Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,931 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Zenzucht on Jun 30, 2012, 10:10:54 PM
I am seeing (no pun intended) bits and pieces of the movie at work.. It's awesome until Shaw gets the c-section and then since they re-enter the temple/Juggernaut.. I get it that there are several ways to the med-pod area, however, whole crew knows that a) Vickers suite is near and she don't want to see anybody there and b) almost everybody (except Shaw and Holloway) is loyal to Weyland (the person/the company). But, why nobody mentions squid baby? From this, I get feeling that they realized this "plot hole" after the principal photography wrapped and then tried to fix it in the editing room, thus replacing Fifield's rodeo, to make it look like everybody is concerned about the events with Fifield instead of squid baby.

The future will tell..

Why not just watch the whole film already?

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 30, 2012, 03:19:12 PM
I personally didn't think it was terrible, I just didn't necessarily like its connection to the Alien universe.

Vickers death was also pretty f**king stupid.

But people die in stupid ways all the time in real life. Especially spur of the moment, 'oops - shouldn't have done that' sort of ways.

It might have been more interesting had she lived (she will have had a lot more air left than Shaw so could have struggled back to the life pod later after events there had played out) but then do we know for certain she's dead? Shaw also appeared to get crushed at first.

But as I said, I don't think it's a problem that Vickers died from sheer panic in a blind flight from danger.  That's the way people go sometimes. Better that than a protracted movie bad girl comeuppance IMHO.

DaddyYautja

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Gash on Jul 03, 2012, 12:16:40 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 30, 2012, 03:19:12 PM
I personally didn't think it was terrible, I just didn't necessarily like its connection to the Alien universe.

Vickers death was also pretty f**king stupid.

But people die in stupid ways all the time in real life. Especially spur of the moment, 'oops - shouldn't have done that' sort of ways.

It might have been more interesting had she lived (she will have had a lot more air left than Shaw so could have struggled back to the life pod later after events there had played out) but then do we know for certain she's dead? Shaw also appeared to get crushed at first.

But as I said, I don't think it's a problem that Vickers died from sheer panic in a blind flight from danger.  That's the way people go sometimes. Better that than a protracted movie bad girl comeuppance IMHO.
I agree - and from an action perspective, the majority of people I went to see the movie with all thought that entire sequences was one of the best in the entire movie. No one I was wth had an issue with Vickers death scene... rather they were surprised that she died (given it was CT in role).

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gash on Jul 03, 2012, 12:16:40 AMBetter that than a protracted movie bad girl comeuppance IMHO.

She already had her comeuppance when she chicken-shitted it into the escape pod. The problem is that her character was one of the cornerstones of the entire drama, so to have her go yellow-belly and get squashed turned her from what was up until that point an interesting character into the coyote from f**king road-runner.

Dying in stupid ways is fine, but this is drama. Key characters need meaningful arcs, not cartoon deaths.

Alien³

Alien³

I found Vickers death to be quite horrible, I was rooting for her to survive.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 03, 2012, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: Gash on Jul 03, 2012, 12:16:40 AMBetter that than a protracted movie bad girl comeuppance IMHO.

She already had her comeuppance when she chicken-shitted it into the escape pod. The problem is that her character was one of the cornerstones of the entire drama, so to have her go yellow-belly and get squashed turned her from what was up until that point an interesting character into the coyote from f**king road-runner.

Dying in stupid ways is fine, but this is drama. Key characters need meaningful arcs, not cartoon deaths.

I can't agree. What were you after - Vickers strapping herself to a bomb in self sacrifice? She was crushed by the crashing Juggernaut. It's not liked you heard a giant raspberry sound as she was crushed...

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 03, 2012, 08:15:51 PM
I can't agree. What were you after - Vickers strapping herself to a bomb in self sacrifice? She was crushed by the crashing Juggernaut. It's not liked you heard a giant raspberry sound as she was crushed...

Listen to this guy! Plus me and my friends laughed our butts off thinking of this...

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 03, 2012, 08:15:51 PM
It's not liked you heard a giant raspberry sound as she was crushed...

Quote from: Gash on Jul 03, 2012, 12:16:40 AM
to have her go yellow-belly and get squashed turned her from what was up until that point an interesting character into the coyote from f**king road-runner.

I got the feeling she was yellow belly from the beginning.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It was pretty obvious she wasn't thinking from the get-go. All she knew was "run", not "tactically dodge and evade".

AcidForBlood

AcidForBlood

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 03, 2012, 09:08:53 PM
It was pretty obvious she wasn't thinking from the get-go. All she knew was "run", not "tactically dodge and evade".
I agree. She was pretty stressed prior to escaping from the Prometheus. Now that there's a giant ship about to fall on her and her ship just exploded...

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 03, 2012, 09:08:53 PM

Look, i almost got run over by a car once. That thing came at me tremendously fast and i just jumped away and it missed me by inches. Im pretty sure that at the time i wasnt actually thinking, " Hey, i think that car is going to hit me. Maybe i should try to get away in a direction the car might not be going." My body just turned on survival mode and the next thing i knew i was standing on the street in a "ready position" after landing from jumping away and i noticed i peed my pants a little. There were no tactics involved. And that was a car going super fast..... now imagine a ship slowly fall in one direction.

I mean, look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtAKQs9nFmE#

And this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdOOIxcUjAs#

Your body just reacts .

Gash

Gash

Of the videos in the post above: I'd say they were lucky escapes. They reacted, sure, avoiding something not that wide by dodging in the only direction open to them, but Vickers has an immense ship collapsing down on her, she's running in blind panic, she's not looking; she's not thinking, she's fleeing from the sound and vibration of a collapsing giant spacecraft. It would be a more accurate comparison to have someone standing in front of a building being demolished and tell them they can flee as soon as the detonators go off. In all likelihood they're not going to wait and perform a neat side step, they're going to run like hell. They might have to wit to look back and make a calculated judgement but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Highland

Highland

Just another example of people not entirely paying attention to the movie (again)!

The only reason shaw does the side dodge is because she trips over and falls around onto her back. Vickers is in a clear panic and just bolting. Sure it could have been better but once again it's right there on film!!! Plus you have heavy duty rocks and debris falling either side of them (on film).

If anything I thought the fact that Shaw survived the crash via a lucky sticky up rock (That must be made of adamantium) was a bit more unbelievable than Vickers getting crushed. But there you go.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Highland on Jul 04, 2012, 04:09:30 AM
Just another example of people not entirely paying attention to the movie (again)!

The only reason shaw does the side dodge is because she trips over and falls around onto her back. Vickers is in a clear panic and just bolting. Sure it could have been better but once again it's right there on film!!! Plus you have heavy duty rocks and debris falling either side of them (on film).

If anything I thought the fact that Shaw survived the crash via a lucky sticky up rock (That must be made of adamantium) was a bit more unbelievable than Vickers getting crushed. But there you go.

although i found her death too abrupt i did understand why they didnt run to the side. on my second watch there was a lot of debri falling either side of them. that was the only direction they could have run

Highland

Highland

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jul 04, 2012, 04:17:18 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 04, 2012, 04:09:30 AM

although i found her death too abrupt i did understand why they didnt run to the side. on my second watch there was a lot of debri falling either side of them. that was the only direction they could have run

They do actually make a slight bend in their run as if to try and get away (I watched this scene closely on my second viewing) a rock impacts and they both veer off to the side in tandem. I'm not sure if it's a deliberate scene and not shown clearly or just a trick of the camera. The ships just too big and almost seems to take the same path.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed