Theatrical or Special Editions?

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Aug 23, 2007, 01:26:56 PM

Author
Theatrical or Special Editions? (Read 12,241 times)

Fitzley

Fitzley

I usually go with what the director wanted or intended for us to see: So with Alien, Ridley Scott was happy with the theatrical version, so that is the one I watch.

Aliens, Cameron prefers the Special edition, therefore, so do I.

Alien3, the assembly cut is probably as close to Fincher's original intention as they can make it, so I prefer that one (in this case I might prefer it anyway because it is such an improvement). I still prefer the dog over the ox bursting though.

Alien Resurrection, not sure, did he want that lame opening? The extra scenes don't really add anything. From what I remember, Jeunet said he was happy with the theatrical and I prefer it as well.

Vader the White

Alien: Theatrical. It's perfect the way it is.
Aliens: SE. I love the Theatrical, but after watching the SE, it feels weird watching the orignal when I miss great scenes and I always liked the sentrys when I first read the script.
Alien3: Can't say since I have yet to see the AC
Alien Res: Theatrical. The extra scenes weren't needed and the alternate beginning and ending sucked.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 23, 2007, 04:41:37 PM

Might be pretty shocking but I don't think I've ever seen the theatrical of Aliens. It's always been the SE that's been on TV and DVD. I listened to the commentary on the theatrical but I wasn't really paying attention.

Either you're younger than some of us or you once owned a laserdisk player. :)

Fixit88

Fixit88

Alien : Special Edition
Aliens: Special Edition
Alien 3: Tough call but I'll go with the Theatrical. The CGI on the Dog/Bull Alien was HORRIBLE at that time.
A.R: Neither, both sucked

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: jaguar V on Aug 23, 2007, 10:58:22 PM
Alien 3: Tough call but I'll go with the Theatrical. The CGI on the Dog/Bull Alien was HORRIBLE at that time.

I agree on the new CG, and I do prefer the dog-burster over the ox, but if I have to choose, the AC wins because of the huge chunks character development that were hacked out of the theatrical.

SM

SM

I cherry pick.  Mostly anything in the SE's, that doesn't contradict what's in the original cut, I'll accept.  Mostly.

QuoteEither you're younger than some of us or you once owned a laserdisk player.

The theatrical cut was on VHS for about 5 years before the SE came out around the time of Alien3's theatrical release in the UK and Australia (and elsewhere).  The SE was never available in the US until the DVD came out.

Dino21AvP

Dino21AvP

Alien: Special Edition

Aliens: Special Edition

Alien 3: Special Edition

Alien Resurrection: Theatrical

Its Game Time

Alien: Directors Cut

Aliens: Special edition

Alien 3: Theatrical edition

Alien res: ugh, i hate this movie ehh, oh well. Theatrical

Bishop2

Bishop2

There's only one shot of a CGI alien in the whole movie - when the alien's head starts to crack at the end after hit with the water.

The rest is actually a puppet manipulated with rods and overlaid on blue screen.  You can see more on the DVD.  It's pretty crazy, and yeah, bluescreen effects were questionable.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 24, 2007, 02:21:45 AM

There's only one shot of a CGI alien in the whole movie - when the alien's head starts to crack at the end after hit with the water.

The rest is actually a puppet manipulated with rods and overlaid on blue screen.  You can see more on the DVD.  It's pretty crazy, and yeah, bluescreen effects were questionable.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, he's talking about the CG Alien in the Assembly Cut.

And the rod-puppet was filmed with a purple screen, not blue.  For what it's worth.  :)

SM

SM

I got a picture here where the sccreen is definately blue.

Fixit88

Fixit88

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Aug 24, 2007, 02:43:16 AM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 24, 2007, 02:21:45 AM

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, he's talking about the CG Alien in the Assembly Cut.

And the rod-puppet was filmed with a purple screen, not blue.  For what it's worth.  :)

Yeah I meant on the Assembly/Extended cut. In much of A-3 the size of the Alien altered quite often. When he ran out of the locked barricaded room, when he chased the prisoners through the halls and the scene where he dropped out of the ceiling in the infirmary to kill the doc, I thought the size and CG of the Alien was inconsistent. 

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on Aug 24, 2007, 02:47:35 AM
I got a picture here where the sccreen is definately blue.

Fair enough.  Maybe it's my memory, or maybe there were multiple screens used.  My memory is the most likely. ;)

hunterv555

hunterv555

I liked th normal versions for 1 3 and 4   but aliens special was great, I loved those sentry turrets, but its to bad they didnt last longer

Corporal Hicks

Alien: I think I'd prefer a fan edit. They're both cool but I prefer neither over the other.

Aliens: Definately the SE. Sometimes I just wanna quicker paced Aliens but the SE adds lots of cool stuff into it.

Alien3: SE definately! If only it was the dog instead of the Ox, it'd be my favorite Alien film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed