddled Lost also had his part for mucking things up. And Scott does share some of the blame for not catching some of the WTF moments.  I will be interested to see what the two scripts looked like when the blu ray is released.

Wonder how Duncan Jones would do handling the writing and/or directing a prometheus sequel. I thought Moon was a great piece of sci-fi, and had a very meager budget.

JKS1

JKS1

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 02, 2012, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 01, 2012, 10:50:51 PM
Terrible movie? yet nobody HERE compares it to anything else other than itself.  Its a gem.

A gem infers it was shiny, polished and considered valuable to all. Whether you liked it or not, I think the troubled controversy surrounding its release demonstrates it far from qualified for that description.

And it got compared a lot to the other films in the series. I'm unsure what you mean by claiming otherwise.

Quotepeople may not agree on the details and thats pretty much it. The details.

Like Hitler and Stalin disagreed "on the details"? I mean, there's a fairly huge gulf between its fans and critics... Some proclaim it to be a masterpiece and others call it a travesty. It's not people quibbling over a few minor plot points.

Quote from: orchidal on Aug 01, 2012, 11:38:47 PM
Exciting news. There was no question that a sequel needed to be made.
Hope they get the mood of the film right this time around.

But do we really need this to be a trilogy? I mean really?

It never "needed" a sequel to be made. It's clear from all the interviews, so far, that they were partly making it up as they went along and don't have some grand, 'Babylon 5'-style masterplan of where to steer it in the future.

This may be a good thing. It may also equally be bad.

We're in for a bit of a quirky ramble, no matter what happens. At least, if Sir Ridley of the Scotts is involved in any capacity other than producer. If he's the director, we'll be getting more of the same. Don't go holding your breath for greater inclusion of Giger, authentic biomechanical aesthetics, genuinely scary psychosexual horror or any of the rest - if he wanted to have included that, it would have been in this one and he's already said that he's happy with the edit we saw.

Pretty much agree with you Xenomorphine

With no Lindelof I'm sort of vaguely interested, and even more vaguely, extremely cautiously optimistic

Re. Ridley Scott: 'he's happy with the edit we saw'......really ??!!!.........he really said that ??!!!............really ????!!!!!!!

(I cant think of a worse film that had his name attached to it than Prometheus.........had he been hanging out with George Lucas around the time he read Lindelof's script?)

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Ash 937 on Aug 02, 2012, 06:13:06 AM
Very few sequels are better than the original film. 

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Aug 02, 2012, 05:06:14 AM
Prometheus was a solid success for Fox and pretty well received.  If the film was being written off as some 'error,' this would not be happening at all. 

The people that are calling it a success are only doing so because the movie made more than it cost to make.  Sometimes that has very little to do with the actual quality of the film.  Prometheus was hyped and people bought into it as Ridley's grand return to sci-fi film making.  There was no way it wasn't going to have a promising opening weekend.  But the film suffered a sharp decline in revenue a week after it was released because the reviews were bad and people where determining that it wasn't the film they thought it would be.  So building hype for a sequel might be difficult at this point.  Faith might be lost for many...as it is for me.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be impossible for a sequel to be successful but there might be less good faith than there was the first time around.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Aug 02, 2012, 05:06:14 AMIt was the third best film in the series, and it's the right way to go forward.  Huzzah. 

In the original "quadrilogy" I'd say it's the worst one.  If you throw the AvP films into the mix, Prometheus is only better than AvP:Requiem imo.
I don't think that's correct. 'Success' is usually attributed to positive reaction as well as financials...

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 02, 2012, 11:34:06 AM
Quote from: Master on Aug 02, 2012, 09:48:09 AM
Jockeys should be much older extinct race that Engineers are trying to emulate.
I dig.
Never gonna happen, however.

After Ridley's comments about meeting 'god' in the sequel, you never know.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: newbeing on Aug 02, 2012, 11:54:17 AM
Spaihts has made solid well reviewed scripts (mostly for unproduced pictures).. but he's still renowned for being a decent writer... bit unfair to criticize him for a script of his that was quite rewritten by Lindelof.

I have no doubt that Lindelof, who wrote for the muddled Lost also had his part for mucking things up. And Scott does share some of the blame for not catching some of the WTF moments.  I will be interested to see what the two scripts looked like when the blu ray is released.

Wonder how Duncan Jones would do handling the writing and/or directing a prometheus sequel. I thought Moon was a great piece of sci-fi, and had a very meager budget.
But when they gave him bigger budget he made average though entertaining Source Code.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 02, 2012, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 01, 2012, 10:50:51 PM
Terrible movie? yet nobody HERE compares it to anything else other than itself.  Its a gem.

A gem infers it was shiny, polished and considered valuable to all. Whether you liked it or not, I think the troubled controversy surrounding its release demonstrates it far from qualified for that description.

And it got compared a lot to the other films in the series. I'm unsure what you mean by claiming otherwise.

Quotepeople may not agree on the details and thats pretty much it. The details.

Like Hitler and Stalin disagreed "on the details"? I mean, there's a fairly huge gulf between its fans and critics... Some proclaim it to be a masterpiece and others call it a travesty. It's not people quibbling over a few minor plot points.

Quote from: orchidal on Aug 01, 2012, 11:38:47 PM
Exciting news. There was no question that a sequel needed to be made.
Hope they get the mood of the film right this time around.

But do we really need this to be a trilogy? I mean really?

It never "needed" a sequel to be made. It's clear from all the interviews, so far, that they were partly making it up as they went along and don't have some grand, 'Babylon 5'-style masterplan of where to steer it in the future.

This may be a good thing. It may also equally be bad.

We're in for a bit of a quirky ramble, no matter what happens. At least, if Sir Ridley of the Scotts is involved in any capacity other than producer. If he's the director, we'll be getting more of the same. Don't go holding your breath for greater inclusion of Giger, authentic biomechanical aesthetics, genuinely scary psychosexual horror or any of the rest - if he wanted to have included that, it would have been in this one and he's already said that he's happy with the edit we saw.

Could be wrong, but I was always under the impression Prometheus was originally in 2 parts, that the second half had 'probably' already been written. Lindelof himself discussed in numerous interviews how he and Riddles deliberately evaded answering certain questions, leaving things open for a "possible" sequel. We've all debated the idea niether of them really knew the answers, but let's assume we were wrong, and there were certain things they didnt want to reveal this time. I wouldn't be suprised if a rough draft of the screenplay had already been written at least, who knows, maybe Lindelof and Scott actually did the whole thing.  This film may not have been for a lot of people, reguardless of its faults, but even I found plenty to like, and it was hardly going to fail financially with all the hype anyone could see at that, in my opnion it was always guarenteed a sequel and maybe these people are already 2 steps ahead of the game.     

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Aug 02, 2012, 02:08:30 PM

But when they gave him bigger budget he made average though entertaining Source Code.

Its been a while since I saw it, but I remember really liking Source Code. Not as much as Moon, but it was really good nonetheless.

I don't know about Duncan Jones and Prometheus, however. His two films were solely about the humanity of the characters, while Prometheus is more about conveying grand ideas. Still, if he was given the oppertunity to helm an Alien or Prometheus related film, I would love to see it.

But if anyone should come over to this franchise from Moon, I would have to say Clint Mansell. His music and this universe would make for an excellent pairing.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 02, 2012, 02:37:33 PM

Its been a while since I saw it, but I remember really liking Source Code. Not as much as Moon, but it was really good nonetheless.

I don't know about Duncan Jones and Prometheus, however. His two films were solely about the humanity of the characters, while Prometheus is more about conveying grand ideas. Still, if he was given the oppertunity to helm an Alien or Prometheus related film, I would love to see it.

But if anyone should come over to this franchise from Moon, I would have to say Clint Mansell. His music and this universe would make for an excellent pairing.

Agreed. I don't know if Moon would have had the impact it did without that soundtrack.

I think Prometheus kind of lacked the humanity of the characters element or at lease they felt glossed over. I never really felt Prometheus met that EPIC that Ridley was promising and rather found myself wanting to know more about the character's and their reaction to the grand discovery that was placed before them. I'd like to see them take that conversation that Halloway had with David and expand upon that, but I feel like they're probably going to take the more action oriented route over the more philosophical one.

zakzak

zakzak

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 02, 2012, 02:37:33 PM

Yes, I agree with Duncan Jones being a very promising filmmaker after MOON & SOURCE CODE. He could be a very interesting candidate for PROMETHEUS 2. And Clint Mansell, I swear I hear his cues when watching PROMETHEUS. His score for Arronofski's FOUNTAIN is dark, epic and mesmerizing.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I wonder if Prometheus 2 will end up leading up to Alien? My guess is that they will have Prometheus be a trilogy.

LIG

LIG

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Aug 02, 2012, 07:46:24 PM
I wonder if Prometheus 2 will end up leading up to Alien? My guess is that they will have Prometheus be a trilogy.

Can't remember the exact quote but its been said the sequel will move away from the Alien films and a 3rd would be needed to bridge the gap between the two

I assume the sequel will follow mostly David/Shaw and some bits on LV-233 as I doubt they went to the trouble of putting the Deacon in without thinking of using it in a sequel!

Found this on another site. A few comments seem new to me.

Prometheus Sequel Slated For 2014/2015 Release

The eagerly anticipated follow-up to the blockbuster is being actively pursued by studio Fox but co-writer Damon Lindelof may not be available to work on it due to scheduling conflicts.

Fox told The Hollywood Reporter: "[Sir Ridley Scott and Fox] are actively pushing ahead with a follow-up," and looking to a 2014 or 2015 release.

Ridley has previously hinted at the name for the sequel which is expected to again feature Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace.

When discussing what he envisages in the second movie, he referenced the film's original working title, 'Paradise', suggesting it will be used next time.

He said: "From the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel."

"I really don't want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to Shaw saying, 'I don't want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from.'"

"I'd love to explore where [Dr. Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there because if it is paradise, paradise can't be what you think it is."

The director views paradise in his movie as "sinister and ominous".

He added: "Because [the Engineers] are such aggressive f*****s. I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/prometheus-sequel-slated-for-20142015-release_1381807

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I still think 2015 is likely since it been a few years since the first film came out and that will give them time to work on the movie. If go for a 2014 release date then Fox will try to rush out it as fast as possible given that we are half way through the year.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

It got 91% in Rottentomatoes! That means it close to being excellent!

acrediblesource

This may be a strategy on part of Fox's considering that Avatar is being pushed indefinitely to 2015. 2014-15 could be a scifi segue to this all things considered.
James Cameron  will be doing the first non R movie sequel, and who knows it may be kick ass or it may need the reinforcement (help) of other movies in it's genre.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Aug 02, 2012, 09:12:48 PM
I still think 2015 is likely since it been a few years since the first film came out and that will give them time to work on the movie. If go for a 2014 release date then Fox will try to rush out it as fast as possible given that we are half way through the year.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed