New TV Spot HUGE SPOILERS

Started by Qwertify, May 20, 2012, 06:44:42 AM

Author
New TV Spot HUGE SPOILERS (Read 162,116 times)

ryanjayhawk

ryanjayhawk

I don't think it's unfair to be a little nervous about the creature in this movie... "Starbeast" was/is/and always will be a pretty stupid deisgn for creature.  It seems like something a kid in elementary school might doodle during class.  So much of the first movie that never made it to the screen is being featured, that when we see "cuddles" and we see other shots that might imply "Starbeast" is the final form for the creature than I'd say it's natural that some people might be worried or disappointed.  Some people are claiming we have only seen two phases of the creature, however if the snake is stage 1, the mouth bursters stage 2, cuddles stage 3, and "Starbeast" stage 4... then we very well could have seen all the stages. 

It's funny that Ridley would talk about how worn out the Xeno is, then decide that an intergalactic space squid is more effective.  In my opinion ther xeno has been effective in every movie, even the horrible AVP movies... it's still just plain scary...

I will still see Prometheus, I'm still excited, I am however a little worried that space squid is the big creature reveal...

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Or that because it doesn't line up with evolutionary theory it's automatically shit....le sigh....

mastermoon

mastermoon

In the TV Spot we barely got to see what the starbeast looks like, all we seen in the commercial was the tentacles.

ryanjayhawk

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: mastermoon on May 21, 2012, 02:00:13 PM
In the TV Spot we barely got to see what the starbeast looks like, all we seen in the commercial was the tentacles.

Google pictures of Starbeast... it's a squid with two legs, a face, and a bunch of tentacles... if the Giger Alien was chosen as a better design for the creature in 79' then it's still the better creature.  I think had Giger not been involved with Alien, it would have been just another B horror movie, instead of what it has become...

mastermoon

mastermoon

Lets wait for pictures of the full starbeast for this movie rather then thinking of the early pictures of it during the 70's.

KirklandSignature

All I want is for the creature to be scary and do more gross things than the original Alien. I mean not anything stupid that Chet did but you know, decapitating, brain eating sorta things.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 21, 2012, 01:56:47 PM

It's funny that Ridley would talk about how worn out the Xeno is, then decide that an intergalactic space squid is more effective.  In my opinion ther xeno has been effective in every movie, even the horrible AVP movies... it's still just plain scary...

yeah... but what you have to take into account is this isn't simply (or doesn't appear to be anyway) a monster/horror movie in the way Alien was. The Alien design was fundamental to the original movie working and it being a success. Let's face it, they'll probably never be a movie with an alien as incredibly designed as HRG's... Ridley knows that. He also knows that the design (as great as it is) is old hat now and it's pointless doing more of the same. I'm sure Prometheus will have some good creature designs, but don't expect anything remotely comparable to HR Giger's. Prometheus will stand or fall not on the creature/alien, but how successful it is at broadening the canvas of the original concept and asking bigger questions, whilst making it entertaining/thrilling... If it does that well enough, the rest will be a bonus.

ryanjayhawk

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 21, 2012, 05:02:26 PM
Quote from: ryanjayhawk on May 21, 2012, 01:56:47 PM

yeah... but what you have to take into account is this isn't simply (or doesn't appear to be anyway) a monster/horror movie in the way Alien was. The Alien design was fundamental to the original movie working and it being a success. Let's face it, they'll probably never be a movie with an alien as incredibly designed as HRG's... Ridley knows that. He also knows that the design (as great as it is) is old hat now and it's pointless doing more of the same. I'm sure Prometheus will have some good creature designs, but don't expect anything remotely comparable to HR Giger's. Prometheus will stand or fall not on the creature/alien, but how successful it is at broadening the canvas of the original concept and asking bigger questions, whilst making it entertaining/thrilling... If it does that well enough, the rest will be a bonus.

The original Alien deisgn was brilliant.  I totally understand that, but if you are going to be as bold as to say that it's been over-used and it's no longer scary your alternative had better be pretty darned good. 

I thought in keeping with the theme, that the creature would have been an evolution of the original alien design... similar in ways but different and new.  It still may be... but with images pointing towards cuddles becoming the starbeast I am concerned.  I may be one of the only people on here so far who is not upset with how the Engineers have been handled...

fiveways

fiveways

As soon as I saw all the reused Giger/Ron Cobb looking sets and designs I figured we would get on of the original pre-giger alien designs.

I'd still rather see it then the Xeno.  That creature needs to be shelved for 20 years.

darthmaul1

darthmaul1

You can't really see anything in that clip, I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler free but for me the creature I'm most interested in seeing is the space jockey

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Well, it's certainly different, a giant sqid-like creature in space is a bold move if nothing else, but I really can't imagine this being the ultimate finale the film is building up to.  At first site what we can see does look a bit rediculous, I can see why some hate it, but this isn't even the money shot for me, I still think/hope there's much more to Prometheus.....

....and my money is still firmly on what we'll recognise as a proto-xeno, who just happen to be gods of the engineers, and who now have reason to destroy mankind.   

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

twitter girl described star beast as..
Spoiler

humanoid - two arms, two legs and with tentacles. the purpose of the creature was to rape people and get them impregnated with more creatures.
[close]

interesting if true.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Kev Loaf on May 21, 2012, 06:21:42 PM
Spoiler

humanoid - two arms, two legs and with tentacles. the purpose of the creature was to rape people and get them impregnated with more creatures.
[close]

interesting if true.

Yes, for all the flak she (probably unknowingly) got on here, it certainly looks like the twitter girl saw at least some of the film doesn't it.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

More like she was a troll who got a couple details vaguely right.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Kev Loaf on May 21, 2012, 06:21:42 PM
Spoiler

[close]

interesting if true.

Wouldn't a romantic dinner by candlelight, followed with champagne by the fireplace, be more effective?  Geez, these aliens never want to work for anything!   8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed