Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 326,082 times)

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

What was the ping, by the way? It couldn't have been the snake I think, since the worms were always in the dirt in the head room and seemed to be mutated there and settled in there.  Was it really just a glitch?  I forgot what happened when David said he'd try to find/fix the pup.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I assumed the ping was the hammerpede.

The worms may not have shown up at first, but once the team penetrated the ampoule room, the environment was altered.  The urns began leaking, the worms were infected, and at least one grew into the hammerpede - which was large enough to register on the mapping.

David did find the other pup, though.  It was next to the door leading to the bridge of the juggernaut, which was further down in the temple.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 02:41:46 AM
Do you actually remember aliens at all?
The explanation was sound back then at is still today.

It was always sound.  I'm saying it's no different, though - they are ordered to holster the automatic weapons.  Vasquez and co. immediately disregard this and reload after handing Apone their magazines.  They then open fire when the aliens attack, but despite prior warning about the cooling units, nothing explodes.  This is fine for the purposes of the film, in which our desperate heroes have thrown caution to the wind.  What I'm saying, though, is that if something like that happened in Prometheus, not the hallowed film of our childhood, many of the critics here would tear it apart.  "Why did they do that and nothing happens?  What was the point of that?"

QuoteMy problem is the two getting lost.... not where they decided to go while they were in there.

And as we've said before, we have no evidence those two had a full map of their own without Janek and co. to guide them.  Even so, they're in an alien temple, alone at night.  They're not at their best.

QuoteThere is nothing to crucify. Dallas doesnt have an army to find the alien, he comes up with a plan and they go through with it.

And if it happened in this film, people would bash the captain of the ship for doing it himself instead of letting Ripley, who offered first.  I personally never had a problem with it, but I'm saying we are more forgiving of plot convenience in those films we cherish and are able to simply accept as movies being movies.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jun 10, 2012, 02:44:24 AM
What was the ping, by the way? It couldn't have been the snake I think, since the worms were always in the dirt in the head room and seemed to be mutated there and settled in there.  Was it really just a glitch?  I forgot what happened when David said he'd try to find/fix the pup.

There is no answer for it. But it isnt big enough of a plot point to delve into it.
I guess you can say it was a cheap excuse to move the characters into the room but it could have been a glitch.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 10, 2012, 02:48:42 AM
It was always sound.  I'm saying it's no different, though - they are ordered to holster the automatic weapons.  Vasquez and co. immediately disregard this and reload after handing Apone their magazines.  They then open fire when the aliens attack, but despite prior warning about the cooling units, nothing explodes.  This is fine for the purposes of the film, in which our desperate heroes have thrown caution to the wind.  What I'm saying, though, is that if something like that happened in Prometheus, not the hallowed film of our childhood, many of the critics here would tear it apart.  "Why did they do that and nothing happens?  What was the point of that?"

Oh, i get what you are trying to say now.
But i always took at them loading different ammo because once the explosive rounds are all taking away Hicks takes out his shotgun and Frost pulls out a gun. Which i took it as other types of ammo were being used.

And as we've said before, we have no evidence those two had a full map of their own without Janek and co. to guide them.  Even so, they're in an alien temple, alone at night.  They're not at their best.

Even if we ignore them then we have the people in the ship watching the expedition. Why didnt anyone notice these two leaving the group?

There lies the problem with this event, even if you ignore one section there are others that STILL have the idea of getting lost not working.

And if it happened in this film, people would bash the captain of the ship for doing it himself instead of letting Ripley, who offered first.  I personally never had a problem with it, but I'm saying we are more forgiving of plot convenience in those films we cherish and are able to simply accept as movies being movies.

How does that break the plot of that movie?
All you are doing is picking random events and asking why they didnt go this other way for no reason.
Unless Ripley is an expert alien tracker how does the story break because he decided to go?

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I explained what I thought the ping was: The hammerpede.  The film indicates this, I think.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 03:39:34 AM
Oh, i get what you are trying to say now.
But i always took at them loading different ammo because once the explosive rounds are all taking away Hicks takes out his shotgun and Frost pulls out a gun. Which i took it as other types of ammo were being used.

Frost's pistol, yes.  But Vasquez is clearly shown reloading her smartgun after Apone orders them to holster those in favor of flamethrowers and nothing else.

QuoteEven if we ignore them then we have the people in the ship watching the expedition. Why didnt anyone notice these two leaving the group?

They already did notice that.  Fifield and Millburn made it clear they were booking when the others prepared to breach the ampoule room.  They were assumed to be headed outside and Janek and Vickers were busy watching the others examine the main chamber.

How does that break the plot of that movie?
All you are doing is picking random events and asking why they didnt go this other way for no reason.
Unless Ripley is an expert alien tracker how does the story break because he decided to go?

I'm saying it doesn't break the films - and neither does most of what the nitpicks are for Prometheus.  In the case of both films we're dealing with cinematic thriller convenience, and that's fine.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 10, 2012, 03:49:40 AM
Frost's pistol, yes.  But Vasquez is clearly shown reloading her smartgun after Apone orders them to holster those in favor of flamethrowers and nothing else.
Yeah but they cant use anything else with their smartguns on.
To me it just looks everyone is using alternate ammo.

They already did notice that.  Fifield and Millburn made it clear they were booking when the others prepared to breach the ampoule room.  They were assumed to be headed outside and Janek and Vickers were busy watching the others examine the main chamber.

When did they notice that? The one time anyone in the Prometheus says anything about those two is when everyone is already back. Why wasnt anyone worrying about those two?  Heck, who took the truck back? Im going to guess is the security guy who went out with them. And , by the way, if the truck came back alone there was no way that all of the team could get back including those two.
Seriously... this is a mess. 

I'm saying it doesn't break the films - and neither does most of what the nitpicks are for Prometheus.  In the case of both films we're dealing with cinematic thriller convenience, and that's fine.

This isnt a nitpick, you saying that Dallas shouldnt have gone is a nitpick, people getting lost when there several ways the film shows the viewer how they shouldnt is a story problem.

You wanting to ignore all of that is fine, i have no problem with it, but lets not act that there arent some leaps being made here.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

It's been a few hours since my second viewing, and now that I've settled from thinking about the pretty visuals and two of my personal, favorite characters from the film all of the damn time, I'm starting to feel this empty, yet angry sensation inside of me. 

All of these excellent theories and explanations everyone is giving out SHOULD have been at least half-present throughout the film, but we got nothing.  The supposed plot holes everyone is arguing about don't bother me.  What bothers me are all of these unanswered questions and ideas we were given, and the satisfying revelations that were supposed to unfold didn't.  I don't want to have to think about all of these explanations given by outside sources just to like this movie, they really should have been in there.  I left the theater feeling absolutely nothing, and it was only later that I remembered it fondly, if only for the visuals and David's excellent performance.

NOTHING was explained during the movie.  Like Cvalda said, it did indeed feel like a 2 hour trailer for the masterpiece this film should have been.  I'm so f**king pissed, I was really tricked into loving this movie from the excellent start when David roams around the spaceship.  At this point a whole movie about that would be better than what I watched.

As a scifi fanatic who loves anything futuristic/space-bound, the movie gets an 8 from me.  But as a normal cinephile who wants a complete narrative, my score is lowered to a 5.5.  What a missed opportunity, and ban Lindelof from writing any of the sequels and Scott's Blade Runner followup.  He should stay in the realm of television where he belongs.

Please, Neill Blomkamp, Duncan Jones, Alfonso Cuaron.  Save us.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Seeing it again myself tomorrow (for free, thank goodness :P). Hopefully I don't like it even less, as in your case JaaayDee :-\

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Am I the only one who loves that we got no answers?

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 10, 2012, 04:20:18 AM
Seeing it again myself tomorrow (for free, thank goodness :P). Hopefully I don't like it even less, as in your case JaaayDee :-\

Even more, you mean  ;)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I really didn't care about explanations, much.  And neither it seemed did anyone I was with.  People seemed to just love discussing it outside.  It opens up the question from Alien of the jockey a bit, gives you some information, then leaves you with more.

I personally didn't care to have absolute answers from any prequel.  I have some, from which most of the audience seemed able to extrapolate the basics - that the disaster on LV-223 had a widespread effect on the Engineers as a species, thus leading to Alien - that's not a fan guess, that's what the movie gives you.  And from that you can think further.  That's enough for me (for now).  I don't know what else we were supposed to be promised, or what other people expected.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 04:10:35 AM
Yeah but they cant use anything else with their smartguns on.
To me it just looks everyone is using alternate ammo.

I never got that sense.  They're told not to use the guns, and the audience's reaction is theirs - 'f**k that.'  And then Vasquez starts firing and everyone watching the movie gets jazzed.

QuoteWhen did they notice that?

When did they not?  Every moment of the mission was logged and recorded up to that point.  Janek and anyone on that bridge can see for themselves that Fifield and Millburn tell Shaw they're heading back up and leave.  Then the focus is on the ampoule room, and then the rush back to the surface before the storm.

QuoteThis isnt a nitpick, you saying that Dallas shouldnt have gone is a nitpick, people getting lost when there several ways the film shows the viewer how they shouldnt is a story problem.

There is no absolute, positive way they could not have gotten lost.  They're in an alien temple in the dark, scared, and then Janek and co. sign off for the night.  They do not have a map, the mapping grid is onboard Prometheus.  The pups do not supply them with a holographic map.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 10, 2012, 04:34:48 AM
I never got that sense.  They're told not to use the guns, and the audience's reaction is theirs - 'f**k that.'  And then Vasquez starts firing and everyone watching the movie gets jazzed.

Yeah, Gorman tells him this but all Apone does is collect the explosive ammo then everyone either uses the flame throwers, secondary weapons, and with that i took it as other types of ammo were use for the smartguns. If Apone didnt want anyone using any guns at all no one would be pulling out anything else.

Anyway, lets say it was some goof.... can you name a handful of others? Cause this can easily be done with Prom.

When did they not?  Every moment of the mission was logged and recorded up to that point.  Janek and anyone on that bridge can see for themselves that Fifield and Millburn tell Shaw they're heading back up and leave.  Then the focus is on the ampoule room, and then the rush back to the surface before the storm.

When did they not? When everyone got back and NO ONE knew they were missing.
You cant say they knew what those two were doing if when the last people come in some one say finally says, "Hey....where are those two?"

There is no absolute, positive way they could not have gotten lost.  They're in an alien temple in the dark, scared, and then Janek and co. sign off for the night.  They do not have a map, the mapping grid is onboard Prometheus.  The pups do not supply them with a holographic map.

There are way too many things told to the audience by the movie that shows how they could have easily gotten out. You could ignore them but that doesnt change the fact that those things are there. There's communication, the people in the Prom keeping an eye on them, and their wrist mapping device. 3 levels that have to be ignored for this even to actually take place and not be a problem. Sorry but that is just too many to say this is just a small wrinkle.

r888

r888

I love every bit of it , sure it didn't answer the questions but I got what I got a epic sci fi film , and alien f**king awesome

Mohawksinspace

Mohawksinspace

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 10, 2012, 05:51:12 AM

There are way too many things told to the audience by the movie that shows how they could have easily gotten out. You could ignore them but that doesnt change the fact that those things are there. There's communication, the people in the Prom keeping an eye on them, and their wrist mapping device. 3 levels that have to be ignored for this even to actually take place and not be a problem. Sorry but that is just too many to say this is just a small wrinkle.

Actually it's pretty easy if you think about it and makes sense.
The team pulled out in a hurry due to the approaching storm.
It was def a run for your life moment.

If Milburn/Fifield were off doing there own thing and didnt have their helmets/coms activated its easy to conceive they missed the run like hell message.
add in the fact that the place was huge so even if they got the message there is a chance they are not fast enough to make it to the vehicles.

Even when Holloway,David, Shaw and Ford came out the mercs/mechanics had already bolted with the vehicle.
and they took the last atv type vehicles.
Had the ATVs not been there they would have been left behind also.
For all we know (since we were not shown) that the everyman for himself moment is what sealed their fate.
Kinda like the kid who misses the field trip bus cause he hit the john at the last second.
Too much going on to realize they were missing.

Throw in the fact that Fifield did not have a true map to follow and his mapping system only alerted him to where the pips were exploring and not a clear map/exit strategy. Then its time to take into account he was already high as balls and Milburn just followed him around like a puppy/yes man and thats prob what went down.

After the team left no vehicles + killer storm = stuck.

In the end I agree with SpeedyMaxx
ts not a serious stretch.

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

I didn't have any problem whatsoever with Milburn and Fifield getting lost. That's believable to me.

What I did have a slight problem with was Janek's reaction. If you're on a distant planet and have encountered a completely new species who potentially also created us, I would think that's a pretty tense and stressful situation. The way those 2 are ultimately just left there, without anybody really concerned about them, is just one example of how the story of Prometheus just didn't feel quite right to me sometimes. No tension to speak of.

szkoki

szkoki

i watched it 3rd times , Fassbender was right, it is complex as f*ck

there are a lot of themes are going on

- creation /human and robot aswell/
- the robot-human relationship like in blade runner
- David-Holloway-Shaw triangle
- David-Vickers-Weyland triangle
- plus the action

this movie is basicly about David  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed