Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 322,830 times)

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Highland on Jul 04, 2012, 04:09:30 AM
Just another example of people not entirely paying attention to the movie (again)!

The only reason shaw does the side dodge is because she trips over and falls around onto her back. Vickers is in a clear panic and just bolting. Sure it could have been better but once again it's right there on film!!! Plus you have heavy duty rocks and debris falling either side of them (on film).

If anything I thought the fact that Shaw survived the crash via a lucky sticky up rock (That must be made of adamantium) was a bit more unbelievable than Vickers getting crushed. But there you go.

The focus is on Vickers because at least Shaw did something at some point. They were both dumb for just standing there seeing the thing coming at them but Vicks get special focus because she escaped just to be crushed which, i guess, was done for some sort of deep reason but it really just kind of goofy.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Gash on Jul 03, 2012, 12:16:40 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 30, 2012, 03:19:12 PM
I personally didn't think it was terrible, I just didn't necessarily like its connection to the Alien universe.

Vickers death was also pretty f**king stupid.

But people die in stupid ways all the time in real life. Especially spur of the moment, 'oops - shouldn't have done that' sort of ways.

It might have been more interesting had she lived (she will have had a lot more air left than Shaw so could have struggled back to the life pod later after events there had played out) but then do we know for certain she's dead? Shaw also appeared to get crushed at first.

But as I said, I don't think it's a problem that Vickers died from sheer panic in a blind flight from danger.  That's the way people go sometimes. Better that than a protracted movie bad girl comeuppance IMHO.

Less she got crushed by a rolling ship stupid and more we just showed her escaping from a crashing ship for a couple of minutes only to have her crushed moments later stupid.

I fail to see the narrative point there.  She could've died on the ship like the rest of them for all the good it did her.

Gash

Gash

Her flight from the bridge adds some jeopardy to the suicide mission that she wants to be no part of, the narrative point is that it's more dramatic to show the scale of the aftermath of the collision coming down on her, and to show the irony of her escape coming to nought. Don't see a problem.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yet you don't need her for the aftermath since you already have shaw standing planetside.  While you do need irony to show Vickers being crushed and her escape being for nothing, it comes across as an almost cutesy self mocking way of the old corporates are baaaaaadddd (and ALWAYS self serving) motif found in every science fiction film.

Didn't care for it.  Seemed lazy and formulatic to me.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jul 04, 2012, 04:34:59 AM

The focus is on Vickers because at least Shaw did something at some point.

No she didn't. She only rolled over once she tripped over the rocks. Watch it again.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 04, 2012, 05:21:25 AM
Yet you don't need her for the aftermath since you already have shaw standing planetside.  While you do need irony to show Vickers being crushed and her escape being for nothing, it comes across as an almost cutesy self mocking way of the old corporates are baaaaaadddd (and ALWAYS self serving) motif found in every science fiction film.

Depends how you see it... You see it as being lazy/formulaic - but I saw it as portraying how death can come cheaply. No histrionics, no last goodbyes.... It's not like Vickers even screamed in a 'formulaic' way... it was done very matter of factly. "No, no, no, no"... type thing.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Highland on Jul 04, 2012, 10:04:51 AM

No she didn't. She only rolled over once she tripped over the rocks. Watch it again.

So you are saying she didnt do something at some point yet are describing how she did  ???
And you are arguing for people who didnt like that scene to actually include MORE stuff into what they SHOULDNT like  ???  ???  ???

Highland

Highland

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jul 04, 2012, 12:34:41 PM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 04, 2012, 10:04:51 AM

So you are saying she didnt do something at some point yet are describing how she did  ???
And you are arguing for people who didnt like that scene to actually include MORE stuff into what they SHOULDNT like  ???  ???  ???

Well perhaps I misunderstood your post. I was responding to the fact you make out like Shaw made a conscious decision to save her own life while Vickers jogs on her merry way to death. Fact is they were both running like idiots as shown on film. Shaw just gets a lucky break or however you want to interpret that little bit of fortune.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jul 04, 2012, 12:20:47 PM

Depends how you see it... You see it as being lazy/formulaic - but I saw it as portraying how death can come cheaply. No histrionics, no last goodbyes.... It's not like Vickers even screamed in a 'formulaic' way... it was done very matter of factly. "No, no, no, no"... type thing.

That's the I e thing that pisses me off on here, when people say its a lazy film or lazily written. It's not. The production crew have spent the last two years on this film and. Itching in the film merits the term lazy. Everything is intentional. However it can be said to be badly edited for pace. We cannot analyse the script too much purely because of how the film was edited

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jul 04, 2012, 04:00:37 PM

That's the I e thing that pisses me off on here, when people say its a lazy film or lazily written. It's not. The production crew have spent the last two years on this film and. Itching in the film merits the term lazy. Everything is intentional. However it can be said to be badly edited for pace. We cannot analyse the script too much purely because of how the film was edited
I know some of the people who worked on this movie... from what I've seen they were neither lazy in their thought processes or application of labor. Of course that's not to say that hard work, application and intelligence = good product.

Highland

Highland

You've pretty much nailed it. I think you've got to peak outside the box a little though to get that. There's a lot of people in the forum quick to lump everything into the meat grinder without thinking it through.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Death can come quickly for anyone.  I know this.  I'm in the Army and we have as many deaths via accident as we do combat related.

Portraying this doesn't necessarily make it meaningful or artistic.  Spending time on a production doesn't necessarily make a product great either.  See Alien 3 (which I'm fond of, but its not without its problems).

Yall are entitled to your opiniong of course, and I'm not trying to change it.  I just didn't care for it.

BANE

BANE

I loved the film, but I think it was simply a plot convenience thing. Sort of like every action movie having villains who can't hit aim their weapons for shit, consistently missing the hero.

Unless, of course, the debris thing was a genuine danger for the two women. In which case it's slightly more understandable.

Gash

Gash

Well it certainly makes sense that the immense ship is shielding them from the falling debris of the Prometheus, in which case they are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

bioweapon

bioweapon

Here the movie came just 2 weeks ago. And then we have president elections.

So much been said so I just can review some reviews...

Eva review is lovely
Cvalda review is despressing as TFC by Roger Waters
I like very much Xenomorphine logic
Did not find Deuterium review (I really just read 40 pages)

Besides that, I must said something I enjoy that didnt find posted.

Spoiler
I love Theron's Vickers(except for the father scene). She just reminds me of a bad luck Ripley.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed