Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.2%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
149 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.5%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 441

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 323,912 times)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Theron and Fassbender seemed to think the home release would contain 20-30 extra minutes.  I'm more than fine with that.  I just wanted more - others I was with thought it was 'just right' and didn't need any, and they're pretty exacting.  I'd still like more.

I think most of the cuts were, as those two have said, for character bits and trims of existing scenes.  But I also think there's a hard R cut.  I don't think this was it.  I think the surgery scene alone got them an R for their "PG-13."  I want to see a harder version of the big scenes.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

What plot points are we always comparing to AVP? Subbing the Engineers for the Predators as builders of the human race? Though obviously the Engineers played a much bigger hand that than the Predators. All they did was shuffle off a bunch of Aztecs to the arctic to build 'em a f**king pyramid. It's not as if an alien race having an impact on the course of human history is an idea original to AVP...

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Those extra minutes are pointing towards a deleted scene menu for me.  Ridley said that the theatrical release was his definitive cut.  Unless he second-guessed himself....

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 09, 2012, 07:15:05 AM
Those extra minutes are pointing towards a deleted scene menu for me.  Ridley said that the theatrical release was his definitive cut.  Unless he second-guessed himself....
He's either bullshitting or he's crazy.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Director's cut in 20 years people, just gotta wait it out.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I think it's his 'definitive cut' only insofar as he was determined to program as many screenings per day for the commercial release as possible.  Ridley prepared a PG-13 cut and cut this down to just about 2 hours.  He was taking no chances re-launching a franchise.

Now, it's out, it's likely to be a hit and get a sequel.  With that done, all bets are possible for home release and its length.  There will be a director's cut/extended edition.  Everything gets one.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 07:12:11 AM
There has to be an extended cut. Tons of shit was missing, and scenes were clearly hacked to pieces.

I dont really understand why this seems to be the most used excuse.
The editors job is to create a narrative the makes sense, something that an audience can follow.
And if this is what we got..... there wasnt a lot to start with.
I dont believe that there is an editor working in the industry that is just going to grab a movie that makes some sense and turn it into something that doesnt on purpose.
Unless this was his last job and he was really going a long way for a joke or something.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 09, 2012, 07:16:25 AM

I'll most likely have moved on to other, better franchises by then  :-X

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

If Cvalda felt that the editing job was poor, then that's what she thinks. I personally am neutral on the subject because I found no problem with it, except maybe for 1/4th of the film.

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 09, 2012, 07:19:41 AM

Impossible, every single film will be a remake, and most of them will be remakes of remakes of other remakes.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Most trailers these days for big, big shit like this show numerous alternate takes, extended takes or deleted footage in the promotional build.  Prometheus is no different.

I do think it was cut to the quick, but not too much to visibly hurt beyond a somewhat brisk opening arrival at 223.  I was expecting something much more jagged in the second hour based on commentary online, but I think it cuts very well.  Most of the complaints before tonight hinged on the fallout or lack thereof of Shaw containing the squid-baby in cryo freeze in the pod, but having seen it, I thought that explained itself - she froze it, neutralized it, they got it and they need to go see the Engineer - and absolutely no one in the theater gave a shit.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Bizarre re-edit that is most noticeable: Fifield attacking, from what I gather, was supposed to happen after Weyland wakes up, as evidenced by him emerging with his guards during the attack in the trailer. Instead the whole sequence has been jarringly rearranged, a siren overlaid for five seconds over Noomi stumbling down the hallway to try and tie it all together, and the attack lasting all of 30 seconds and having absolutely no effect or impact on the story whatsoever.

Awful.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 07:22:10 AM
Bizarre re-edit that is most noticeable: Fifield attacking, from what I gather, was supposed to happen after Weyland wakes up, as evidenced by him emerging with his guards during the attack in the trailer. Instead the whole sequence has been jarringly rearranged, a siren overlaid for five seconds over Noomi stumbling down the hallway to try and tie it all together, and the attack lasting all of 30 seconds and having absolutely no effect or impact on the story whatsoever.

Awful.

OMG, I agree right here with the fact that it had no impact. God damn characters that died off were f**king cannon fodder, it was disappointing to say the least of this.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Well, what impact was it supposed to have on the story, other than drive forward the point to Janek, Shaw and the crew that this place is bad news and that they cannot let it stand?  It was a monster attack.  The monster attacks, kills people and is then killed.  I thought that cut very well, and I didn't expect it to.  And the victims in that single scene are cannon fodder - like over half the Marines in Aliens, the prisoners in Alien 3, etc.  I do wonder what the alternate version was like.  That would be interesting to see.

I so wish they'd filmed David and Weyland's dream communion on the yacht.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 07:10:13 AM
Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 09, 2012, 07:08:21 AM
Where does it stand in your Alien/Predator collection in terms of awfulness?
At present, it is marginally better than Alien vs. Predator, and just about as relevant to the franchise.

I think there may actually be a decent film somewhere on the cutting room floor, but what's playing in cinemas now isn't it.

Overall...it would be hard for me to place it. It's very different from the other films. It's a franchise unto itself as far as I'm concerned.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 09, 2012, 07:20:55 AM
If Cvalda felt that the editing job was poor, then that's what she thinks. I personally am neutral on the subject because I found no problem with it, except maybe for 1/4th of the film.

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 09, 2012, 07:19:41 AM

Impossible, every single film will be a remake, and most of them will be remakes of remakes of other remakes.

Of course new films will have similar elements, doesn't mean that they can't be done in fresh and exciting ways  :)

Have faith in this magnificent bastard and look forward to what he's putting out for Elysium, which has Syd Mead on board.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed