A Prometheus Theory of Evolution.

Started by Nero the Jackal, Jun 03, 2012, 01:56:25 PM

Author
A Prometheus Theory of Evolution. (Read 9,270 times)

Promethean Fire

Quote from: HudsonHicks on Jun 03, 2012, 05:09:37 PM
Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Jun 03, 2012, 05:05:07 PM
Yeah maybe, have you noticed that if humans were created by engineers and they started as ape-like, then they had fur but as they became more human, they have lost all that fur. Engineers have no hair at all from what we could see of it, not even eye brows, so maybe humans were slowly becoming like them though physically weaker.

Yeah I had picked up on that theory. Like you said "maybe humans were slowly becoming like them though physically weaker". Maybe we were meant to become exactly like them, but as I've already alluded to something perhaps went wrong in the evolutinary process (such as being physically weaker) which is why they were returning to destroy us.

Perhaps, they weren't returning to destroy us?  Perhaps they were returning to evolve us?  The Black Substance would take us to the next step in the evolutionary ladder, rather like the Monolith from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

We only assume that they are destroying us because the cargo hold LOOKS like a payload of weapons ready to be used.  And that one single Engineer goes on a killing spree.  His actions are still unclear.  Maybe he was sickened by the bastardisation that was David?  The humans attempting to create life?  Perhaps he had a low level infestation ala Holloway, and started to go feral just as Fifield does.

So many possible answers.  In fact, I'm starting to appreciate a bit more the film on this level at least.  But that is possibly just because my own imagination is being stimulated which is merely a bi-product of interpreting a writer's perceived ambiguities.

Nero the Jackal

QuotePerhaps, they weren't returning to destroy us?  Perhaps they were returning to evolve us?  The Black Substance would take us to the next step in the evolutionary ladder, rather like the Monolith from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

We only assume that they are destroying us because the cargo hold LOOKS like a payload of weapons ready to be used.  And that one single Engineer goes on a killing spree.  His actions are still unclear.  Maybe he was sickened by the bastardisation that was David?  The humans attempting to create life?  Perhaps he had a low level infestation ala Holloway, and started to go feral just as Fifield does.

So many possible answers.  In fact, I'm starting to appreciate a bit more the film on this level at least.  But that is possibly just because my own imagination is being stimulated which is merely a bi-product of interpreting a writer's perceived ambiguities.

Maybe it was cryo sickness, Ripley once said that being in cryo too long has side effects.

judge death

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 03, 2012, 05:18:34 PM
Quote from: HudsonHicks on Jun 03, 2012, 05:09:37 PM
Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Jun 03, 2012, 05:05:07 PM
Yeah maybe, have you noticed that if humans were created by engineers and they started as ape-like, then they had fur but as they became more human, they have lost all that fur. Engineers have no hair at all from what we could see of it, not even eye brows, so maybe humans were slowly becoming like them though physically weaker.

Yeah I had picked up on that theory. Like you said "maybe humans were slowly becoming like them though physically weaker". Maybe we were meant to become exactly like them, but as I've already alluded to something perhaps went wrong in the evolutinary process (such as being physically weaker) which is why they were returning to destroy us.

Perhaps, they weren't returning to destroy us?  Perhaps they were returning to evolve us?  The Black Substance would take us to the next step in the evolutionary ladder, rather like the Monolith from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Exactly :D But the effect I get is that i cant wait to see a prometheus 2 movie now XD Want answers goddamnit! :D

HudsonHicks

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 03, 2012, 05:18:34 PM

Agree with that senitment entirely. I left the cinema feeling pretty hollow but the more I thought about the film the more I've started to appreciate it. I like films that get better the more you analyse them, it beats being spoon fed the whole plot during the film. But in this instance I think we could have been weaned a little more. Just too many damn questions and not enough answers which like you so well put results in our immaginations going into overdrive.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Well Ridley knew that questions will be raised and he said the sequel could answer some of them though they said the sequel would be even further away from Alien.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Jun 03, 2012, 05:24:57 PM
Maybe it was cryo sickness, Ripley once said that being in cryo too long has side effects.

:D  Yeah, the dude had to take a wee moment when he got out that pod.  I thought he was ready to hurl.  :D

Quote from: judge death on Jun 03, 2012, 05:25:29 PM
Exactly :D But the effect I get is that i cant wait to see a prometheus 2 movie now XD Want answers goddamnit! :D

Quote from: HudsonHicks on Jun 03, 2012, 05:26:05 PM
Agree with that senitment entirely. I left the cinema feeling pretty hollow but the more I thought about the film the more I've started to appreciate it. I like films that get better the more you analyse them, it beats being spoon fed the whole plot during the film. But in this instance I think we could have been weaned a little more. Just too many damn questions and not enough answers which like you so well put results in our immaginations going into overdrive.

I'm glad that this has provoked some conversation, debate and pure imagination amongst fans.  Don't get me wrong, the film still suffers.  Shallow characterisation, sloppy editing.  But ultimately, its got the gears churning in our minds.  I haven't thought this much about a film since Inception.

HudsonHicks

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Jun 03, 2012, 05:33:01 PM
I'm glad that this has provoked some conversation, debate and pure imagination amongst fans.  Don't get me wrong, the film still suffers.  Shallow characterisation, sloppy editing.  But ultimately, its got the gears churning in our minds.  I haven't thought this much about a film since Inception.

I was reminded of Inception when David is able to view Shaws dreams and later use the same technolgy to communicate with Weyland. Meaning it must be possible to infiltrate someones dreams as well as merely view them

Promethean Fire

Quote from: HudsonHicks on Jun 03, 2012, 05:36:17 PM

I was reminded of Inception when David is able to view Shaws dreams and later use the same technolgy to communicate with Weyland. Meaning it must be possible to infiltrate someones dreams as well as merely view them

I think this sparked a whole other debate in another thread.  Lets not go there! lol

Nero the Jackal

David was very good and creepy, i like how fassbender portrayed him.

Some films do require the viewers to piece things together, i actually think the confusion was intentional.

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: HudsonHicks on Jun 03, 2012, 05:36:17 PM

Is that what the visor was? interesting but how would Weyland communicate back? perhaps once David connects, the dreams becomes lucid or Weyland becomes more conscious. Nice bit of tech. A lot of people are saying that Prometheus is odd because it has  better tech even though it is set 30 years before; but the mission in Prometheus was heavily financed and even some characters acknowledge the rarity of some tech (the med-bay tube)
In alien, the nostromo was just a space truck that is used to haul ore and  other materials and the crew not really that important, so they did not get paid much or have a good budget for their ship, hence the poor state and the need for repairs.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Jun 03, 2012, 04:40:56 PM
yeah, that's it. interesting question though, maybe the engineers in Alien (they are bigger) created the engineers in Prometheus.....just a wild theory.

That's not actually too bad, since it could explain:

Spoiler
These Engineers designing their suits in the way they are.
[close]

In other words, it's a form of worship of their own creators, itself.

Either that or they started out as the Space Jockeys' original crew/assistants.

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 05, 2012, 05:24:31 PM
yeah, that's it. interesting question though, maybe the engineers in Alien (they are bigger) created the engineers in Prometheus.....just a wild theory.

Spoiler
[close]

Maybe they had a caste-like society in which each member was different in size and appearance according to their caste. i.e the space jockey in alien was perhaps a "captain" and so was bigger than the others who were workers or scientists.
Just another wild theory. :laugh:

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Jun 05, 2012, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 05, 2012, 05:24:31 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Maybe they had a caste-like society in which each member was different in size and appearance according to their caste. i.e the space jockey in alien was perhaps a "captain" and so was bigger than the others who were workers or scientists.
Just another wild theory. :laugh:

Yeah, I can definitely picture a Queen Space Jockey, Warrior Space Jockey, Drone Space Jockey, Runner Space Jockey and so on and so forth.  :D

Nero the Jackal

:laugh: i know it is insane but it is possible that while human-looking, they may had a much different and complex  culture and society than ours...than what is already obvious of course.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Well here's my theory, which I wrote on another thread but is extended here, though I should point out there's nothing really solid in the movie to suggest any of this, I still think some of it could happen since we really know so little about what really happened, but anyway here goes....

What if we only existed on Earth in the first place by chance, all because of this sacrifice engineer from some other cult, who acted against their Elders nearly 4 billion years ago, because they wanted to find out where they came from?  In the course of time they discover their true origin, that they were once humans who would develop into engineers, so now we know what we are destined to become, why they visited us and would help us. Further to this, what if this cult didnt just create life on Earth, but they made this sacrifice to discover their origins in 5 other Earth-like places, hence the star map is created stating that human life existed elsewhere in the galaxy.  When the Elders found out what this cult has done (4,000 years ago) they were very angry and begin creating a bio-weapon to remove all traces of their creations, and the reason is simple. They dont want the process to repeat itself again because it could threaten their own existance, they know what man is capable of through the ages because they had experimented long ago and decreed no one shall do it again. The cult is destroyed but all the Elders know about is the existance of the 6 planets. They sent out young soldiers to deploy this bio-weapon (the Hammerpede), created from another goo that gave life, also created by the Elders which the cult had stolen, and has now existed for 2000 years, the time it has taken for the Elders to extinqish man on 5 of the known planets and now we are the last. But before they can unleash this weapon upon Earth it gets loose on LV-223 and turns on the soldiers, forcing them to abandon their station.

As for what may have happened to those soldiers (engineers).  My theory is it's the Hammerpede's that create the black goo, which contains 1000's more in microscopic form, and is stored in urns by the engineers to keep them under control.  The engineers knew once the goo comes into contact with an atmosphere, those Hammerpedes would grow and spread quickly by attacking and laying their young inside the head of their victims, which would in turn feed off the brain before leaving by the mouth like the 'mother'.  What the engineers didn't know, and where things 'could' have gone wrong, is with the goo itself which they thought was some kind of harmless preservative to sustan the Hammerpede's young.  But when one of them escapes and an Engineer accidentally comes into contact with it, the goo unexpectedly developes into somethng else inside him. This is where the original xeno eventually comes from, and the whole incident is recorded as murals to warn others against tampering with it, both creatures are eventually captured and destroyed.  What they dont realise until it's too late, is the same infected Engineer also came into contact with others.  Further infection quickly spreads causing an outbreak and the soldiers are forced to abandon the waystation.  Only a few Juggernaughts escape the massacre, and even then at least one of them is still carrying the infection.  This ship manages to land on a nearby planatiod we later know as LV-426 and it's last occupant sends out a warning for all vessels to stay away, and the rest you could say is history.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed