Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 326,092 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BANE on Oct 11, 2012, 10:08:32 PM
'That could have saved them'. <-- That's what I was commenting on. Because it couldn't.
Actually, if no one touches the thing like an idiot, or doesn't cut it in half with a knife again, they should be definitely be protected with their helmets on.

BANE

BANE

If it attacks them, it won't matter what they're wearing, it can break their bones and crack a hole in the suits. Thus the whole 'helmet on or off' thing is in and of itself a pointless piece of nitpicking on the part of the article writer. (in this instance, at least: the original helmet removal by Holloway and co. is still a good question). Because if it doesn't attack them, it doesn't matter. If it does, then it doesn't matter, it killed Millburn regardless by popping his bone through the suit and wiggling its way to his face. If anything, his helmet screwed him more, because he was trapped inside it with the thing.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Unscientific spaceships are one thing, but unscientific scientists is something else altogether. This film is set just as much in the Idiocracy universe as it is the Alien universe. ;)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BANE on Oct 11, 2012, 10:25:07 PM
If it attacks them, it won't matter what they're wearing, it can break their bones and crack a hole in the suits. Thus the whole 'helmet on or off' thing is in and of itself a pointless piece of nitpicking on the part of the article writer. (in this instance, at least: the original helmet removal by Holloway and co. is still a good question). Because if it doesn't attack them, it doesn't matter. If it does, then it doesn't matter, it killed Millburn regardless by popping his bone through the suit and wiggling its way to his face. If anything, his helmet screwed him more, because he was trapped inside it with the thing.
So apparently the hammerpede's main method of attack is to wrap around an arm and break it, so that your arm bone goes through your suit (this will happen every time, just like that), allowing it to slip in there after it widens the hole with acid from a wound, etc. It's definitely going to repeat this attack every time.

Best to go in without helmets, then, yeah. Totally worthless.

None of this makes their decision to go in there with helmets off any less stupid.

Also something shockingly stupid highlighted by that article about the helmets being taken off: they have just contaminated an alien ecosystem. Lulz--we're scientists who have just discovered an apparently pristine alien habitat...let's take our helmets off and potentially exhale Earthbound microorganisms all over everything!

But wait, maybe it's, like, a metaphor for, like, how Western settlers came and introduced European diseases and stuff, etc!

This film is so deep.

BANE

BANE

Marvelous.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Gash

Gash

Just watched Prometheus on Blu-ray and I've come to the conclusion that any issue I had with the film was based on the fact that the trailers revealed too much. After more than four months I've come back to it anew, and not having the expectation helps a whole lot in evaluating the film fairly. If I hadn't seen the juggernaut or the Jockey chair, or any of the spoilers (and there were loads) I would have been all the more wowed by my first exposure to the film. But of course when there was this expectation that things had been held back - when there wasn't, then that was an initial disappointment.

But now, the only flaw I can see is the choice of Pearce in old age make-up, not that there's anything wrong with the acting, but it it would have been more credible with an older actor.

Nothing wrong with the plot. It has a sense of wonder and it has menacing moments. The Hammerpede scene is pretty relentless on second viewing, as is the med-pod. The film does feel epic but also intimate and emotional in places. I don't have a problem with the music, or (shock horror) the editing. The creature designs are a deconstruction of Giger, the first step towards the ultimate weapon, or an off-shoot of the ultimate weapon, so they are far more fitting than having a perfect Giger recreation.

I admit I like some of the deleted scenes, particularly Vickers and Janek, which would have been a nice bridge before returning to the waking Shaw.

Also, I have to say that many of the character issues don't seem a big deal to me, the best example being Fifield and Millburn as most of the issues raised around them appear to be addressed in the film. Janek's deliberately trying to spook them with news about the 'lifeform' after they've found the bodies and given that, I think their return to the ampule room as a place to take refuge is reasonable. I also don't see a problem with being enthralled by the Hammerpede - here again the deleted worm scene would have helped but as he is shown wary of the Hammerpede and also of trying to win over the trust of the creature (to calm Fifield) I think the scene works. Also, on second viewing it's more apparent that Janek's assumptions about the facility don't come out of the blue and neither does his sacrifice. Although as stated above, the Vicker/Janek scene wouldn't have harmed the flow of the film at all.

Is it as original as Ridley claimed? No, of course not, but then I imagine he isn't a follower of sci-fi. What he's done though is take a few familiar sc-fi tropes and put them on a grand visual scale as he did with  A  L  I  E  N . People have said this film isn't as smart as it thinks it is, well, possibly, but it makes a refreshing change to see some sci-fi that isn't all about super heroes fighing giant CGI effects and where character is at the heart of the story. Yes, I mean that. It's about David and Shaw chiefly, and in that it works.

And actually it's a self contained film. I want to see a sequel because the possibilities it's opened up are intriguing, not because the whole thing is just too ambiguous and needs everything answered.

All in all a fine film I am proud to have on Blu ray, and certainly the only companion piece to   A  L  I  E  N   that I can immerse myself into with any pleasure. Unlike practically any other sequel or prequel this is trying to do something new, not groundbreakingly new to sci-fi, but new to the Alien universe and that is so refreshing.

How anyone could compare this to AvP is beyond me.

PS, having just read through some of the posts on this thread about scientific plausibility, maybe it's rife with problems, I don't know and I don't care. It seems to be more scientifically plausible than the vast majority of sci-fi and if things happened to serve the plot... well, I guess that takes precedence.

Prometheus and Lawless are the two best films of the year for me.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 11, 2012, 10:39:04 PM
Unscientific spaceships are one thing, but unscientific scientists is something else altogether. This film is set just as much in the Idiocracy universe as it is the Alien universe. ;)

Indeed...well said.

And hi everyone.  I missed you guys and gals.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Deuterium on Oct 13, 2012, 06:36:53 PM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Oct 11, 2012, 10:39:04 PM

Indeed...well said.

And hi everyone.  I missed you guys and gals.
Deuterium!

I thought you were dead!

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 13, 2012, 06:39:22 PM

Deuterium!

I thought you were dead!

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110617023029/avp/images/thumb/e/ef/Desp.jpg/180px-Desp.jpg

LOL...no sir, still very much alive and kicking.  I left the site for awhile, which was part of my grieving process for my shattered dreams that were Prometheus.

I have now passed through the Kübler-Ross model, and am now fit to re-join all of you, my friends, in active and healthy discussion.   ;D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Deuterium! Long time no see. I missed you and your Skerrittness.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Oct 13, 2012, 06:54:35 PM
Deuterium! Long time no see. I missed you and your Skerrittness.

Thanks!  Glad to be back in all my Skerrittness quirkiness...including my well founded phobia for ventilation shafts!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No, not that way!

Psssst. Pss.
Spoiler
I didn't like the film either.
[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I think we're all in our own form of shock.  Some journey to acceptance of the film, others have a much darker destination. :laugh:  But I still watch it, frequently, for better or worse.

To make the folk feel better, I'll say that on my most recent re-watch, the briefing scene really has me rolling with enjoyment.  The way Millburn and Fifield pretty much make fun of Shaw and Holloway really makes me happy.

If they would've kept that consistency with those characters, they could've been my favorite in the film.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

New Deuterium posts make me happy. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed