Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 325,984 times)

mastermoon

mastermoon

The way I see it, first the haters are Anti-Prometheus then like two weeks later they become Pro-Prometheus.

Opinions change over time.

Buster Highman

Buster Highman

No review from me. I'll simply say after seeing it twice that I really liked it.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 18, 2012, 01:17:37 AM

Man, I wish I did hate the film... at least then I would feel something.

I think that's a good point Chris... In that I think in order to vent some of the natural disappointment from feeling underwhelmed by a movie that many of us have been waiting years to be made, and that could never live up to Alien, it's easy to shift focus to the purported plot holes and logic gaps - just in order to make some kind of sense of the feeling of being underwhelmed. I personally didn't feel that way, but I can understand why some do.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: mastermoon on Jun 18, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
The way I see it, first the haters are Anti-Prometheus then like two weeks later they become Pro-Prometheus.

Opinions change over time.
One of the friends I saw it with, upon exiting the theater, said he had no idea what he just saw. Later, he messaged me saying he liked it quite a bit. And even later then, he said to me, "Actually, I hated it."

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm friends with someone who never saw the Alien films, and thought Prometheus looked terrible. He did end up seeing the movie (before I did, actually), and found it to be interesting, but not great by any means; it did, however, intrigue him enough to watch Alien (I'm not sure if he watched the sequels, but I know he saw the first one). Only after discussing the film with me and reading some articles online (particularly this one: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1) did he grow to really love the film.

When I went to see Prometheus last Wednesday with some other friends, I loved it, as did a friend who saw Alien with me a while ago (though if I recall, he found Alien kind of boring). Another friend who just saw Alien with me recently, and part of Aliens on his own, also really liked Prometheus from what I could tell. I let him borrow Aliens and AlienĀ³ a while ago, waiting to hear back about those. A third friend who I saw it with said he understands why people felt let down by the film. I'm not sure if he has ever seen Alien, though.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

What did said friend who thought Prometheus would be terrible think about the first Alien?  :)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 18, 2012, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 18, 2012, 01:17:37 AMMan, I wish I did hate the film... at least then I would feel something.
I think that's a good point Chris... In that I think in order to vent some of the natural disappointment from feeling underwhelmed by a movie that many of us have been waiting years to be made, and that could never live up to Alien, it's easy to shift focus to the purported plot holes and logic gaps - just in order to make some kind of sense of the feeling of being underwhelmed. I personally didn't feel that way, but I can understand why some do.

Yes, we shouldn't confuse resentment towards the fact that the film is average with hatred of the film itself. I think that is lost in translation sometimes.

stephen

stephen

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 16, 2012, 04:25:12 PM
Honestly, with the amount of nitpicking the bandwagon haters are doing, I think people would have complained about the random appearance of a gun.  :-\

There maybe some nitpicking - but my issues with the film from my point of view seem fairly large.  If you and others liked the film, that's great.  I'm not here to change your opinion.

Ultimately the film underwhelmed me.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

My partner has had to live with me obsessing over Prometheus for the past 2 years. He saw it with me on Sunday and he's been telling me that he can't stop thinking about it. It's very interesting.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jun 18, 2012, 10:23:36 PM
What did said friend who thought Prometheus would be terrible think about the first Alien?  :)

Didn't say very much about it, only that he found Lambert to be annoying, and that when he saw the Derelict and the Space jockey it completely blew his mind.

AcidForBlood

AcidForBlood

That's pretty cool. When I first saw "Alien" I had no idea that it was from 1979. I had been told that it had been made a while back by someone so I gathered up some information and saw 1979... wooww. Great movie

Valaquen

Valaquen

Saw it for the second time last night. More enjoyable when I know what to expect. My friends thought Weyland looked like Johnny Knoxville in his old man get-up. Loved the Engineers. Other monsters .... meh. But enjoyed a lot of the score more, and the visuals, as per. David more so, Rapace less so. Still totally annoyed (as were my pals) that Shaw removed her baby and told nobody for the last 30 mins of the film.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 19, 2012, 02:07:51 PM
Still totally annoyed (as were my pals) that Shaw removed her baby and told nobody for the last 30 mins of the film.

That still remains my biggest problem with the movie (well, that and the fact that the doctors or whatever they were gave up on chasing her when she ran to the medpod. Imagine how much more intense the scene would have been if, during the operation, there were two or three people banging on the door and yelling, trying to get it). I really hope that the extended cut fixes that up a bit.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 19, 2012, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 19, 2012, 02:07:51 PM
Still totally annoyed (as were my pals) that Shaw removed her baby and told nobody for the last 30 mins of the film.

That still remains my biggest problem with the movie (well, that and the fact that the doctors or whatever they were gave up on chasing her when she ran to the medpod. Imagine how much more intense the scene would have been if, during the operation, there were two or three people banging on the door and yelling, trying to get it). I really hope that the extended cut fixes that up a bit.

There is defo a missing scene there as Weyland et all not knowing could be excused (given everything that was going on), but we know David knows she was pregnant and has aborted it/had a c-section. So my gues is that it WILL be included in an extended edit (if indeed there is one).

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

It seemed pretty clear that they knew. Certainly David did, and she did run in with a massive scar on her right after being told she was pregnant. The idiots are dead at this point, so I figure they get it.

Saw it again, with a different friend. I paid a bit more attention, and much of it makes more sense. I probably like it more now, and it's officially my favorite movie of the year thus far. My friend loved it too. I didn't think she would, but she's into hard sci-fi and really enjoyed it. She hasn't seen Alien yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed