So I watched the original Space Jockey Scene last night...

Started by HenryEllis, Mar 26, 2012, 06:11:16 PM

Author
So I watched the original Space Jockey Scene last night... (Read 13,182 times)

Deuterium

Just an observation regarding the purpored 24 hour life-span of the adult ALIEN.

Regardless if one considers this an established "fact" or "canon"...keep in mind that none of the characters in the film would have been aware of this.  If they had this knowledge, the surviving crew would have barricaded themselves in an easily defended area of the ship, and wait out the "clock".

fiveways

Quote from: Henry Ellis on Mar 27, 2012, 07:45:06 PM
Arrogance is the downfall of any successful director and Ridley Scott is far from infallible.  If he thinks he can denounce things the fans of an idea hold as being precious and valuable then he will loose the very thing that has made it possible for him to make another Alien related movie in the first place and thats the fans, and their financial support.  If the movie's shit, people won't go e.g. Robin Hood.

And in doing that he also wins back fans and makes new ones. 

I haven't supported anything financially since renting Alien in 1986 beyond buying stuff related to the original film.  If this was anyone else making this movie, I wouldn't be there.  Neither would anyone I personally know.  He is selling this movie to a lot of people.  The Alien relation is secondary.  It's Ridley Scott doing scifi that drives it to many.

HenryEllis

HenryEllis

SM

SM

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 27, 2012, 12:05:58 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 27, 2012, 06:11:09 AM
Not asking you to.

I meant 'if you don't conisder egg morphing canon'.

Let's get something straight here, I NEVER once said Egg Morphing isn't canon, of course it is, I said in my opinion it wasn't happening to Dallas and THAT'S ALL. I even offer proof in an earlier statement as to why this might happen. As far as I'm concerned the Queen and Egg Morphing are as much a part of the aliens life cycle as the unexplained Queen that appears inside Ripley in Alien3. As for your arguement on the Aliens supposed 24 hour life cycle where the creature would simply die, I'm well aware this was Scott's original intention but there is no evidence to support it would happen, the sequels clearly suggest otherwise and THAT'S the part where I don't agree and therefore to me it isn't canon, ok!     

jeremy_ray

Am I the only one seeing the nod to Cameron with the APC's?  Prometheus descending like the Drop Ship, and disgorging all the paramilitary hardware from it's belly hold, like Cameron's Drop Ship?  Why does a science vessel have military trucks instead of moon buggies?  Stuff that looks like a Mars Rover?   

Then there's the Queen mural . . .

It looks to me like Ridley has wholeheartedly embraced Aliens.  I see no reason to think he's going to wipe it from canon.

About the 24 hour life cycle, it does fit better with the initial idea of the Alien as a biological weapon, but altogether neither of these ideas are well developed.  If you unleash the Alien on a planet, and it kills everyone and then all the Aliens die - you've got a planet with millions or hundreds of millions of eggs waiting for you to move in.  The 24 hour life cycle doesn't help you if the egg doesn't die too.  Apparently they last forever.

Prometheus looks to be setting up the Alien as a botched experiment, which may be the way this all makes sense.  The egg morphing and the Queen can coexist because the life cycle was never finalized.  The Scout may be production ready, with 24 hour life cycle, but they hadn't worked on the termination mechanism for the other Alien types yet.

SM

QuoteAm I the only one seeing the nod to Cameron with the APC's?  Prometheus descending like the Drop Ship, and disgorging all the paramilitary hardware from it's belly hold, like Cameron's Drop Ship?  Why does a science vessel have military trucks instead of moon buggies?  Stuff that looks like a Mars Rover?   

Not as such.  I'm seeing a lot of stuff born out of Ron Cobb's concept art for Alien though.

FUBAR1945

I like the Queen idea but i also think the egg-morphing is a awesome idea. When the Xeno don't have any eggs or a Queen around he can grow his own friend ;D

Ulfer

You're talking about the 24 hour (so to say) idea, but it can't be canon if you consider Aliens, so...

QuoteI like the Queen idea but i also think the egg-morphing is a awesome idea. When the Xeno don't have any eggs or a Queen around he can grow his own friend

I've always thought that both could work together. The Queen would be the normal way of doing eggs, and the egg-morphing, the "emergency way". An alien that would not sense a queen in the vicinity could resort to this possibility in order to perpetuate its kind, but it would not be a normal process and it would require, I don't know, extra "power". I like this idea better than the transformation of the usual drone into a queen (it's easier, and maybe too easy).
The problem, if the Queen is the only one able to produce eggs, is that it lessens a bit the destructive significance of the xenomorph. If we have only in mind the first movie, one xenomorph alone is able to wreak havoc, which means one egg can be used discreetly so as to produce massive damages in good conditions. It's a bit harder when we take the Queen as sole progenitor. By the way, if the SJ are the creators and used them as weapons, they launched hundreds or thousands of eggs on a target, but I think of more localized targets and "infiltrations", of the kind that the Company or the military from AVP R could have done with xenomorphs.

RoaryUK

Quote from: SM on Mar 27, 2012, 10:13:00 PM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 27, 2012, 12:05:58 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 27, 2012, 06:11:09 AM
Not asking you to.

I meant 'if you don't conisder egg morphing canon'.

Let's get something straight here, I NEVER once said Egg Morphing isn't canon, of course it is, I said in my opinion it wasn't happening to Dallas and THAT'S ALL. I even offer proof in an earlier statement as to why this might happen. As far as I'm concerned the Queen and Egg Morphing are as much a part of the aliens life cycle as the unexplained Queen that appears inside Ripley in Alien3. As for your arguement on the Aliens supposed 24 hour life cycle where the creature would simply die, I'm well aware this was Scott's original intention but there is no evidence to support it would happen, the sequels clearly suggest otherwise and THAT'S the part where I don't agree and therefore to me it isn't canon, ok!     

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/u-mad-1.jpg

lol... ^^now then, this guy defnately reminds me of somebody^^  :-\

AsapJockey

No way they live only for 24 hours, or when the Marines arrived at Lv-426 would of just found a dead alien hive, plus they cant make hives in 24 hours...think people!! think !!! 8)

OpenMaw

Quote from: B1-66ER on Mar 27, 2012, 07:38:33 PM
Yeah right ok, but you're wrong.  Kids get written into the script in order to deal with themes that kids can relate to.  Like the dialogue between Ripley and Newt when Newt says, "Mommy always said Monsters aren't real but they are."  That line rips down into the psyche of a child and speaks to their imagination on its own level.  Don't try to tell me that's just arbitrary dialogue when it is clearly aimed at the children Cameron is assuming he has enveloped in the world of "Alien". Oh and George Lucas wishes his star wars prequels were aimed at children, more like they're aimed at his wallet.

I'm not wrong. Most films that young boys (example) watch do not feature young boys in them. NEWT was not in ALIENS For KIDS. She was there for Ripley. She was part of Ripley's story arc. That whole maternal thing? Yes, Newt was a character of her own. She had a family that she lost, she was messed up mentally from the entire thing, but she was there entirely for Ripley to find a the strength to face her OWN nightmare. The line at the end of the movie? "Can I dream?" "Yes honey, I think we both can." Their arcs were connected, but Newt was never put there for kids. Newt's characterization in that scene IS for Ripley's sake. It's there so Ripley can step up and play parent to Newt. Cameron was setting up for future story lines where it would be Hicks, Newt, and Ripley. That never happened, but in any event it wasn't for kids that Newt existed at all. It was for Ripley.

Eagle-Fire

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 28, 2012, 07:53:48 PM
Yeah right ok, but you're wrong.  Kids get written into the script in order to deal with themes that kids can relate to.  Like the dialogue between Ripley and Newt when Newt says, "Mommy always said Monsters aren't real but they are."  That line rips down into the psyche of a child and speaks to their imagination on its own level.  Don't try to tell me that's just arbitrary dialogue when it is clearly aimed at the children Cameron is assuming he has enveloped in the world of "Alien". Oh and George Lucas wishes his star wars prequels were aimed at children, more like they're aimed at his wallet.

I'm not wrong. Most films that young boys (example) watch do not feature young boys in them. NEWT was not in ALIENS For KIDS. She was there for Ripley. She was part of Ripley's story arc. That whole maternal thing? Yes, Newt was a character of her own. She had a family that she lost, she was messed up mentally from the entire thing, but she was there entirely for Ripley to find a the strength to face her OWN nightmare. The line at the end of the movie? "Can I dream?" "Yes honey, I think we both can." Their arcs were connected, but Newt was never put there for kids. Newt's characterization in that scene IS for Ripley's sake. It's there so Ripley can step up and play parent to Newt. Cameron was setting up for future story lines where it would be Hicks, Newt, and Ripley. That never happened, but in any event it wasn't for kids that Newt existed at all. It was for Ripley.

^agreed^

on the lucas issue....
sooooo happy that my 2year old son gets to grow up in a world that has all 6 starwars movies and an awesome cartoon series all being part of the same thing.......:) because thats how i see them.....i love all 6 starwars movies....yes .....allll 6 of them :)

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 28, 2012, 07:53:48 PM

I'm not sure what all Cameron intended, but when I watched Aliens as a child (lol) I definitely related to Newt in the story. Obviously Aliens isn't a kids movie... Also the maternal under currents with the queen, ripley and newt, etc.

Newt added depth to the story in a good way, but probably not intended to attract more children to the audience.

OpenMaw

It was an R rated movie written for young adults. It was most definitively not for kids.

SM

SM

Yeah, a violent movie, with big black monsters  and big gnashy teeth and spidery things is for kids...  ::)

Quote from: AsapJockey on Mar 28, 2012, 07:48:00 PM
No way they live only for 24 hours, or when the Marines arrived at Lv-426 would of just found a dead alien hive, plus they cant make hives in 24 hours...think people!! think !!! 8)

We know... read people!!  read !!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed